FC3S - Hayward Rotary x SJS x Team Green

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by FlikstRR, Mar 16, 2009.

1. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Impressive Mr Flik, looks purdy and great work :)

I love FC's! :thumbs:

2. NORFY

NORFY Active Member

making extremely good quick progress there dude. lovin the bodywork, anxious to see what colour you choose.

D.R. ftmfw :thumbs:

3. dax24

dax24 Member

impressive build so far

4. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Fucking pron :D:D

Love it, going to look mint with that kit!

I need an FC some day :wack:

5. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

Todays update (16/03/2009)
    After staying up till 6am to write this blasted thing, I got woken up by more phone calls with s14 parts enquiries and decided to push on with 4 hours sleep!

I ran some chores, got a JDM rear plate made up to suit and picked up a few supplies to get ready to prep panels when the time comes.. I also picked up Dylan to help me with the days tasks.

..so back to the bodykit-age. With the front fenders on and the bonnet/light cover all loosely lined up to the point I’m happy but most wouldn’t. ( I LOVE the shonky, ziptied, battered look.. suits the sport and the lifestyle. So there :p ) we decided we couldn’t do much else without attacking the rear arches and over fender pairing..

First we offered up the overfenders to the car.. they didn’t seem super spot on. :( I fear this is because a cabriolet was used as a mould.. and the arse is shorter.. This alsop meant the rear bumper didn’t fit over them properly either.. resulting in this:
    DSC01767.

so with time short.. cba to swap them out and adjustments were made:
    DSC01768.
    To this:
    DSC01769.

I left a lot on there so we could trim down as we needed to make it reasonably level with the rear bumper joint and so forth. During this mucking about.. Dylan had been drawing lines on my car… then set about with the spinning wheely thing of win:
    DSC01770.

Right before I go any further…
    • I have no welder, nor access to one nor do I have and cash to buy one. So hush now.
    • I have a hatred for fibre glass/resin/hardener and general fail.. so this is being done ghetto style. It should last and if not I will sort when I have time/money later on, but for now its sweet.
    Ok so onwards with pics:
    DSC01772. DSC01773. DSC01774. DSC01775.

You can see that rather than bashing up the inner skin like one method we had seen, or folding them up the body like had been suggested to us or just cutting them off, I used the inner skin bent out to act as a fiberglass protector.

As well as give me the clearance I needed it also gave me abase to work on in the future and a nice bit of protection for now. Unfortunately I don’t have pics of the next stage.. but we then hammerite’d all the metal and the joins/cuts etc… left that to dry, then used sealant along all the joins, but remember theres no actual cut into the cabin.. no cuts to seal, no smoke-into-cabin nightmares.. we just seal the outer skin to the inner skin to stop water creep/rust. Oh and a truck load of rivets to make the structure solid. Sounds ghetto, but I think it does the job awesomely on a budget. :) :D

Finally after more fiberglass trimming, shaping the metal tabs a bit, recovering it all etc we then decided it would be nice to get some fitment shots and test out the spacing needed etc:
    DSC01776.
    DSC01777.
    DSC01778.
    DSC01779.
    DSC01780.

Still room for more spacing we agreed, but it was damn close. Once again lack of light stopped play.

That is all. :thumbs:

6. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Do the overs have much of a lip in them? I can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like you could go atleast 15mm under there

7. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

there is a lip, but I'm gonna wait till the full kit is on and the car is on flat ground and then decide how low to slamminate it. :thumbs:

the rear is on a 30mm+5mm spacer setup on an et35 rim so et 0 atm..

8. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

They're 10J +0 as they sit now? Thats pretty good then! You won't need too much more for ganster spec flushness

9. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Flikstrr dude! I'm trying to track down some wheel spacers in M12x1.5mm pitch but no joy. Any idea where I could get some? Got a slight issue with my front's hitting the coilovers. I've searched all the places I can think of but nada!!!

10. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

cracking read :worthy: is that a pair of mazda cosmo's in that yard pic ?

gonna look cool :smokin:

don't know if i missed something, what was the reason for not using the
    yoshi this year and building the RX instead ?

11. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

I'm not exactly 100% clear on waht is uber-godlike-awesometown-fitment. I believe its arch in line wiht end of tyre with rim protruding ever so slightly... but could be wrong.

I'll remeasure spacing, but I believe its 35mm.. so et0. i think et-5 will = win.

E-GAY! stateside sellers, Im using the same spacers from yoshi, so same pcd, but the pitch is differnt so specific nuts for spacers and mazda studs if u get me.

long story short.. i skinted myself big style building yoshi and competing last year.. i then got made redundant right after season and bang on the resession crap. No money, no sponsors, moving house, working for self.. given up all hope. :cry:

couldnt sell yoshi, couldnt fix/service/look after/fuel yoshi so put it up for sale.. :cry::cry:

but i'm weak willed and got a cheapo skid car i had been infatuated with for ages. . Then realised how much i wanted to be involved and cracked an awesome deal with Rx motors and nickson motorsport for sponsorship. (first evarrrr bar sjs in 08) .. without them.. and a MASSIVE help from my barclays credit card... id be no where near wheere i am.

#71 FlikstRR, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  12. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Yup pretty much. Like this.

13. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

yeah sweet.. although im gonna have to stiffen up my rear HSD's or one pod day and my rear overs are history!! :wack:

#73 FlikstRR, Mar 16, 2009
  14. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Haha yea, thats an example at the extremer end of the spectrum. Nice though!

15. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

phil i got a welder at my unit if you want to come over with sombody that can weld :)

also most kits that are 8 peice are made with that flare on the rear bumper where the overfenders go down but it maybe just replikit as ive had a few poor items from them before

#75 sx-si, Mar 16, 2009
  16. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

I doubt its replikits quailty I think they were unaware of the body shape differences between teh Cabs and the coupes.. easy mistake.. will sort it and keep tim informed as Replikit are helping me out big time, I have to do my best to give input.

17. jon_smith

jon_smith Member

WOW... i love the build. Realy liking the steering mods you have made, its all words to me so its nice to see how its actualy done.

I have to get mine sorted to a decent spec now too, that looks the nuts. Hopefully see you at Santa Pod on the 28th.

Jon:thumbs:

18. Hammond

Hammond Active Member

looks awesome phil, can't wait to see it in the flesh!

19. mcxxvi

mcxxvi i take pictures

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    effort ftw :D:D:D
    about the replikit stuff...it's true, they provide shit quality bits, truth is, they don't even produce the kits, they buy em cheap from somewhere and sell it off for another price, i know a guy who knows them, and his customers have always had trouble with replikit parts

20. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

Cheers dude. I know mim not alone and EVERYONE is putting a ton of effort into their builds.. but i swear mine has been at the worse time, in the most manic circumstance and totally bankrupting myself to do it.:wack:

Well Replikit have come on board to sponsor me I am in no way going to agree that they provide 'shit quality bits' I'll just say unfortunately some parts of the kit are not perfect fit.

But then my GENUINE D-Max kit from japan didnt fit perfectly on my S14.:rolleyes: