drift with diesel engine ?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by undead52, Jan 14, 2018.

1. undead52

undead52 New Member

im just a curious boy and i have a couple of questions, is it worth to drift with diesel engine ? hp or torque more important for drift ? and what about om602.980 mercedes sprinter engine. it is i5, 90kw, 290nm, 2.9L turbo?

2. Saddened

Saddened Member

There already are diesel drift cars, especially mercedes. HP and torque sort of go hand in hand, but for drifting (especially low HP) torque will be more important.
    In the end you are only limited by budget. Just today I have seen a 4000HP diesel quad turbo truck. So it is possibl to get serious with a diesel engine. It will however be much harder for you to start with it because there will be barely any info on it as opposed to a much more common petrol engine. If I were to build a diesel car, I would try to find an early 330d bmw. Straight 6, 3 litre, turbo, relatively simple (compared to todays) and the chassis if very much driftable.

3. undead52

undead52 New Member

actualy the engine in my dad sprinter truck, it sounds very well, i havent seen any mercedes sound like that, what makes it like that idk but i could hear very from far

i drive the truck and i get very fun(i love pushing it 4k rpm for sound :) ).truck is 2.2t on ssadly cant drift with truck but if i swap the engine a low-weight car does it worth that ?

actually i found a video and that truck has not same engine but same sound

One question more i realized when weather gets cold engine sound chances and car has a more throttle response ?

and i learned in that engine you get more 160hp with changing chip? what is that chip? he says chip reprogrammed.

#3 undead52, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. Saddened

Saddened Member

we have very different opinions what a good sounding engine is apparantly

cold air that goes into the engine is more dense, has more oxygen and engines need as much as you can cram in, the more oxygen you have in the cycle the better it works (in loose terms, it produces more HP). That is why autumn is the favourite time for car enthusiasts to drive. It is still dry enough for grip and cold enough for performance.

Chip they most likely mean a part of the engines ECU that tells it how much fuel to spray. If you open the ECU you can take out your factory chip (circuit) and solder in a performance version. That is not at all uncommon. However it is most often in hand with other modifications. Fuel alone will not give performance. You need air too (bigger turbo, more boost).

5. undead52

undead52 New Member

if i chance ECU will it consume more fuel ? or is it possible to make low compsution

6. Saddened

Saddened Member

More fuel in the combustion will empty the tank faster yes, that is a given. Low compression is a whole other thing, it will happen if a bad tune destroys the engine, but that is extreme.

My honest opinion is you should forget about this engine all together and get a mazda mx5 or something to begin with. When your skills are improved, then come back to shoving diesels into light cars.

7. volviz

volviz New Member

or just google - Black smoke racing

488bd921a82b268329cc1b7712b9e328.