Finally bought one

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by neil a walker, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Good work dude, this is looking great, and I'm well impressed with all the geeky work you're putting in :D
    We have to meet up again sometime soon! Tomorrow night? :p

2. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Fuck nuts and bolts, wheres the rivet gun??!

Yeah, i gave up with fixing the spoiler on with nuts and bolts, the heads were just too thin to take the pressure exerted to bend the spoiler to fit, so used some big, chunky rivets...but it worked:smokin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers mate! yeah, i become a bit of a geek as of late:rolleyes:

Soz, afraid i got plans for tonite, but you gotta come and see us at the new workshop. its by mudie bond mercedes in cassington. (between eynsham and oxford)

3. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

it's on at last :D looking good mate :thumbs:

4. Papercutout

Lol, I ended up being busy too mate, so no worries!

Matt - you're due to meet up with us too!

And Neil, now you need a more manly exhaust! Chop chop (literally!)

5. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

yeah i know i'm skint at mo :(

6. neil a walker

Big gay tyres in the bin, stretcho toyo's purchased.

Wanted some more tyres as mine had taken a bit too much abuse as of late, (more on that later) so copied jason and went for 195-50-15" toyo's from camskill, £29 each! bargain
    I knew they would fit on a 9j rim, but when you actually see them on the wheels its proper comedy!

I was running 205-60-15" before, and were a bit too big, but swallowed up the black void in the arch. In Hindsight, i should've gone for 205- 55's coz these look a bit too skinny now:o Ah well' cheap enough to kill first...pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, yeah. tyres too small now:smash::o

Went to rat-look 2.0 at shakespeare county race way again like last year,
    again, i wont go into the rat-look thing as this is DRIFTWORKS but got a few snaps of sliding about while my missus slurped cider in the passenger seat.
    goodtimes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Papercutout

That's the second year you've not told me about that! Gutted mate!

Doesn't look too bad on those tyres IMO, just needs lowering more. Yes I know, low already, blah blah blah. It can be done though :D

8. neil a walker

soz, dude, i did send you a text about it, but by the time i got my name down it was all booked up, so had to blag it myself..:o

And, yeah more lowerings on the cards when i get the hsd's, but dont want to go as mentally low as jason, plus got the rear camber issue to sort in the mean time. it looks pretty rubbish at the back now, and the wheels dont sit right in the arches, so need to get rid of about 2-3 deg out the back.
    -.5 deg camber will be ideal.
    Looking into designing some billet weld on camber adjuster hangers that are machined out of something a bit overkill in the steel grade department.
    :nod:

9. Jason

Jason Nurse?

really like it, but i think that without that front splitter you could get away with a bit more lowness to help fill the arches? looks cool as fuck :)

10. neil a walker

cheers bud, yeah, i'd love to lower it some more, but im out of suspension travel now. gunna have to put it on hold till i get the hsd's as i drive it every day and theres scraping already. dammit ah well, its all good for now.

Oh yeah, been looking into adjustable spring collars for yours, and think we can knock up something pretty special that wont seize up over time.
    just waiting on my tax rebate to get materials to start making goodies.
    in the words of t.c.. " wheres my money"

11. chaycore

chaycore Eight-Sixer

its coming along nicely mate! need to organise another meet (one ill actually make it to this time!) soon!

12. Papercutout

To stop spring collars rusting spray/coat them with grease, then cover with electrical tape.

Get the rear tyres removed, put some phatter tyres on, and save the present ones for the front. More outlay initially, but it'll help you and when you need to replace the fronts you'll be like 'wow, no spending - I have some!'

13. Jason

Jason Nurse?

thats cool man! at the mo it just about doesnt scrape with no petrol in it and nothing in the back lol! ill be in touch when shes properly on the road, and come up!

14. neil a walker

Yeah, manly exhaust was needed in the end, old one crumbled to bits:smash:

So, we devised a plan...
    2 metres of 51mm mild steel pipe and an old peco backbox my mate Luke had lying about from a peugeot 306 diesel of all things:nod:
    Works out quite well actualy, coz although im not really sold on the boxer tail pipe, it was free, well apart from the tubing, which was £20, so a £20 full system, straight through. And being tuned for a diesel, its sounds like a big yank v8 from dle revs, up to about 3k, when it sounds like a proper straight six:smokin:

Its a bit too fucking loud tbh, but it goes a bit better at the top end just need a cherry bomb for a bit more back pressure i think, as its affected the lower end torque, oops:o but its all trial and error eh?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Papercutout

Nice :D I'll hear this Saturday evening then? (for about 2 hours!)

