First car ideas, insurance ect..

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Leno, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

Tell me about it! 3 years time and I'll be smiling :D

2. Addymk2

Addymk2 New Member

Facelifted Alfa 145 QV was essentially my 1st car, 2 litre, 155bhp, £1200 insurance 3rd party. Quick, handled well, was decent on fuel and you will be a fully trained mechanic by the time you come to sell it on! I miss that car.

3. sxdrifter

sxdrifter Guest

i had a s1rA at 19 an sumhow an i really dnt no how but i insured it for less than a grand it was the best thing since sliced bread wen i got the quote so had to go buy 1 only got the qoute cuz i was bored an just seening wot i cud insure

4. Badger0068

Badger0068 Member

When I was 19 (2 years ago) I bought my first RWD car, a volvo 360 GLT (2.0l model) And I was paying less than I did on the 1.2 corsa that I had before. Think it was around £1000. It was cheap at the time as noone my age really had volvos. However its all changed now, I know people who have recently tried to get insured on 1.4 volvos at 18 and it has been thousands.
    I'm now 21 and paying £850 on a stage 1 s13.
    A lot of people will tell you to drive a shit car for a few years, get some experience and no claims and then get something fun. But I would say its better to spend all your wages on insuring a good car than spending all your money on trying to make a shit car good.
    Just get a lot of quotes with different companies and try to stay away from comparison websites.

5. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

nobody has suggested making a shit car good - any form of modification will have your rectum forcibly enlarged by an insurance company. Get a cheap shit car and leave it that way.

6. Leno

Leno Member

Yeah all modifications are off the cards till im about 20 it seems

7. GTRKiiNG

GTRKiiNG Member

Im from ireland im only after turning 18 last week n still on my provisional and my insurance is 1200 on a 1.1 206 under my dad i used to have a 2.0 tdi mondeo which was 1600 to insure which wasn to bad! Load of people i know only a year or two older than me are driving silvia's skylines type r's etc because they buy a shitty lil 1.0 corsa and insure it with this insurance company that allows u to drive any car 3rd party thats not registered in your name and has nct/mot and tax..so when i get a job thats gonna be the plan for me ;)

8. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

What Company is that fella thats doin the 3rd party on other cars ?

9. jcnissan

jcnissan Member

alot of them do it here in ireland for instance fbd but alot of them only offer it to you once your 25

10. Adam.

Adam. Member

I'm 18

What is it? - BMW e30 318i shitter
    What is the insurance like (roughly)? around 1500 quid
    Is it your own insurance policy? Nope

Sucks I don't get NCB but I wanted RWD

11. Reeco

Reeco Member

19 ( was 18 when policy started), 0 years ncb (will have 1 in november) 0 years driving experience, £3200 on a starlet gt turbo insured as a standard non turbo gl, but in novemeber when i get my first years experience and ncb i can get insured on a s13 for £3000 :D

12. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

being honest its too bloomin expensive to go alone anymore if i cant get under £2500 well then they can kiss goodbye to the money

13. GTRKiiNG

GTRKiiNG Member

Most insurances only do it if ur over 25 but quinn direct do it under 25's once u have a full licence n aviva used to but i dont think they do it anymore

14. Leno

Leno Member

I also have a maximim of 2500 ish, Dad thinks its rediclious paying anything over a grand for insurance but to be honest unless your a girl there isnt much chance of 'cheap' insurance!

15. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Have to agree and even at that i know females that complain when they get qouted £1500 ..

16. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

i thought quinn direct went bankrupt?

17. mcxxvi

mcxxvi i take pictures

Get a 1.3 EG3 Civic, insurance should be pretty cheap, cool little car and is not your average chavfest corsa 106 saxo pieces of shits!

18. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

I can't say anything about nice examples of these cars, but my friend have "not-so-good" one. It's falling apart, overpriced (£2000 over here!), slow as hell, ratty piece of shit that I fucking hate with a passion. The almighty 1.3 carbed motor have the same appetite as my 2.5 BMW engine, but gives ~50hp opposed to 170 German ones. No, it's true, it drinks the same amount of fuel, 14 l/km, but somehow manages to transform it not in power, but into an endless agony.

I really would not recommend get that kind of civic to be fair. You should look for an absolute mint example, or it will be a very tough introduction into an automotive world.

19. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

if i was starting all over again i would go commercial policy which you have already touched on by mentioning the astra van, where engine size doesnt matter and get , wait for it... a p100! plenty tarted up ones for around a grand on ebay with 12v v6 rwd power and the back axel converted!
    then you have a proper drift car which can look good when done right, and can also be reliable if done right.
    down sides are possibly the thirsty v6 or 2 litre pinto or whatevers in it and also the lack of back or fold down front seats for the inevitable riding of owle dolls you will be doing

20. scottymills

Ive got one of those civic 1.3's ! i pay £250 a year for insurance, granted im 23. But they would be mint for a first car. Enough power to get up to 70 without struggling, and seem to take a lot of abuse!