E36 coilovers.. What's good?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by silvertop, Jul 17, 2014.

1. silvertop

silvertop der drifte schlag

Hey guys I'm movin on to bmws for a little bit after selling my R32, I've owned e36's before but never had to buy coilovers..

Just wondering what people have got and what you recommend or say steer clear of!

I'm only after cheapy eBay ones but there's so many brands and they all look pretty pony!

2. Jites

Jites Active Member

cheap ebay crap? imo try and find a decent set of used coilovers over brand new shite ones?

ones to avoid are D2 and K sport from the reviews ive read.

3. simonlpearce

simonlpearce Member

Whats wrong with D2's? Thought they were of a similar standard to the HSD Dual Techs?

I have the HSD mono's on one of my E36 and BC Racing on the other, which are both of a similar standard. Though the BC's have better bushes in the rear dampers! I tore the HSD bushes out and wasn't even drifting at the time.

IIRC you can get HSD's on 0% finance which is probably £50 a month or something daft!

4. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

If your intent is to drift anything other than santa pod, don't buy ebay coilovers. Buy something decent or stiff, you'll only end up changing them for something that's not shit.

I'd totally run D2 or k-sport over ebay coils, even if the reviews aren't great

5. Jites

Jites Active Member

was looking into these a few years back when I was buying coils, when people say that they are leaking before fitted, leak after 100 miles or are just really shit for the money and have piss poof build quality id go else where. There was more bad than good reports so I avoided. Things may have changed but was enough to put me off buying them when you can get better else where.

I think pete had some K sports and said they were like driving on AIDS

6. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Not doubting you man. But they're still less aid-y than eBay coils!

7. Shuttersound

Shuttersound Member

My bro fitted HSD Monopros to his and they seem pretty ace. Although, the rear setup on E36s seems really nasty compared to S / R-bodies, and doesn't really allow for much in the way of preload or damping adjustment, which is shit when you're running low and have wheels and tyres in the back. :p

8. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

You can adjust preload and damping on them like anything else, it's just different.

FK seem to be the better of the cheaper brands, but like mentioned. They're all pretty crappy and hit/miss.

9. Rick_GEEEE

Rick_GEEEE Member

Ive got a set of JOM coilovers on my daily (not drifted yet) but i have to say, impressed! for the money, very good! my 10p...

10. Anthony@LM

Anthony@LM Member

I've owned D2's on two cars.. Loved them both go's! Highly recommend those. I want to try a set of HSD monopro's on my current 36.
    Anybody else have feedback on the HSD's for E36's?

#10 Anthony@LM, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  11. tathan

tathan Member

I've got HSD Monos with track springs, highly recommended, they're not even that bad on shitty roads with the damping down. Control things pretty well and soak up the fast bumps well.

12. BreadBin

BreadBin Rough Tonguer

I had the blue ebay ones - JOM I think, got them from these guys as a quick fix on a 328i sport.
    Absolute shite.
    Spring rates are far too soft, dampers too hard so they ride like crap going slowly and bounce like a motherfucker when you start trying hard.
    Don't bother imo.
    edit - and I wish I had left the pointless 'helper' springs in the box as all they did was clunk when turning.

13. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Buy bc's you won't regret it.

14. silvertop

silvertop der drifte schlag

FK's it is then [emoji106]

Thanks for the comments guys, even though most of them are about top brand coilovers when I said I was after cheapy ones! Never mind :)

15. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

I've had these on mine for over a year now and there fantastic. Every time the car goes to an event people ask what suspension I've got as it sits flat when sliding and isn't to harsh to drive.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141244670037