16. TomDrifter93

TomDrifter93 Member

17. neil a walker

Long overdue suspension overhaul.

I properly got ripped off with the old suspension on the car:(
    I got tokiyo hp's for it at a bargain price last year from america, trouble is, they took 4 months of hassle with the shop as he was a total slacker and not very helpful.
    [​IMG]

When i did finally get them through, they were a bit basic for what i really wanted, so always plannned on upgrading the car with something a bit more adjustable.
    You cant really slam these and run standard length strut inserts as you run out of travel very quickly. the lower you go the shitter it drives, bangs and clonks aplenty. In this photo i've only got about 1.5" of travel, so had to run very hard springs to minimise movement. Basically a compromise, and a bad one at that.:o

[​IMG]

I did buy some s13 front hubs with arms so i could change the car to hsd TT's:smokin:
    Only trouble with that is that they never seem to be in stock at the mighty driftworks, And even if i did change the hubs i would still have the problem of bump steer. You can change the allignment of toyota arms with some roll centre adjusters, But nissan would be a bitch and the only way to solve that would be dw geomasters, Which they dont do in 4 stud, and mega hassle.

So went with the Original plan (abeit short term) Of using sw20 mr2 rear shocks on the front, As they are 40mm shorter bodies and shorter damper rods.
    Chose kyb agx as they are the most popular and cheapest on the market. £74.00 each. I wont be running them forever, so budget was a factor.

Went to marks fabrication shop last saturday for the work.

][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In this photo note the distance from the bottom of the threaded collar to the brake hose bracket;)

Mark ground off his welds from the coilover sleeves he welded on last year, cleaned up the strut tube, and cut 40mm out of the strut tube, which you can see next to the vice in the pic. need to keep the top as its internally threaded for the strut locking collar.

[​IMG]

I then damanded that he Tig Welded everything back together in his usual pretty to look at beading way, which he did, Fitted the sleeves over the now 40mm shorter struts and tigging them up so you cant see where they were cut and shut.
    Amazing what refusing to make a brew can do, :rolleyes
    H als slitted the brake hose brackets so i dont have to remove the calipers and re bleed the system if i want to remove the struts again.

[​IMG]

Didnt get any photos of re-fitting the struts as tav needed the ramp, so cant show you that but all you need to know is that i got 40mm more travel, and was able to change the springs down to 450lb ones, Soo much better and less harsh.:cool:

[​IMG]

Also, major fuck up turned possible winner when i mistakenly bought the front cs2's from the driftworks skyline thinking they'd be the same mcphereson type struts as the s13 ones., They aint:no::no::(

[​IMG]
    Too'd and fro'd with them for a bit, tried to sell them on, then send back to dw so they could put them up again and i could get a refund that way, but nothing really happened and i was stuck with them.
    A mate wanted them for his bmw, but the lower brackets were too short to line up. Bollocks:cry:
    I then realised i could just use the dampers for the time being, and being cs2's
    the damping adjustment was surely worth keeping them. Had a measure of my old ones under compression and there wasnt much in it If i chopped my springs a little bit, they would fit, so took them apart.

[​IMG]
    Tings i wont be using on the left.

Got rid of the sleeves for a driveway mock up, will press out the metal part of the bush tomorrow at marks. then look at getting them on, but need a bit of welding first, and some extra bracing..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SX_BIG

SX_BIG Active Member

i absolutly love this car.. looks so goood. awsome work and spot on look.

swap for my car?... please!?

good stuff on the suspension to... subscribed.

19. neil a walker

Thanks buddy, glad you like it, it's definatly a labour of love for me, so hence i can never sell or swap it sadly:o unless the car you had was a 635csi then i would.
    I've break nissans like no-ones business too so would be a bit reluctant to get an s14 replacement:smash:
    seriously, remember that hilux on top gear? thats what these are like:nod:

If you can justify the price theres a mega tidy one on ebay atm.
    (Although it aint 190 quid like mine was:wack:
    TOYOTA CELICA SUPRA 2.8i, MA61, LIFTBACK, 5 SPEED on eBay (end time 04-Nov-10 19:34:12 GMT)

20. vashy

vashy Member

It doesn't get any better than that haha!

Rediculously cool car, and epic thread, lots of interesting reading (:

Liking the Corolla wing, glad you got that fettled into place in the end!

I saw one of these at JAE this year, a red one, immaculate, even though it had an intergalactic milage (>260k!), driven by this crazy but cool woman who used it as a daily.