E36 compact geo / Handling characteristics

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by driftdog, Sep 13, 2016.

1. driftdog

driftdog Member

Long read below:
    I have had front end issues all year and finally crashed.

Up front I run 2.5deg camber, 0.5 /1 tow out ‘depending on the track’ up front. (Can’t remember caster)

I have ran this on all my skid cars, might not be a good set up but has always done me fine and never felt like the front was doing things I didn’t input through the steering.
    MX5, multiple 36 coupes, ls400 manual build and now my compact. Iv let many people drive my cars and have always had good comments regarding their set up.

The compact (previously built and road rag’d by a chav) gave me issues all year and until yesterday iv always managed to predict it and correct it on track, had several people drive it and feel the same understeer washy thing yet on a geo machine the figures are spot on to what I choose.

I’ve tried several tyres, from proxy’s, to some conti sports, budgets, yoko’s and evergreens all with varying pressures.
    Nothing really made a difference and to spit in my eyelids I lent my scrubbed and worn proxy’s on 34 bbs rims to a mate this weekend with a 36 coupe, I also drove it, and it was mint with great positive grip feel and feedback. Annoying much.

So I am calling all compact dudes, I am re shelling with a spare I have but a bit put off in case this characteristic is a common compact thing.

What set ups do you lot have geo wise on your compacts?

Have any of you had similar feel / feedback up front when mid skid?

Tracks:

• At three sisters track I never have an issue – have been doing the demo’s on track attack days all year, big flicky entries, big speed etc and great feel round the track bar a little push on when honing in a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear opposite kick n flick down pit straight. ‘Quite a level flat track.’
    • At buxton is where its most noticeable. ‘ track is off camber slightly on the top and bottom bends’

Could my set up and geo not be suited to a track with changing ground camber levels?

For reference my shortened car set up is as follows:

• 2.8 motor ( could it be to heavy for intended vehicle design?)
    • Stock 36 lower arms,
    • Modded hubs (alan from wizard of lock hubs)
    • Adjustable top mounts
    • Rack spacers
    • 20mm spacers up front
    • Budget coil overs that came on the car (where going to be renewed end of the month to hsd or something else reputable but wooo not now)
    • Ride height – est 60mm drop up front and 50 back. Sill sits level with arched just hugging over the tyres.
    • E34 bbs wheels with 195/50/15 tyres

Any guidance on good positive feel set ups for a 6pot compact would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long one its just my first compact and don’t want it to be my last as I have really taken to it.

If you got this far listening to my rambling, I ow you a pint, lol , thanks for hanging in there.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Scrub radius makes mine a cunt to turn at the end of the steering travel, could just be that the rack is fucked though.
    Check the uj's in the steering column heat causes them to fail sometimes too.