E36 328 sport

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Ben001, Feb 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ben001

Ben001 New Member

Hi!

Been a lurker on here for a while looking shit loads of drift builds!

Previously a mechanic for 5 years I got fed up of it and got a visa for NZ, having been here for nearly 8 months I have the itch to start working on cars again on my return in May/June.

an old car of mine that was bought off me by a friend came back up for sale for the right price so I bite his hand off! It's a bmw e36 328 sport.
    The car overheated slightly when he was driving home from work, but he's had it running since and staying at temp and no excess pressure in the system so hoping no damage was done and it's a thermostat/ water pump problem.

im in two minds weather to do an engine conversion along the lines of V8/sr20DET/M50 turbo and go full out track/drift or keep the current 2.8 engine overhaul it and keep it OEM which I think will be better in the long run seeing the ridiculous prices people are asking for these ATM.

I've started making a list of things to buy whilst away and things to crack on with as soon as I'm home:

first of all compression test/block test to see if there is any signs of H/G failure.
    Assuming all is well, new stat, water pump, uprated rad possibly the driftworks supercool rad and silicone hose kit
    replace all engine breathers, belts and check the condition of the vacuum lines
    sort the rear arches, rust in the usual place
    braided brake lines
    solid engine mounts
    polybushes
    330 front brake conversion
    gearbox rebuild as there is a bearing noise around there somewhere from memory
    z3 short shift
    m50 manifolds
    new clutch and possibly flywheel depending on condition!

im sure once I start there will be more but ATM that's it, interior is in mint condition. Black leather, black headlining etc.

but yeah, comments welcome with anything else recommended on these, but I think that's most of it covered!

Onto to the car, only have one pic on my phone. Car is now on the original BBS allow as well!

[​IMG]

2. bluesbreaker

bluesbreaker New Member

Four mods that I found most useful on my E36:
    1. Shortened hubs
    2. Changed out LSD for a welder
    3. Fitted hydro
    4. Removed carpet

Btw, your's looks a little too nice to start skidding...