Front number plate laws

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by sebbiehe, Oct 12, 2015.

1. sebbiehe

sebbiehe New Member

Is it illegal to not have a front number plate on your car? Obviously motorbikes don't have them. Also, If you see a super car on the street, 9 times out of 10 they won't have front number plates. If you're caught without a front number plate, what happens?

2. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Yes its illegal, probably an on the spot fine and a rectification order.

I ran without a plate on my E92 but had it in the car with sticky pads as 'it had just fallen off officer', so after alot of sweet talk i got away with just the rectification order and no fine.

Only difference is if your car is an import with no european equivalent (no EC stamp or something) and has nowhere to put a plate, then all you can get away with is smaller font.

3. JulesS14200

JulesS14200 WORKin it!

£100 fine now isn't it? Wasn't so bad when it was £30, well it was still fucking annoying, I had the plate on the passenger sun visor.

I didn't run a plate for a couple of years in the Nissan, and a few months in the BMW.

4. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Long story short, you have to have one. And the more you argue if you get pulled over that motorbikes dont need them, the more he will probably find wrong with your car lol. Sorry dude

5. James998

James998 Member

£100 fine now, my pal got pulled with a sticky plate on the passenger side (pulled over because the friendly policeman initially didn't see it and assumed it didn't have one fitted), although he was fined because it was illegal (legally sized and spaced although not reflective material).

Not worth the hassle to be honest, plus you're just asking to be pulled over if you've already got a bit of a pikey car and you hoist a flag asking for it by not having a front plate.

6. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Havnt run one for ten years. Never been pulled for it and probably saved a few grand in fines.

However my cars are normally built with some pride/style, if your running around a shitbox e36 covered in rubbish then it'll probably get you pulled

7. willhsmith

willhsmith Member

got pulled last night for having small numberplate on the front, and a full size one in the window too, got told it was illegal regardless of one in the window or if it was a jap import, clean not battered s14a, didnt even hesitate to give me a ticket. not impressed, just got to wait and see what comes through the post but he was very certain i'm getting a fine, the second i mentioned jap imports having a smaller plate regulation he said fine we will go to court then...

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

Jobs worth. Too thick to see what there doing, too proud to know when there wrong.

It used to be a £30 fine, I got hit loads with that.. Then they bumped up to £60. Felt more of a sting. Is it £100 now? A more expensive reason not to stop then..

9. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

I think the whole import thing only works for a car that doesn't have a UK equivalent. So a chaser could have a smaller plate (64mm lettering etc) but a 200sx was available in the UK so you need to have a full size plate even if your 200 was imported. That being said, seeing as you did have both you'd think you'd be covered. Guy was clearly a bit of a dick

10. daniel_g

daniel_g Member

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

You are allowed to have square jap plates on any car as long as they have the correct sized lettering. Your actually more likely to get pulled for having a plate that's too small than not having one at all.

One that has the wrong sized lettering is clearly illegal, where as not having one they can't prove it didn't just fall off so it's a lot harder

12. daniel_g

daniel_g Member

On pretty much all my import cars ive had a USA 12x6" front plate, not sure how legal that? Not really fuckin interested either in what the police have to say about it. (If it was an issue)

13. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2002

Well theres the law. As i said, there are slightly different rules for an import vehicle that doesnt have EC type approval. Now whether or not that depends on age i dont know, ive got a chaser so mine definitely wont have it, but potentially a grey area for a 200sx that would have EC approval, but again that came in a certain year so would depend on age. You also have to not have a number plate recess.

It clearly says you can have 64mm lettering with 10mm horizontal spacing and 5mm vertical spacing with a 5mm border around the left, right and top edge. The bottom needs to be 13mm with the usual name and postcode which must be text of 5mm high. The overall size of the plate then depends on how many characters your plate has. Its not hugely smaller than a stock plate which i think is something like 72mm font. But if youre going to run the limits its worth having a printed copy of the link i posted in your glovebox. BUt if someone is going to interrogate that they will probably ticket you on some other discrepancy.

I think the usual tactic of 'yes sir, no sir, how high shall i jump sir' will get you out of most fines with a rectification order.

14. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

£100 fine nowadays.

i ran without plates for years and years. then when i was away on holiday BOTH my cars got ticketed outside my house (i live in a really quiet area so i'm guessing some pesky naighbours reported me). ever since then i've run plates. £200 was a nasty hit to take in one go.

15. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Stop being gay and just put a front plate on! Don't give them an excuse to pull you!

16. Mr III

Mr III Active Member

I hadn't ran a front plate on my cars since 98, never had any issues, but currently have one on my 180 as cant be bothered with them pulling me over.
    I know Imports are allowed to have a Plate with lettering no smaller than 64mm in height but has to be an import to have any leg to stand on as the plate locations on imports don't cater for the normal EU size plate.

If lettering smaller than 64mm in height then you are better off not running one. Saying that if you check the law it does not state anywhere that the plate has to be on the Bumper, but on the front of the car so there for can be placed on the front windscreen as it is on the front of the car still although you will get the smart arse officer who don't have a clue what the law is and sit there arguing with you till he checks, but to be fair nowadays the police look for any excuse to do you for something if you give them half a chance.

So for peace of mind just run a plate and don't give them an excuse to pull you over and throw the book at you.

Tony

17. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

I don't run a front plate, never have on any of my cars

I AM THE LAW

18. Pathogenmunki

Pathogenmunki New Member

yup that's the same for me

19. daniel_g

daniel_g Member

Depends if you carry narcotics in the car at times, then a front plate is advisable..

20. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

My car came with no space for a number plate stock and a uk car and its a 11 plate the pervious owner never ran a plate on it ever. I got worried so its got a stick on one now