Engine Swap

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by sunnyzx, Jan 16, 2005.

1. sunnyzx

sunnyzx Member

Does anybody know if an engine from a 1992 (K Reg) Toyota Corolla GTi-16 (AE92 FWD) UK car fit straight into a AE86 RWD JDM car ?

Will it fire straight up or do alot of things need changing ? Just worried about the differences on a JDM 4AGE and UK 4AGE.

Also Ive heard the 4AGE from later cars is faster and better than early 4AGE's, is this true ?

2. Mux213

Mux213 High on rubber

Hey Sunny,

Not sure about that one, just looked at club4ag and they had some info about the AE92 engine but no info whether it is a direct swap.

As for power, hmmm, I'd say you dont gain to much, its not until the 20v came along that it got noticable more power. I do think the AE92 has the 7 rib engine blocks, again not sure about that. They are a bit stronger.

3. Squeejy

Squeejy ---Can't Drift---

The big port red top is supposed to have an extra 8hp. The engine should go straight in and I've heard that it will run off the same ECU but you should check first.

The only problem with putting that engine in that I know about is that the inlet manifold is configured for a FWD car so it will need to be altered so that the air is drawn in from the other side of the manifold.

If you want a picture of what has to be done to the manifold just email me and I'll send you a picture of mine.

4. sunnyzx

sunnyzx Member

How will I be able to check this ?

Also is the modifying the inlet a big job ?

5. Squeejy

Modifying the inlet is a job that you can do if you are a good welder.
    It invoves cutting both ends off the manifold and the welding them back onto the opposite ends to what they were. If you look at the engine in the car on an AE92, the air is drawn in from the right, if the engine is being used in an AE86 then the air needs to be drawn in from the left.

As for checking about the ECU, find someone that did the swap before or if you can't, play it safe and source an ECU beforehand and use that.

Also I used to have a JDM 4AG from an MR2 and as far as I could tell, there were no differences between the UK and Japanese engines.

#5 Squeejy, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. Tom

Tom dangerous brotherhood

Couldnt you just use the 86 inlet?

7. Squeejy

No the manifolds aren't interchangable between the AE86 and the big port 4AG. You could just swap the manifolds over if the engine came from an AE82 though.

#7 Squeejy, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  8. sunnyzx

sunnyzx Member

What about an MR2 (pre 1989) or an early AE92

9. Squeejy

You could swap the manifolds over with the AW11 MR2 engine yes.