E46 318i se round the Nurburgring

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by KAS627, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KAS627

KAS627 Member

Found a cheap 318i se and me and a mate are planning on taking it to the nurburgring.
    Fuel wise this will be decent for the trip I think, power wise I think it may be a bit lacking for the ring?
    I was thinking of dumping a bigger engine in it, like a 2.5 or 2.8, probably have just as much fun with the 1.9 though?
    If the car makes it back I plan to make a long term project out of it.
    Also any recomendations of routes, places to visit, things to do etc.
    Current plan drive from glasgow to dover, ferry to dunkirk, then drive through france and belgium, pretty much the standard route?

2. 00smartt

00smartt New Member

Im sure it will be said............... do a search.

I looked into it and my advice would be dont bother. If you stack it people have experience costs that run into millions. Or hire a car there..........."fastest car in the world" Mr Clarkson

again just google it

3. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

we did a chizfab trip there in 2010. we drove to newcastle. ferry to amsterdam. drove to ring. stayed in a hotel beside the ring, trying to remember the name. was a great place to stay - the owner super helpful. has garage space for you and connections in the local vicinity to help you with anything.

also don't crash. i did. got away without any fines. but had to patch the car back together and spend 2 days searching scrapyards for a touring bootlid and rear light. all bad.

4. StanceChild7

StanceChild7 Member

Why not just buy a 325/8 in the first place? saves a lot of time.

5. KAS627

KAS627 Member

Mainly how cheap I am getting the 318 for

- - - Updated - - -

Ringhaus hotel?

6. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

7. pharmed

pharmed Member

What about ring insurance? I have been planning a trip and wouldnt go without insurance

8. 93s13nick

93s13nick Member

Iv been a few times, Stayed at either the big campsite or Hotel an der Nordschleife, take any car you want, its a one way toll road not a race track ;), I'v taken estate cars, 8v golf mk2s, a van and even hired a Swift which was epic fun. The whole trip is stupidly expensive for what it is but still worth it. Just keep off the grass and drive well within your capabilities and you'll be fine, if you do crash prob be better off faking your own death and fleeing to some 3rd world country as they will totally butt rape you for money.

9. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

On the ring it's not about power. Care about your suspension and brakes in first line. You even won't have a straight line dragster with a 2.5l. Most people will be even more powerful than that anyway.
    It's about maxing the car on a tricky road. You don't need much Power for that. It's a track where skills are way more worth than power.

If you want to drift the hole Ring Lap than you may have the wrong engine unless it rains.

10. KAS627

KAS627 Member

As far as I can see you cant really get insurance for the ring on TF days, because technically it isnt a track day, and next to no insurers cover the ring?

11. KAS627

KAS627 Member

Nah just for the road trip and the experience really.