Dukes of Hafod Drifters Project Toyota AEV86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Gwionsavill, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Joe Gersh

Joe Gersh New Member

....well this is epic :eek:

2. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

The gussets arrived from Finland, so managed to get them welded in yesterday.

Engine going in today to trial fit the M3 gearbox and mount the IRP shifter in the new tunnel.
    Once this is done most of the fabrication side is done so the build should move on quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Atomic_Rolla

Atomic_Rolla New Member

I'm jelouse.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

4. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Things been a bit slow with the AEv86 lately. Waiting on final parts to finish the fabrication work and we decided we weren't happy with the position of the fuel tank and swirl pot. It was mounted in the boot but had a high centre of gravity and was a bit big for what we needed so we decided to design our own and get SM engineering to make it for us so we could mount it under the removable boot floor, this will massively help with the weight distribution . We also got him to make us a new swirl pot and foam fill the tank to stop the fuel moving around to much. To say I'm impressed with his work is an understatement and this should really help with the balance of the rear end of the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Some more updates, things been a bit slow, been far too busy at the garage to spend time on this but we have managed to get the engine and gearbox mounts made (wasn't happy with the old ones) and trail fit the engine and box. Just need to cut the hole now in the tunnel for the IRP shifter and then strip it all back down again for paint!!!

Started with this
    [​IMG]

ended up with this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the fuel system in as well

[​IMG]

Also this arrived in the post and cant wait to fit, this will certainly help with making the car road legal :nod::cool:

[​IMG]

6. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Finally happy with the position of seat, handbrake, steering wheel, switch panel and gear leaver.
    Taken a long time to get this right as I wanted to have my seat as low and far back as I could for better weight distribution. We had to extend the steering column and make all new mounts but was well worth it in the end I think.

Nearly a shame to cover up the welding for the handbrake mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love how precise the IRP shifter is, cant wait to smash it through the gears.

7. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Been a while since I posted but things have been moving forward, slower than I'd like but that's life.

Glad to say all the fabrication work is now done and the car if being prepped for paint as I type this, massive effort and man hours to get to this point but hopefully be worth it.

Spend a lot of time making sure the chassis and suspension set up is right but this stuff takes time.

We have welded all the nuts to the body for every internal part that will be bolted in to make it easy to take it apart in a hurry if we have to on drift comp days.

We have moved the strut tops up by 5mm and moved the sub frame down by 7mm to help get the suspension settings to where we wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pedal box mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brackets for the Brembo 2 pot rear callipers and 260mm disks have been CAD designed ready to be bolted to the rear axle (more on this when its finished)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some fibre glass wings and Carbon Kevlar doors made, between the 2 should save about 20KG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The adjustable bottom arms and tie rods arrived from Techno toy tuning from the USA. The amount of adjustment on these will really help to make sure we get the suspension settings exactly how we want.

[​IMG]

And finally how it looked before going to get prepped for paint.
    This is the bit I cant wait to see how it looks. Should be epic.

[​IMG]

8. haza88

haza88 Active Member

Very nice work

9. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Well after I don't know how many hours its finally painted!!!!

All the panels are done and the custom made body kit is being finished as we speak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The doors are made from carbon Kevlar and we left the inside unpainted as I liked the fact you could see the Kevlar.

The wings, bonnet, boot and bumpers are fibreglass and after weighing all the original parts we have saved close to 60KG by doing this so well worth it.

[​IMG]

The finished look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to freshen up the seats with a bit of paint as well.
    [​IMG]

Now all that's left to do is custom made wiring loom, rear axle, carbon prop shaft, mapping and I suppose put it all back together!!!!

Cant wait to drive it.

10. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Dude what are the IRP shifters like as I am looking at something like that for my 1uz r32? How does the reverse work with them as I've seen some with cables/lever, and yours doesn't have that (which I like, looks clean). Thanks

11. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

I haven't actually driven with the shifter yet just trail fitted it and it felt great but the proper test will be when it's used in anger.

12. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Sorry for lack of updates, boring stuff like work and life been getting in the way of the build a bit at the moment!!!

Loads of jobs done and some serious amount of time spent on getting the front suspension geometry right and of course trying to get as much lock as we can.

We have managed to get around 65deg of lock now which i'm super happy with considering the car is 30 years old and originally came from the factory on 13" wheels and we are now running 17 x 9.75" and 235/40/17 tyres.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom made rear axle finally finished as well, running a 2 way locking diff with 4.22 ratio, got Avo coilovers and brembo 2 pot callipers with 280MM discs

[​IMG]

Twin plate clutch and flywheel fitted as well.

[​IMG]

The pedal box is in place and hoses done, these will be covered by a fake floor to keep it tidy.

[​IMG]

13. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Well its finally running and made its first outing at Drift Matsuri in Rockingham, we didn't finish the car until 10.30pm on the Friday night and we were setting off at 4am so not ideal, no testing was done apart from rolling road session with Greg at pro tuner and a cheeky donut in a car park, not ideal but never mind.

Car made good power with Greg and a very nice torque curve. 350ftlbs at 2.8K RPM

camper 243.JPG

The interior is something we took a lot of time to get right but very happy with the way it turned out.

camper 267.JPG

The engine bay looks nice and tidy and in the end we wend for a custom made rad to maximise cooling, we made a completely new wiring loom for the car with all new connectors for the engine, pain in the arse to do but well worth it. We used a oil relocation kit to make some more space and also plumbed in a oil cooler for safety. Screamer pipe out of the bonnet is massively unneeded but I like seeing the flames.
    camper 281.JPG

These are some pics of the car that photographers got from the weekend.

camper 264.PNG camper 273.JPG

camper 283.PNG
    Next outing is at Teesside on the 16th of April and we have a few issues to iron out but all in all im a happy boy.

camper 070.JPG

camper 284.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  14. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Was it a Modception axle by any chance?

15. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

It was indeed. You have any experience with them?

16. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

The "Finally Finished" gave it away! :no:
    The lead times are utterly mental at the moment :( I'm still waiting on mine from October.

4.22 like yours, but narrow body and OEM brakes.

17. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Good read that alots gone into it too loved it when dang owned it love it more now.... apart from that front grill thingy lol

18. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Thanks, and your right far to much time and money to be honest!!!
    The front grill is work in progress, I'm going to incorporate the front lights into it but just trying to work out how as its a bit tight for space in there, probably going to use the glass from the headlights and tint them.

19. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Wow, this thing is incredible

20. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

v86 081.JPG v86 082.JPG
    Well its been a busy few weeks with testing at Three sisters, Rockingham and Teesside.
    The car had been to Akron Sport and they spent a 2 days working on chassis and suspension set up as I wasn't happy with how the car was transitioning and it felt very snappy, I cant recommend these guys enough as the car is now transformed and is so much easier o drive and the grip is unreal. They didn't make any big changes just lots of small ones and made sure the rear axle was et up right for getting the power down.
    We spent a lot of time making sure we tried to get the weight balance right in the car and from the figures we have got back from Akron we did a pretty good job.
    We have a had a few small issues that we've had to work around but every time I go out in the car i'm feeling more and more confident.

v86 038.PNG