E36 with welded diff and coilovers won't drift

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by supasidewayz, Feb 11, 2017.

1. supasidewayz

supasidewayz New Member

I have a 96 328is with 213k miles, welded diff, and ebay coilovers that do have adjustable camber up front. The car handles more like a racecar than a drift car, wayyy too much grip in the rear. I don't like the look of drift wheels in the back, so I have the BBS spoked wheels BMW uses, I think they are 16x7's, with 215's all around. When I try to drift, I get alot of understeer that I have to shoo away with a load of power, but then when it finally starts coming around it's hard to catch and unpredictable. I shouldn't have to work so hard to get the car sideways with a welded diff and coilovers should I? Also I adjusted my tire pressures to 35psi front and 50psi rear which helped but still not enough. I thought you could take basically any rwd car and weld the diff and drift? Whats the deal?

2. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

Check if you car has it rear sway bar. Also are you using an auto diff that has been welded. Auto Diff's have lower ratios which will make it rev quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. supasidewayz

supasidewayz New Member

Yes I do have a rear sway bar. I pulled the stock(?) diff out and welded it, it does have pretty long gears. But still. Also my rear ride height is set about 2 inches higher than the front, maybe the rear being higher is pushing the tires into the road more causing more grip? I'm going to lower it and see how it does. I expect it to be a little better, but I don't think it will be enough. Also, negative camber on the front=good?

4. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

I say try changing your diff. Your current diff could be a 2.93 ratio. Try find a 3.64 or 3.91 from an auto 325 or 328

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

No need to change diff at all.
    Lower the car so it's level, soften the fronts to 28 put 55 in the rear and go to a track and learn the car.
    It's not as easy as the playstation.

6. BreadBin

BreadBin Rough Tonguer

Go faster and steer less

7. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

have you got shite tyres on the front?

8. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

how are you breaking traction? clutch kick? flick? hydro?

if your just going faster and faster round in circles waiting for the back end to come out you are going to loose it...

9. MarcoB

MarcoB New Member

Also you can try to disconnect the front sway bar, or to change it for a more softer one from a 318/320

10. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

I'm pretty sure using the right technique pretty much anything rwd can be drifted to a certain extent. An e36 with a welder should be an absolute piece of cake.

11. Jites

Jites Active Member

more pressure in the rears. kick the clutch more

12. anthony_r3

anthony_r3 New Member

What are your alignment numbers?
    If your coilivers are adjustable (dampening) make it stiffer in the front than the rear (not too stiff in any particular place, stiffer isn't always better)

13. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

I'm going to be brutally honest here.

There is nothing at all wrong with the car.

You aren't driving it properly.

Meet up with people who can drift or attend a flat out factory (or similar) day.

Somone will teach you the basics and go from there.

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

Youve checked the alignment personally?

My old 328 was a nightmare to hold sideways, turned out one of the rear arms was proper bent and it was running 7 degrees of toe in. Worth a quick check anyway.

15. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

i agree with Adam everyone starts somewhere it would certainly help if you got someone who drifts regularly to have a go in the car and if anything is severely bent or misaligned you should be able to tell by eye or basic measuring tape job

16. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

"The car handles more like a racecar than a drift car, wayyy too much grip in the rear"

If it had alignment that was all over the shop it wouldn't grip like a racecar dude

Everything he's saying is basically everything I experienced when I learnt to skid and it was all down to no knowing what to do. Same with all my mates.

I admit that reading my post back I sound a total twat... but sometimes tough love works. This poor chap could spend every spare weekend he has for the next 2 months fucking about with all the stuff on the car people have said here and get totally nowhere.

Or he could actually learn how to drift and then at least if the car DOES have issues he will at least be able to tell.

• Like Like x 1