Driftworks E36 BMW Lock Kit

Thread in 'Driftworks Products & Enquiries' started by FAbity6032, Oct 20, 2014.

1. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Hi guys,

First off all you forgot to put this item inside the the "Car manufacturer: BMW" section which makes it a bit harder to find.

Anyway I want to know how much wheel clearance I need for this item or an estimation. I have ET20 wheels from 5 series (e60) with 205/55r16 tires and I have rack spacers installed as well. I just want to know what kind of spacers I should order with them so I can order them in 1 go.... I guess I could always still remove the rack spacers because the customs spacers are pretty expensive.

I am just wondering if these will work:
    18mm BMW Wheel Spacers 72.6mm Centre Bore - Pair of Spacers from Driftworks
    This should give me ET 2 with 7j rims so yeah....

And do you recommend purchasing these for the rear tires as well? I don't care about the looks just performance and I heard a wider front track just makes it more stable so yeah....

2. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

We don't have steering components listed by manufacturer, alignment arms only.

They'll clear no problem with 16" wheels.

Personally, I prefer wider front track, but factor in rear wheel fitment too and make a call, I'd want it to look decent too.
    Those spacers will fit E36, don't forget longer bolts.

3. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

So I do not need such massive spacers? I mean they are only 16" wheels but I wanted to keep original size so they are tall 205/55.. I already have some 5mm spacers so that should give me ET15 with 7j rims do you reckon that should be enough as well?

4. kam

You don't need any spacers.

5. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

I really ended up needing the spacers so I purchased them and put my 5mm spacers together so now I am running -5 ET wheels and still it is rubbing easily. I already removed the rack spacers it did not help much, I have been fiddling with this for weeks and it is my daily I am getting really frustrated. The tie rod ends are hitting the strut and I already put the left tie rod end on the right side and the left tie rod end on the left side and that bought me some clearance but the thing is still hitting the strut. The reduced ackermann is just to much or maybe the lock adapter needs to be thicker so it can move the tie rod end downwards (also good for roll center correction). But then again the lock adapter is already hitting my control arm. I really can't make it fit Kam I really need some help here. I also tried removing my camber shims but to no avail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kam

Is the car on the floor there?
    Is it really high?

I don't get why all your arms are at those angles.

Take a look at ours.

7. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

No it is on jack-stands I guess it clears when the wheels are sitting on the ground.

8. kam

Ah ok, good :)

9. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Did you guys leave the lock stops in? I nearly get more angle from the wheel turning on the opposite side then the side that I am turning into. I am going to have to order some new Steering Rack Stops.

I can choose between these:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-20807-32111136526-genuine-bmw-part.aspx
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-15582-steering-securing-plate-32111140464.aspx
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4226-turner-motorsport-steering-rack-stop-kit.aspx

Or maybe I can stack them together or something. Or is that doing the same thing as putting the 4mm rack spacer back in?

Because the problem is it is hitting the anti-rollbar and even if I remove the anti-rollbar it will hit the frame right there.

#9 FAbity6032, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

So I received the rackstops today and put my et -5 7j rims back on and noticed it isn't even close to clearing and I can't buy any bigger rack stops. And going for more spacers isn't going to help at all it is already rubbing the front and back fender it is so far out it will never work. Is there any way I can send them back for a refund? Because I did not know E46 arms were required and running these without them will just rub my tires on the frame till they explode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like the tie rod is not far off but trust me that is still a lot of clearance required before that tie-rod will ever reach.

Or can I exchange it for a 10% version or something?

#10 FAbity6032, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014