Driftworks DW86 - Monster AE86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

Dry sump oil pan modified for clearance over the crossmember and rack.
    [​IMG]

And one for your amusement. This is with the 10" Winters Competition Axle in full bump (touching chassis rails). The wooden disk is a mockup of the actual rolling radius of the tyre we'll be using so we can check how much we're going to have to tub the rear arches (a lot) and most importantly to check ride height, as the sacrifice of having to use bigger wheels comes with one strict stipulation from me: If it doesn't go low enough then it's not happening. It looks like we'll be able to make it go low enough :smokin:. We'll just use the chassis rails as bump stops :D
    [​IMG]

2. Dex

Dex kut!

how is that for tucking rim! haha awesome! but i doubt thats the actual width, right? of the axle, not the wheel :wack:

3. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Track width? Yeah that's it. It's only 2" wider track width than the standard AE86 axle. The arches are going to be ummmmm pretty big.

4. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

linglongs! Lol

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I fucking love where the actual axle pumpkin is sitting inside the chassis! Didnt spot that at first glance lol. In-car diff!

Is not narrowing the axle a goer? Pretty commonplace in the UK for countless applications so shouldnt be hard to get done.

6. Dex

Dex kut!

FUCK ME! haha now that stav mentioned it! that looks like it belongs in a ship or something!

7. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

AE86 with full Driftworks CS2 Coilover / Geomaster Hubs / Lower Arms and Tension Rods. All mounted up to the standard AE86 strut top housings, cross member and tension rod mounts. It's pretty funny how similar Sbodys and AE86's are at the front.

[​IMG]

8. mindgame007

mindgame007 Member

Did you take the spaces for the rose joint out of a pair of 86 tension rods and fit them to the Nissan ones? or did you use rear half of one set and front of the other?
    if so you have just used the rose joint spacers have you got any more spare pairs knocking around. Need to the same to my car as running same at up minus the dw lower arms. but with a 14 subframe. Didn't want to have to buy a set of each if possible.

Thanks
    Al

9. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

We used the rod end spigots and the bracket from the Driftworks AE86 tension rods. We don't have any spares unfortunately. We were lucky enough to already have 86 tension rods fitted to the car. You will be able to cut down the spigots in the Sbody tension rods, but you will have to make a bracket for the mount.

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

There's been lots going on on the car thanks to the looming deadline of having to get the shell to Nickson Motorsport for it's cage this Wednesday morning. There's now been 13 days work done on the car and it's really taking shape.

Jericho Gearbox in place. It has no gearbox mount. We've mounted the whole engine and gearbox the same way it was in the ASCAR with 4 engine mounts instead, so pulling the box off is considerably easier.
    [​IMG]

TIG welding the cut panels for the gearbox tunnel. All to FD and BDC regs.
    [​IMG]

Time for some MIG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prop Tunnel. We are so lucky using the Winters Competition diff. The input is at the bottom of the pumpkin not the middle, so the propshaft doesn't have to go as high in the car.
    [​IMG]

Nearly finished with the tunnel.
    [​IMG]

The large plates you can see are directly above the suspension mounting points. These will see A LOT more force than ever intended, so are being reinforced heavily.
    [​IMG]

Our spit. Originally built by Clarkey from Doritech, we purchased it and modified it for the 86 shell. It really is invaluable when doing this type of build. Anyone who's ever had to weld upside down will back us up here :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Saturday we had a proper session on the underside stitch welding and seamwelding the floorpan. Dan (left) burns and scrapes. I (middle) flings bits of copper wire into my knuckles, neck and occasionally Dans nose, while Craig (right) blinds us all. This went on for some hours.
    [​IMG]

Days Of Thunder Face:
    [​IMG]

There is still loads to do. You can see the mostly untouched suspension mounting point is yet to be attacked.
    [​IMG]

More updates soon :)

#30 PhilMorrison, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  11. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

I forgot, we had a moment of awesomeness when we found that the Ascar prop is exactly the right length - It bolts straight up. What are the chances? :D
    [​IMG]

12. rayman-

rayman- Outtatime

Days of thunder face!!!!!??? More like a dodgy FB Profile pic man!!
    Great work tho...and in time honoured tradition...YOU CAN DO IT!

13. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

This is the possibly the best thing to ever grace this forum.

14. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

"Serious modification " that sums up this car :)

15. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

On the last pic, why are some bits stitch welded and other bit have a full weld going across it?

16. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The chassis rails had actually split away from the body in small sections in some places, so as the rear section of rail is so close to that huge stress point of the suspension arms that mount the axle, it was decided we'd make it as strong as possible by seaming it. It's not necessary in most places though. Stich welding is more than strong enough for the majority of the strengthening.

17. Karan

Karan Active Member

Very nice work so far,

Get in!!!

18. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

shell now with us at Nickson Motorsport! looking forward to being a part of the build of this monster!

19. hansen

hansen Member

fuck this makes my 86 look pitiful phil lol! good work guys, again stepping that bar a little higher! :thumbs:

20. Threadmark: Nickson Cage
    PhilMorrison

Staff Member

So here's some pictures of the magic that Nickson Motorosport have been working on the shell. He's about 75% through the work, and should have the Nascar doorbars, turret bars, and seat rails fitted in time for us to collect next week.

Obviously it goes without saying that a roll cage is for safety. But for me jumping into a small shell designed in the 80's, I really wanted to make sure I'm protected properly, particularly as it will have four times the power it's supposed to have. So we've gone for a T45 cage, and I've asked that the priority be put on my safety, not weight saving.

The main frame of the cage has been made, and Nick starts to add the extra bars, starting with sill protection:
    [​IMG]

You can also see some of extra work needed to be done to the floor to get a seat low enough for clearance from my head to the B pillar bar.
    [​IMG]

The box sections are a work of art:
    [​IMG]

Another request from me was to have the A pillar bar as close to the body as possible, so visibility through that section wasn't compromised (as we spend 90% of our time looking almost directly at it). This is extremely difficult to do on a lot of cars because the rules state you can only have two bends in the forward legs of a cage. Nickson has aced it though. You can also see the windscreen aperture has been stitch welded for strength.

[​IMG]

Infact because it's such a small car, my over all request to Nick was to keep the cage as tight as possible to the body, to give me as much clearance as possible for my fat ass!

Junction welded directly to the shell.
    [​IMG]

Roof bars made to touch the roof skin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shell is still on the Rotisserie which means Nick doesn't ever have to weld upside down (anyone who has ever done this knows how unpleasant it is)

[​IMG]

And as a result, his welding is nothing short of perfection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The extra bracing at the rear to help support the load through to the axle has been done in the form of a lower X. It looks awesome!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The work has started on the front. The turrets will be linked to the cage, but first some strengthening to the strut tops is in order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be more pictures from Nicksons soon hopefully, and once he's done it will return to Dynotorque for another week of fabrication to get wheel tubs sorted, and some of the things like radiators, batteries, fuel tanks and the like mounted. There is still SUCH a long way to go with this build in a really short amount of time, but I'm really happy with the progress so far.

Many thanks to Nick from Nickson Motorsport. I can't recommend his work highly enough. If you're interested in an awesome cage, you can find him in the traders section of this forum.

#40 PhilMorrison, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013