Exhaust for '92 Eunos Roadster (Mx5 Mk1)... Peco or XS Power?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by cib_cobra, Feb 17, 2012.

1. cib_cobra

cib_cobra New Member

Hi all,

I have a choice of buying either a brand new Peco cat-back exhaust for my '92 Eunos Roadster, or a second hand XS Power De-cat straight through one.

With the Peco it has a center box and is brand new, but has no de-cat (which I can buy for £40).

With the XS Power it has a de-cat, but is second hand (which doesn't particularly bother me), has no center box as came from a turbo mx5, and as far as I can work out XS Power have never actually made an exhaust for the Mx5 mk1.

What do people think as the Peco is only about £30 more than the XS Power? Does the De-cat make a big difference to noise and performance on a NA car?

Many thanks in advance

Chris

2. mazdachris

What's the cost of each?

Best exhaust for the MX5 in my opinion is the stainless steel single exit one sold by MX5Parts.co.uk. Probably the cheapest one you can get new as well. Well made, perfect fit, and they do a silenced de-cat pipe for another £50 odd. I'd go with a silenced decat as it really does make a big difference to the noise.

3. cib_cobra

cib_cobra New Member

The Peco is £150 on ebay (plus delivery i think) or £199 from Venom Motorsport, XS Power one is £120 delivered.

I've have a look on MX5Parts but their exhaust is over £300 so that's out of the running unfortunately.

Was looking at a straight through 2.5" de-cat pipe but don't know if that'll make it sound poop?

4. Denis K

Denis K Member

The peco would be better quality and fit. But I have used xs power stuff at times too and I have found it to be fairly good value for the money. If the xs power is cheaper I would go with that

5. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

i have a fairly standard lookin single exit on my 95 na, has cat in and theres still a nice enough note out of it. gonna pick up a decat next week though, once she passes the nct (irish mot)

#5 copeyhagen, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I've got a stock system with a silenced decat on it. Suits me down to the ground, nothing gayer than a slow car making loads of noise, but with a quiet car you can rape the fuck out of it going very fast without people thinking you trying to be quick.

7. mazdachris

I think you've looked at the wrong one there; the one I'm talking about is on offer at the moment for £150 - Stainless Steel Exhaust, Mazda MX5 Mk1 - MX-5 Exhausts Components for Mk1 1989 1998 - MX5 Parts Spares

As Stav says, it's really just for the noise - you're not going to get any real performance benefit from it. I just love how this one sounds, especially with the de-cat. Down to personal choice really. It's not what you'd call a stealthy sound, though.

8. theonemanyuri

theonemanyuri Member

mazdachris - the one in the link is £213?

edit - just seen the date on your post, guess the price must have gone up