First car ideas, insurance ect..

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Leno, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

admiral give no claims discount to named drivers and do a 10 month bonus accelerator scheme. may be worth doing that to gain some driving experience and save for when you do get raped.

have a look around at what cars other younger drivers are using and use comparison websites to get quotes.

just buy a cheap old car and run it for a year or two. i see plenty of kids go buy brand new 1000cc crap cars and get raped for finance then sell it on a year or two down the line for a massive loss after they have bought gay wheels and stick on crap.

you generally have to be over 25 to insure a classic car. from someone who has had old minis id advise you to get a modern car.

2. bubblesjs

bubblesjs I like wheel slips

yeah thats my way of thinking as well. my mates got a mk2 fezza 1.1 auto, but with a xr2 engine insured with them, £750! I dont condone putting a bigger engine in without telling your insurance company though (only said that to keep me on the safe side :euge:)

3. mitchel.

mitchel. Member

Haha screw be a named driver on a fiesta first year be bugger all

im 20 with a seat ibiza sport 2000 plate 1.6 8v 100bhp with a crash in 2009 declared rear ended someone £2000. im paying 1400 tpft a year.

Just bought a bmw going to insure it next month sigh 270 a month only got to pay for 3 months at a brunt ouch then cancel when im 21 yr old on december 23rd

BRENTACRE TO THE RESCUE:12 months policy £500 up front then £172 a month you don't pay the last 2 months.
    PREPARE FOR THE BEST BIT I CAN HAVE ANY MODS EXCEPT ENGINE CHANGE AND IT WONT GO UP YAYAYAYAY

21 YEARS OLD IS A GOOD YEAR FOR DRIVING insurance down.

4. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Nobodys name to go under nobody in my house drives dad had his license taken off him for health grounds so im forced to go it alone :cry: Best thing is i live in the dearest shithole for car insurance :D was over the moon when i heard this would much rather snort coke and smoke dope roled up in 50's outta my savings than pay £3800 on a 1liter micra :euge:

5. mitchel.

mitchel. Member

could always insure a quad bike?

6. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

In the dead of winter?

7. mitchel.

mitchel. Member

you only need a full car license to have one cheap to insure and ncb is same as a car?

wrap up warm?

8. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Man id rather walk tbh with the flanges about my town it wouldnt last long and id get every egg they could steal from sainsburys thrown at me would look well walking into work :no: .. Gonna have to try and bribe my uncle into letting me open a policy in his name on some shitheap :euge:

9. Joshy

Joshy Not Impressed

Get something vaguely interesting but low powered, cheap to insure and cheap to maintain. Trust me.

I say that as someone who refused to listen to that. I started off in a lightly modified 205 XS (1.4, about 100BHP) and wish to god that I stuck with that to be honest. Instead I took as many spped leaps as I could possibly could, onto a 530i E34 BMW, then a GTI6 engined 205 GTI, then a Twin Turbo Toyota Soarer for a year and now currently a V8 Soarer that I'm looking to sell... to fund a lower powered, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, easier to enjoy car.

If you try hunting around for big BHP car You'll end up spunking your money on insurance, running costs and in the end be left with nothing other than a craving for straight line speed that your wallet cannot really sustain. I reached the point where I'm a bit stuffed. I'm used to 310BHP odd, I'm broke and I cannot hope to insure anything that really comes close to that sort of power, topped with the fact that I don't feel like I can drive 'properly' (I.E fast in anything other than a straight line :D).

And to top everything off, I'm 20. I haven't been on the road more than 3 years and my taste for moving on up the car food chain has pretty much entirely surpassed my wallet or my chances of getting insured. The only way is "down", and whilst that isn't a horrible thing, it is difficult to complicate when you had 310BHP and was always, always looking for more power and am now facing the drop down to 115BHP odd in the form of a MX5 or something.

Trust me, take things slowly and enjoy just being on the road.

10. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Yeah problem is where i live its £3800 on a 1liter micra? Thats third party and fully compd is worse :euge: it would be easier on the wallet to move over to england and insure a car there than do it here :wack:

11. Leno

Leno Member

Yeah ive read that you need to be older in order to get a classic car policy, thats another reason why i haven't gone for a mini or something similar.

I have just done a bit of reserch (sp?) and found that pass plus can reduce insurance cost within the first year of driving, so i have left my instructer a message and asked how much it would be to obtain a certificate.

Basically im going to give a few companys a ring around christmas time (should have saved up enough money by then) and see what sort of money they want on a few cars, then decide what im going to do from there.

Oh, and thankyou so much for all the comments/advice guys!

12. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Be prepared for wallet rape

13. Leno

Leno Member

Yep :/ if its too rediclious ill just wait till i have a years no claims, unfortunately with the insurer im with at the mo i dont think i get any discount.

14. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Yeah just temp cover the car for drift days instead

15. CrabsterDrift

CrabsterDrift Callum Craddy

18y/o. Not got a car at the moment but did have a Saxo this time last year. Was £96 a month on my mums name/me named driver from Coop Insurance.

Now I can get a quote for £127 a month on a 316 BMW E30 or £150 max on a 316 BMW E36 :) Did have a sierra but due to rust I had to sell that... And it was quoted in my mums name at £92 a month (1.8 azura).

Volvo 340 (1.4 and 1.7) quoted at £120 a month
    Volvo 360 (2 litre) quoted at £125 a month

(All on coop as a named driver)

As for above comments saying about Temporary cover - You can't normally get it until you're 21! And as for waiting for 1 years ncb... Don't bother. It doesn't make the million pound difference everyone says it does!

I'm currently using my mums car (She can't drive so I drive her around when needed - Rarely needed) as she gets it through Motability meaning as her carer I currently get everything paid for on that car with the exception to petrol! :D Yea an automatic nissan note ain't brilliant - But I can get a '12 plate 320 convertable BMW for about £1500 when it comes to getting a new car next July :) Sounds wrong - But its well worth looking into if you're unlucky enough to have a disabled parent.

#55 CrabsterDrift, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  16. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

Fair enough mate, all the quotes I've got lately had been one sided towards fully comp, same with alot of people I know as well

17. Leno

Leno Member

Im currently paying yearly for my insurance atm as it worked out cheaper that way, currently paying 1200 a year as a named driver on my mums car. Crabsterdrift Does the co-op give no claims from the start of the policy? we are with them and im sure i've read somewhere that they dont start till 19?

I know a years no-claims doesn't make much difference, however i am planning on doing advanced driving/pass plus and having both parents on my policy (i have heard this reduces the price?) Hopefully this will be enough to get the insurace to an affordable cost.

18. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

Yeah named drivers on your policy are a good idea. Whatever you do, don't take out insurance in your parentss name where you the owner of the car and your the main driver as its fraud (only found this out after I did it a few years ago) But yeah, put a couple of drivers on your policy with a few years no claims behind them and watch your premiums fall :)

19. iiDazz

iiDazz TrackbloG

Im 18, and ive got a 1.3 Skoda Felicia...
    Im with Aviva Fully Comp with my mum on the policy & protected no claims and it costs me 1,700 a year

which works out at like 162.00 a month but i had to give a 355 pound deposit.

Bloody insurance aye, its worth more than the car! haha

20. Leno

Leno Member

Cheers Dan, i wasnt sure if that was correct but i think both my parents have at least 20+ years driving so it should help lower the costs!

Insurance is a joke at the moment, buy a car for a few hunderd quid and end up paying a few grand insurance :(