driveshafts AE86

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by TruenoGTV, Jan 9, 2005.

1. TruenoGTV

TruenoGTV Member

How do I remove the driveshafts on the AE86?
    I need to take out the rear diff, so far I have taken off the propshaft the main bolt on the rear axle locking the diff shaft. I have tried to lever out the diff unit but it will only come out a bit about 1cm.

Need Help thanks

2. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

Take off rear wheels,undo brake caliper, undo rear brake brackets the four bolts holding the bracket in, get slide hammer and pull the old shafts out.
    then undo prop and diff pumpkin and pull it out
    Alex

3. Mux213

Mux213 High on rubber

Hey TruenoGTV,

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get the diff housing with diff out from the axle, or have you already done that and are you trying to get the diff itself removed from the housing?

For the first you need to get the half-axles out first, so get the tires off, calipers off, brake disks off, and remove the half-axles.

For the second, I'm afraid I haven't done that yet.

4. Mux213

Mux213 High on rubber

Damn I wish I had one of those, f*cked up job trying to do this without:)

5. TruenoGTV

TruenoGTV Member

thanks alot.
    Taken out the shafts today with the lsd. found out the N/S/R wheel bearing is worn. When I took the lsd out and the shaft I broke the oil seal.

Does anyone know where I could get a bearing from and the oil seal.

Thanks for the help.

6. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

Get the seal from Toyota if you can get some numbers off the old bearing you might be able to get one from a decent bearing supplier. You will still nead a new C clip to hold the new bearing in place because you have to cut the old one to get it off. If not I think a bearing kit from memory from Toyota is about £80 each side.

Jay

7. Mux213

Mux213 High on rubber

I paid 8 euros for a complete gasket and seal set if I read what you need right. In the set there are also 2 rings that have to do with the bearing but I am not sure. Didn't take pictures sorry.

I have no idea about the bearings though, mine seemed to be fine.

*edit* part number for rear axle gasket kit: 04412-14020

#7 Mux213, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  8. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

8 euros sounds really cheap did you get the oil seals for each end of the axel in that or just the paper ones?
    I think I payed about £8uk for each oil seal when I did mine but thats probably just Toyota Uk ripping me off as usual.

Jay

9. TruenoGTV

TruenoGTV Member

I will place my order tommorow at Toyota Dealers. they have quoted me £83 for the bearing and £8 for the oil seal. Is there anything else that should be changed in the diff. What oil should I use and how many litres? It has an aftermarket LSD I think it is a TRD 2 way but not 50% sure.

10. Giveitsomebar

Giveitsomebar Active Member

make one .....

11. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Use a GL-5 SAE90 LSD-spec oil.

You can use a standard GL-5 75W90, 90 or 85W140 with LSD additive (eg Redline) if you can be bothered mixing it up.

I have some Castrol LSD oil you can have for cheap (bought it in bulk when I was changing my LSD oil every 2 weeks). I'm on a welded 3-way diff in my Corolla now so don't get through as much LSD oil these days.

PM me if you want some.