Fly-off Handbrakes?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mighty_Mini, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Mighty_Mini

Mighty_Mini Go!Go!Auto

does anyone use fly-off handbrakes at all?

I have one on my mini which i modified myself, for fun and some ass dragging action. :rolleyes:

I mean ideally... I'd make my clubman estate a RWD, then i wudnt have to get rid of my mini to drift... There is a guy in germany who has a RWD vtec minivan, and he drifts the Nurburgring.

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I really didn't want to get rid of my mini, I had thoughts of all sorts of mental projects that I would have never finished, including rear mounted bike engines.. In the end it had to go :( :( :(
    [​IMG]

3. John C

John C Member

This is something I've got on my list to look at - hydraulic fly-off handbrake and brake balance adjuster for the footbrake.
    I think both would be an advantage on relatively standard cars where you need some braking to get the car sideways.

4. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

If your buying

If your getting a new handbrake make sure you get one with cable attachment if your using it as a road car it wont pass MOT without a cable aswell. Otherwise you'll be like me and have to take it out for the MOT and put it back to standard.

Jay

5. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

So can you get a hydraulic handbrake with a cable backup that will pass MOT or do you have to have two(one of each)? Excuse me being thick but it's early and I'm tired :confused:
    :thumbs:

6. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

as long

As long as you have cable backup 1 brake should be fine.

Jay

7. Genjuro

Genjuro keyboard drifter

Are these 'spin turn knobs' allowed through an MOT?

[​IMG]

8. kivi

kivi Member

what are those?

9. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

they shouldn't be allowed but mine was.. I never fitted it propperly though, so if needed, can just whip it off..

Kivi, they go over the button of the handbrake, you remove the spring from the button, and this just acts as a lock for it.. you push the button in and it stays there allowing you to use the handbrake more easily, you push it out and it stays there allowing you to park the car without it going for a drive by itself ;)..

10. iKst

iKst Member

Where can i get this. ATM im using duck tape to keep the button in. But its not practical if you need to park :)

11. Euge

Euge Loves Boobies

I like the style man! keep up the good work!

:D

12. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Ikst

Glen ( Tokyo) would be a good man to ask with his contacts. He supplied me mine, although he was good enough to throw in a car to go with it !!

:D :D

13. shaiz

shaiz Active Member

How do those buttons work? Do you just click it in and it stays in; then click it in again and it pops out, or do you actually pull it out?

14. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

I have only seen mine working once kinda !!

If the handbrake is on (ie up) as per normal car, when you lift it up a tad to push the button in (if you had one) it automatically went in and stayed in when you let it down, or then pulled it back up again. You had to lift the handbrake as per normal and then force the button out with your thumb and catch it on the ratchet as you lowered the lever slightly for it to actually stay up with the brake on.

I hope that isnt too confusing, and is correct - if not, please dont send me the bill for any dents from unexpected "journeys" !!!

:D :D

J.