e30 question...

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by jamesg6r, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Does anyone know what ratio an e30 318is came with standard from factory?

I have bought a 3.9 LSD to replace my welded diff for road use (and use the welder for the track). So if any e30 experts out there could tell me what the ratio should be for my diff?

Thanks

2. be11

be11 camber king

as standard a small case 4.10 open diff

3. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

oh ok thanks mate.

4. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Came with Either a 4.10:1 LSD (Rare as hell and prone to having the bearings going_ Or the Open 4:10:1 diff

3.91:1 LSD is bit of a compromise with the acceleration but tends to be much more robust.

5. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

thanks for the input, yea i heard that its a larger casing the 3.9 LSD.
    It should be more economical i guess, as a positive. Its for road use only, the welder is brutal so can be used on track. You see to know a thing or two mate about e30, i only bought the car a few months ago and am looking for some coilovers. I have found a set of coilovers from RACELAND in Belgium, who seem to have a good storefront on ebay...but you never know what your buying i guess..only £230 for from fully adjustable height and damping on front and shock and springs rear. 30% uprated.

Worth buying?hmmmmm

6. be11

be11 camber king

if they are the larger width shocks on your car then you wont have a problem finding good coilovers. my 318 had the smaller diameter front struts so had to find some 325 hubs to be in with any chance of finding a good set of suspention.

51mm being the larger size found on all models bar the 316 and 318? (not sure about the IS model)

7. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Yea I noticed that e30 struts came with two diffeent size struts. Researching i found that early models such as the 318 had 45mm struts, but the 318is being one of the last e30 models it came with 51mm struts. Cheers buddy Im probably going to buy them as they are so cheap and look pretty decent.