E36 M3 lightweight flywheel fit the E36 325??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by captain_chaos, Dec 13, 2009.

1. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong category.
    I seen the E36 BMW lightweight flyweel in the :dw: shop and the price seems reaaaaaly cheap! Just wanted to know what company actually makes them? Becuase I am weary of cheaply priced parts (sorry to all the guys at driftworks) just know that normally you get for what you pay. And what sort of power output those flywheels are rated to?
    Also wanted to know if that flywheel would fit my e36 325 (cast iron block M50B25). As far as I know, the 3ltr M3 lump is just my engine but on steroids :)
    If no then, anyone know of any other places that would sell a lightweight flywheel that would fit my engine at a good price?

Cheers :thumbs:

2. SkidNZ

SkidNZ New Member

you can just get ur orignal flywheel lightend, any machinist should be able to lighten it and re-balance it for you

3. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

There a dual mass fly as standard, driftworks do a lightweight one that i'm about to buy for my 328, it's the cheapest you'll find in the uk, I only found this thread because I was searching to see if anyone was selling one used before I buy a new one. you need to use a m3 or e34 m5 clutch, I'm using an m5 paddle clutch and m3 pressure plate.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You dont though, thats the thing.
    Just most companies know thats what people are daft enough to believe so put huge markups on their stuff, selling it for crazy money, and that actually HELPS sales as people in the UK just assume somethings good because its fucking mad money, lol.

5. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

theres a popular mod using oem parts from an e30s m20 engine for a lighter flywheel.
    Taken from a site of some bloke thats done it

#5 Mike@TDSW, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

i did look into that mike but the M3 set up has bigger diamiter contant area which i thought would be a lot more benifitial for drifting.

7. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

I believe from previous reading the people who did the M20 flywheel is not a saving money mod. In fact with the work of skimming further and making it fit by buying the proper bolts and motors and .....blabla you can get the Fidanza flywheel + clutch that bolts on straight on for around 300gbp. The overall cost of the M20 mod.

Link added: http://tinyurl.com/yhuzwg4

#7 Daddy_D, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

I been looking about and after recently getting a 323 coupe which will provide a nice, undamaged and rust free home for my M50 lump. The 323 seems to use the same box that my 325 comes with but according to realoem.com before a certain year if i remeber right, the 323's came with a larger diametre flywheel like the 328s and M3's and then they had the smaller ones bolted to them like the 325. Anyone has any ideas? Because its the box that actually causes the bother with the M3 flywheel being bolted to my 2.5. When I get time, I will take the box off the 323 and see what the craic is and if I cud fit a bigger lightweight flywheel on.