G25-660 sr20

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Kieranps13, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Kieranps13

Kieranps13 Member

Welcome to my thread on the process of installing a g25-660 turbo on my Nissan Silvia ps13 club ks with the stock red top sr20det engine.
    So a rough spec on the car how it sits now
    Stock engine as far as I'm aware
    340 lph fuel pump
    Blitz front mount intercooler
    Hks intake
    Stock turbo
    3 inch turbo back exhaust
    Gfb boost controller set at stock boost pressure
    Standard injectors
    Standard ecu and tune
    And I think that's it so the car in this form made 225hp and 224lbft at the wheels which is not bad and is totally healthy.
    I've don't a fair few miles on this set up I don't use it for drifting not that it doesn't do the occasional skid but it is just a road car for me to enjoy and I hope to do a few track nights as I live 30 mins away from knockhill.
    So my plans for this winter are to install the g25-660 it has a .92a/r housing so is a bit bigger I have my reasons for this size I have also got a Walton top mount manifold to mount it to and a turbo smart 45mm wastegate I will be running a link g4x plug in ecu and will go mafless I'll also be running id1050x injectors and a radium top feed fuel rail the engine will remain standard internally for now but I won't be trying to push it to its limits and will have fail safes in place to protect the engine. My goal with this thread is to try break down what's all needed and possibly the cost of everything thanks for taking the time to read and there will be updates to follow.

_DSC0444 (2).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kieranps13

Kieranps13 Member

So exhaust side hot side turbo system whatever you want to call it. This is where I'm starting as this is where the most money is involved. I got a garret g25-660 with a .92a/r turbine housing I decided to choose this turbo in particular for a couple of reasons. So I know everyone seems to love the 550 version but to me this turbo is to small yes they make power on built engines but in my eyes no matter how well they flow they are still a small turbo so will create a decent amount of back pressure and effectively strangle the engine. I have also seen a few examples of 550s disappointing people by not making the horse power they expected and have heard it being blamed on not upgrading the cams this doesn't seem to be the problem to me as sr20s have been known to make high 300s and into 400 with stock cams yes upgraded ones will make a difference but to me the problem is poor sizing choice of the turbo when stock engine sr20s can make 400hp and have been for years. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be but that's just my analysis so for me it was the 660 with the .92a/r turbine housing this will hopefully still be relatively fast spoiling with a long power band right to redline. My thinking is with it being larger and inevitably slower spoiling it won't have that instant hit of torque which is what destroy engines and gearboxes. This size turbo should also give me some head room for when I eventually get the engine forged as I say I'm no expert but that's just my thinking .
    The next thing is wastegate I went with a turbo smart 45mm wastegate only reason I chose this was it was the one recommended by turbo smart. It has the 7psi spring installed which I think should be about right as I'm not going to be running mad levels of boost as it is still a stock engine and want to keep it reliable.
    How will you mount all these amazing parts I here you say well with another amazing part that being a Walton motorsport manifold I have heard nothing but good reviews for these and they are expensive but also come with a lifetime waranty and the quality is mega.
    I will be running a blitz intercooler which is already on the car. A custom down pipe and screamer pipe and will be making up an lines for oil feed drain and coolant lines I will also be doing some heat management with funk motorsport turbo blanket wastegate blanket exhaust wrap and gold heat sleeving for the lines.

20211111_170630.

20211111_170526.

20211111_170359.

20211111_172233.

20211111_172626.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MehGyver

MehGyver New Member

Car looks stunning! Looking forwards to results with the G

4. Kieranps13

Kieranps13 Member

Thanks dude yeah will be interesting to see how it performs