E36 Pinout help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by TYSON, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TYSON

TYSON Member

I am trying to find a pinout guide for a 1992 bmw e36 318. I am tackling the wiring today on my rb25det transplant. I managed to find loads of useful info on the rb side but I couldnt find anything that covers the e36. I searched through the bentley gude etc but none seem to cover the round connector that the engine looms joins.

I need the following:
    Tacho
    start
    ignition signal
    fuel pump relay
    speed sensor
    reverse
    water temp

wanted to try and use the original connector from the bmw to keep things as neet as poss

any links would be amazing :thumbs:

2. MSC

MSC Active Member

3. MSC

MSC Active Member

also this covers the round connector part way down

4. TYSON

TYSON Member

bbeee ayyy utiful cheers :)

5. MSC

MSC Active Member

no probs any e36 beemer issues im your man lol if you struggle with anything just drop me a pm

6. blazingburger

blazingburger Member

mate i want to do the same, rb25 into a 318, you gangster!! Keep us posted!

7. TYSON

TYSON Member

mechanical stuff is ok just a knock on effect as everything else is effected.

anyone help point me in the direction of the 25pin connector diagram for the m42 engine. Believe its called x20 connector as I have been through the above manual several times but cant see it (now going cross eyed). 4 cylinder stuff is on page 104 but cant see the round connector

cheers :)

8. TYSON

TYSON Member

[​IMG]

right after much searching it appears bmw dont do a pinout guid for the x20 connector. looked through all of the wiring diagrams and made the above list.

I am not sure about:

- start signal, any ideas where I can take this from (pin 43 on spec 1 skyline ecu) but what pin on bmw
    - ignition signal - page 31 and 94 show bmw pin 21 (green wire) but i am not convinced I am reading it correctly ie how does the ecu know if its just in accessory mode or if ignition is on.

The green wire is heavy duty so didnt know if this should be my perm live then have a signal for the ignition via another pin. I have spent all morning pouring over websites and manuals. Im getting there but help would be great as id rather not cook my ecu

oh and these may seem like very stupid questions but thats the entire reason I am doing this as my confidence/understanding is increasing by the day:smash:

cheers :)

9. TrAV

TrAV Member

This wiring finally got done!

6A74CB8C-9637-43A9-B010-571CB46B4C51.