e36 329i ;)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by steve320, Apr 9, 2015.

1. steve320

steve320 New Member

hello everyone, my names steve and this is my e36 320i that i purchased in january this year in wexford , its a slow project but should be interesting provided everything goes near enough to plan,
    here are a few pics the day i got it , it has a few little problems but it was cheap ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then decided to paint the alloys and do the headliner black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while i had the car i felt the suspension was a little loose and lacked feel (its a 20 year old car i had to expect it i suppose) so a after a little bit of research i decided to do it right and completely get the suspension completely rebuilt
    2x Front wishbones - Meyle HD
    2x Front drop links - Meyle HD
    2x Rear drop links - Ordinary
    1x Full Powerflex poly bush kit
    3x Powerflex diff bushes
    1x Set Black Diamond braided brake lines
    1x Z3M short shifter - OEM BMW
    1x Short shifter refresh kit - OEM BMW
    1x Front left inner & outer tie rod set - Meyle HD
    1x Front right " " "
    bc coilovers
    z3 rear reinforcement plate
    scorpion exhaust
    and also the state of the old coil overs really show you get what you pay for
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    also decided to get a nice set of alloys as i felt the car needed a treat so as i got a set of rerufbished genuine ac schnitzer type 1 8j all round
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

now for the interesting bit , i purchased an m50 engine that had been rebuilt with forged pistons and a 2.8l (m52) crank so displacement is not 2860cc so i might swell call it a 2.9l i also got a 6 speed gearbox and stainless steel exhaust manifold (but chances are ill be removing them but more about that later ;)) originally there was high lift cams but they were not included in sale and tbh wouldn't suit my needs later on for the car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. steve320

steve320 New Member

Its been a while since I've updated this, but recently bought a fibre glass gt2 wing (replica with lifters) off absmotorsport.co.uk . the car will be going to get a full respray in december /january provided all goes to plan etc etc ( stole the photo off absmotorsport but should give you an idea)
    [​IMG]

ime for a few updates a lot of the suspension is being rebuilt so heres a few photos of the work and the angle grinding disks burnt through
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    car needs some work :) but at least getting it done now :D

- - - Updated - - -

with a few rust issues the red e36 has been put on hold and will be back even better than originally planned (will be a long term project designed to destroy tyres and sound great)
    this is the replacement , 323i with 102thousand miles, 325i manifold, 328i exhaust full leather service history polybush etc etc, but most importantly no rust
    [​IMG]

3. steve320

steve320 New Member

said i will throw up a few updates, before i went back to Hungary i sent my car back to cab for a few small upgrades,
    firstly is a large case E36 m3 evo lsd (3.23 ratio) including rear subframe,
    6 speed box (which i got off a sezam with the engine deal)
    unfortunalty have no photos of the work yet and it won't be ready for the lakes but will be ready for summer so i can begin throwing in my built engine and get that ready for boost (if money holds up)
    its also been the first time my two e36's have been together , as for the red bitch she will be taken off the road for a few years and is being build to the craziest car i can come up with (no mortgage yet might swell get it out of my system )
    [​IMG]

4. alaklobi280

alaklobi280 New Member

Really rad project & great work you did .. keep up the good work Steve .. hope to see it soon

5. steve320

steve320 New Member

thanks man , can't wait to have it finished myself :)

6. steve320

steve320 New Member

said i would treat myself and bought new wheel stud and nut quitter the e36 so i can change alloys with more ease and also they are 100% stronger than the oem bolts
    [​IMG]

7. zornyan

zornyan Member

Been tempted to buy a stud conversion myself, but wasn't sure it their any stronger as I've seen plenty of damaged ones as well as oem bolts.

Loving the red car, literially neigh on identical spec to mine, same suspension, same coilovers (bar mine using caster offset top mounts and wishbone bushes) and I've just used meyle HD uprated rubber bushes all round.

8. steve320

steve320 New Member

Yeah man buy quality studs (not much more expensive think about £20 more ) and you will be fine , I bought for the pure simplicity of being able to add spacers easily if I change alloys for skids
    Yeah the red car is nice spec just must fix the rust and I can enjoy it :)
    Meyle products are top notch

9. steve320

steve320 New Member

Well I haven't updated this in a while as my life has been busy with uni and what not , but my plans are finally coming together, I dropped my car to cab in super4 a little while back to put in Bc Coilovers , m3 Evo back end 6 speed box etc etc, but now my turbo build will be starting after after a few months of research,

I bought a 85mm .140 cometic head gasket and arp head studs from vacmotorsports great service as always

[​IMG]

Got caught for €150 tax from the customs so not a happy camper. Next purchase will be a nice clutch disk and Miller war chip

10. steve320

steve320 New Member

finally a bit of news, my turbo kit pieces are finally coming together,,
    just need some oil lines (with the resistor ) and to find the best place to put the water feed and how to make them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cxracing front mount intercooler (will have custom piping as I'm not happy with the welding on the pipes included in the kit)
    garrett gt35r (1.06) non wastegated turbo with v-band down pipe
    tial 38mm wastage with 1.0bar spring and screamer pipe(not the pink eBay in the photo)
    walbro 255 fuel pump (have been told it will be a pain to fit so looking forward to it)
    elite-devolpments cast manifold for rhd m5x engines
    miller war chip on way with siemens 60lb injectors

also heres a quick photo of my large case rear end before it was disassembled and cleaned up
    [​IMG]

#10 steve320, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. steve320

steve320 New Member

got this little beauty in the post today , a miller war chip for an obd1 vanos engine with 60lb injectors a blow through map with grommet and cable for mapping , the final few peaces coming together nicely for this build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Looks promising, What king of numbers are you hoping for?

13. steve320

steve320 New Member

Around 500ish at 14 psi and in a few years time I'll be pushing more once I've a bit more work done

14. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Sounds good, deffinitly following this :)

15. steve320

steve320 New Member

another little update today, i had purchased a Stewart high performance water pump, Fluidyne race aluminum radiator ,expansion tank, Samco black silicone hoses, Radiator Cap, Aluminum Thermostat Housing & Gaskets, 88c Thermostat , just need to get some quality coolant and it will be a full coolant refresh . project should be finishing up very soon , just oil/ water lines , clutch disk and mapping then i can finally finish this project ...for now

[​IMG]

16. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Sweet dude, I bet it'll feel as close to a new car as an E36 can with all those new bushes. Keep it up man :)

17. steve320

steve320 New Member

thanks man, yeah it drives amazing like a new car :)

18. steve320

steve320 New Member

The final pieces of the turbo build have arrived , rally road.net turbo oil and water lines aswell as the final few nuts and bolts needed for the engine swap
    Just get the car back and the engine can go in
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. steve320

steve320 New Member

Clutch disk has arrived now just to be assembled clutchnet stage4 disk 240mm
    [​IMG]

20. P-K

P-K New Member

following! keep up the good work!