e36 rear subframe clunking sound.

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by FAbity6032, Jan 31, 2014.

1. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

I have a weird problem. I did not have this the first couple of drives after my differential was welded. But whenever I take a tight turn I feel my rear sub-frame clunking and making metal to metal noises. I already changed the front differential bolt and now I replaced all 4 sub-frame mounting bushes but the sound is still there.... I videotaped the sound and you can hear it when I am clutch kicking (
    ).

Ofcourse the car was on jack stands while recording this so normally it is much worse! And it also developed some kind of grinding noise which is related to the rear handbrake which I have not figured out yet (sometimes it also sound like metal smashing into something).....

2. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Check where the subframe/diff mounts mount to the car. They have a habit of ripping the floor out

3. Turbo ted

Turbo ted Member

Also check the trailing arm bushes and possibly the disk brake covers for contact on the disks for the scraping noises.

4. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Also, check where you're posting stuff before you post it.

5. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

I recently had the subframe out to replace the bushes and I did not find any cracks...

Yeah I already replaced those but they did not make any sound when they were worn out tough... i'll check the disk brake covers for the grinding noise thanks for the tip!

Yeah sorry about that if a mod sees this please move the topic to the technical section!

6. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Shock absorber top mounts? Ball joints?

Have a quick look in the boot too

7. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Just watched the video. I'd check the brake drum retaining screws and heat/dust shields.

I had one of those screws jam up the whole assembly and destroy a disc. Also you exhaust moves a bit, that could be clunking also, mine used to

8. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Thanks, hopefully I will have more answers tomorrow!

9. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

So this is pretty much problem solved altough I have not replaced anything yet. The clunking sound is due to the transmission mounts beeing worn out completely. I do not know if you can tell from the video I have made but it did Isolate the sound to that position. Also they appear collapsed and they have loads of dry rot on them when I replaced them I will take some pictures if it helps somebody...

Also the weird handbrake noise is probably really from the hockey puck engine mounts I installed which really suck ass, I will just be replacing them with M3 engine mounts which are a bit stiffer but I am sick of messing around with engine mounts to much hassle. The hockey pucks just don't work at all!!