E46 Smokin' Skid Build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Verizino, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Verizino

Verizino New Member

So here's the plan that I've been coming up with since I bought the car last year. This is pretty vague because I know for sure that things will change as it progresses but as it does I'll give more details when I can. My aim is to build up this E46 318ci into a capable(ish) drift car. I'm by no means an expert at this but I want to see just how far I can get before I lose my head.
    I want to keep it streetable which I'm sure will cause some issues down the line but heck let's see how far I can get.
    To be blunt and summarise what I've found so far, I'm looking to begin by stripping down the interior but not a full gut, replace things like door cards and rear seats with alternatively to keep the wiring away. Not sure about cage or just a harness bar just yet. Obviously bucket seats and harness are on the list.
    Exterior wise I love the looks of a wide body kit so will definitely look into that once I get the interior sorted. The cars got a pretty naff set of bumpers and skirts so I'm stuck between the M3 style or M sport stuff for those. In my opinion the rear of these cars stock is pretty dull so no doubt there'll be a wing/spoiler of some sorts.
    In terms of the rear subframe and such, my plan is to go with mostly 330ci parts but I'll look further into this later. The rear subframe weld in kit will also be done when I get to this stage. I'm also hoping to run true coilovers in the rear just to keep the rear wheel well more open for wider wheels and the second brake line for the hydro. In the front I'm hoping for an angle kit though nothing quite as crazy as the SLR or Wisefab packages but who knows.
    Now for the controversial bit, and the bit where I reckon I'll start questioning why I'm doing this. Engine and gearbox wise I'm hoping to do a m50b30 stroker, stay with me, which will be turbo'ed, paired with the ZF 5 speed which seems to be the go to transmission for these builds.
    I'll hopefully keep updates posted on here as things progress along with pictures. So let's see where this gets to.

2. Verizino

Verizino New Member

To get this up to date, since I bought the car I've not done anything that I'd say is exactly worthwhile with it moreso just to keep me interested whilst I was planning it out. So far the cars got a OMP deep dish wheel, a short shifter and a bunch of crap removed from the boot. Also removed the horrible armrest and filled in the gap for comfort. Plus a very tasteful and well applied Driftworks sticker on the dash :D.
    I've also started collecting parts to do the interior including harnesses, bucket seats from an old Lotus (as far as I know) and I've bought the steel to make the subframes as they're bottom mount seats and it should be significantly cheaper and just as secure to just make them myself. As I said before I haven't chosen if it's going to be just a harness bar or a cage. Also planning on removing the sound system because I pretty much never listen to music when driving and it's pretty much the most basic setup you can get in an E46. Adiós excess weight.