Drift tyres

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Damo sx, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Damo sx

Damo sx Member

Hi Guys,

What prices are you paying for tyres (I'm currently running 205/50/16 or anything close) and the cheapest partworns I can find is £15 plus £5 fitting

2. Maverick Smith

£15 is cheap! I pay £20-£25 for part worns! I know that a lot of people say that new grippy tyres are far better, but not everybody has the money for that...

3. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

For drift Tyres? Fuck all.

I go to a few local garages and ask to raid the scrap tyres.

They have to pay to dispose of them and usually pass that charge on to the customers who buy new anyway, so usually happy to let you take whatever.

I bought a manual tyre changer from Amazon for about £35 and just ratchet strap it to a wooden pallet :)

I've got a fair few drift rims. So I usually gather my tyres before an event and change them all at home. Taking as many wheels as I could fit in the car with fresh rubber on them.

Once they're dead, i can take em to the Tip, again for free lol

Main reason was because of the cost of tyres and getting them changed. Keeps cost as low as possible doing it myself lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Secondhand is fine, to an extent.

When you're getting faster (ie 3rd gear) the risk of bigger damage goes up so you want consistency so it's best to run new. Keep an eye open for cheap new tyres in sizes that suit. We tend to get 215/45/17 for around nzd$65/tyre (£30/tyre) and they last twice as long, so if you can spring extra coin at the time it's worth it.

Look for tyres with high treadwear (400+) and ask around what people use. Most will remember the good, and definitely remember the bad

Keeping an eye on tyre pressures after each run and dropping them back down to what you start at drastically lengthens tyre life, secondhand or new

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

i was paying 22.50 for landsails 205/45/17s.

6. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Back in 2010 maybe