E36 HSD rear fitment... Confused

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Revolvo, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Revolvo

Revolvo Member

I just got a new set of Monopros for my coupe, fitted them last night... Fronts were super straightforward but rears are confusing me. The included literature says to fully wind in (shorten) the rear shock before fitting but even with the rear spring adjuster fully shortened as well there is a lot of preload on the spring when the hub is jacked up to fit the lower bolt. The spring is compressing waaaaay before the shock is even close to the mounting point on the hub.

I want to run the suspension at near standard height, maybe with a slight drop so the adjusters are staying in. Is it a case of fitting the springs and then just extending the shock with the threads until the spring is held in tight but with no preload like the fronts? This goes against what the instructions say but it's the only way I can see it working, just wanted to clarify! Any advice much appreciated. Cheers

2. suj

suj Member

You set your ride height from the spring perch, so get it to whatever height you want it to sit static.

Then with the car on the ground, you measure from the centre of the wheel to the arch, then jack up the car (off the diff if you can, so you ain't fighting ARB's) and then measure from the centre of the wheel to the arch again, it should be 70-80mm longer (I think this was what HSD suggested).

If the difference isn't 70-80mm, then adjust the damper until the delta between the static and jacked up is this length.
    You are setting the "droop"

3. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

They must have changed the setting. Mine were set to the recommended 80mm droop and it kept eating the bump stops and after 15 months or so it blew one of the shocks. It also ripped the sheet metal on the turret top on that side. I got a replacement and DW said to set them fully short so I did this and never had any further problems, it would ride nasty bumps better too.

4. Revolvo

Revolvo Member

Cheers for the replies, I later found the "80mm droop" setup on another forum but if it's going to wreck my shocks and turrets I won't be using that! The paperwork I got in the box says to run the rear shocks fully shortened, it just seems weird because at the height I want the spring will be under a fair bit of tension even when the shock is fully extended. I'll give that a go first though! Thanks

5. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Set the ride height on the spring, then wind the damper in so the spring is held captive (won't fall out at full droop).
    Make sure the damper doesn't top out/bottom out once they're fitted.