Global Engines & gearboxes Barking - Issue

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by CBRParr, Feb 4, 2014.

1. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Sorry I haven't updated this. It has been a long process and to be honest it takes a lot of energy and is a subject I don't enjoy talking about. I am not going to go through the particulars of the claim but an outline to help anyone in the future. This may be a little long winded so for the skim readers amongst us: We did go to court, the whole process took nearly a year and I won 20% of my claim.

What did I learn?

• Evidence is king. If you can’t prove it, then it’s just a slightly more grown up version of ‘he said she said’
    • It is a long old process. It’s stressful and it drags out what is already a horrible situation
    • Do your research. Website claims are not enough these days, search forums, speak to friends and other review sites. There are so many good garages out there that deserve your business, don’t make the same mistake I did
    • BMW air intakes are almost the lowest things on the car. The recovery man said he had recovered more BMWs than any other make.
    • I regret not filming when we went and picked up the car. In this day and age I could have simply strapped a gopro to my chest and used it as evidence. Not sure how well that would have gone down though. Recording phone calls would have helped but at the time, I didn’t really consider it.

Below is a step by step of what happened, I may have missed bits here and there but I’ve tried to get the useful bits in.

Anyway a quick review. I drove into a puddle during the floods last Christmas (2013) in my 530d and didn’t drive out the other end. The RX8 and the Yaris in front of me had no issue but my 5 series turned into a boat momentarily. Not my proudest moment. Skip forwards my car got recovered to Global Engines and Gearboxes (leaders in their field according to their website) and then it went more downhill than a failing amphibious BMW. They ended up taking twice as long as quoted and charging me £800 more, with the addition of lots of swearing.

Step one: Speak to trading standards. Garages can charge you a little bit more (I think its 5%) and that is sort of to be expected, but not over 50% more. Also as I understand it, once a garage has your car to do work on, they have a right to recover their costs if you refuse to pay (i.e. they can sell your car). Therefore I was instructed to pay under duress/protest and try to recover the money back afterwards. I suppose this protects honest garages against unhonest people. It is also important that you register things like this with trading standards, the first time they hear something negative about a garage is one thing but 3, 4 or 5 more times and it will stick out to them.

Step two: You must write a letter to the (in this case garage) to tell them that you are going to go through the small claims court. This will give them the opportunity to defend or compensate without the bother/costs of going to small claims. As I found out it is a long process and I assume that becomes a strike against their name.

Step three: Assuming they refuse your claim you need to fill out a ‘N1 Claim form’ and send it off. To me this seemed like an official version of the above letter. Again this gives the defendant a chance to send a counter offer/refuse etc.

Step four: (again assuming they refused) It then becomes a matter for the county court. They do offer you a mediation service which is basically an over the phone trial saving you (the claimant) money and time initially. Each party has to agree with this for it to be successful. In my case it was not.

Step five: There is a little bit more back and forth with paperwork and charges. The Hearing fee and Issue fee both depend on the amount of money involved.

Step six: You get told that you will be given a court date, and then finally get a court date. In my situation this took process overall from sending the first letter took around 10/11 months. Both parties then have to submit an ‘Evidence Pack’ to each other and the court. This gives a chance for everyone to prepare. Truth is the courts are so busy they don’t read it until that day.

Step seven: County court. It’s a strange place, for anyone that hasn’t yet been. I wouldn’t recommend it. For me it was the equivalent of the doctor’s waiting room, which meant that the guys I was going up against were sitting rather close. Not ideal when the court is delayed by over an hour. You get taken into what can be described as an office. You describe your side they describe their side, they look through any paperwork you leave the room (back to the waiting room), come back in 10 minutes later and they give you a verdict.

Step eight: Stay with me here, you’re nearly at the end. Once the verdict is made (in my case to some success) the defendant is ordered to pay in 14 days. For whatever reason my judge was feeling festive, since that landed on Christmas eve, she gave them 21 days. If they don’t pay by then, you then have to get a high court writ against them which initially costs you another £75 but the costs are recovered from the other side so not a huge issue. In my case it came close but they did pay in the end.

2. Nismo

Nismo Hachiroku Master

see this RAC forum link. a lot of people have been conned out of ££££

#42 Nismo, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  3. sl9999

sl9999 New Member

Sorry but posted on wrong thread

#43 sl9999, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. sl9999

sl9999 New Member

I had the same problem. My Alfa 147Q2 had a blown engine so I contacted global engines via ebay, they quoted £1495 for a recon engine sO I got them to do it. Had my car for 9 weeks in total (7 to 10 days quoted) Didnt get the recon engine, got an engine out of a scrap car, they even change my Alfa battery for a ford one, left off wheel nuts, really crappy job. The engine they fitted had a totally naff clutch, slipped as soonas I put my foot down, and 10 miles down the road (when I picked it up) there was diesel squirting out of the basr of 3 of the injectors.

Phened them and threw a few f's into them (Tony), threatened to contact media, watchdog, and my solicitor if they didnt collect car and sort it out. (Tony put the phone down on me) A day later, the bos phoned and saidf that they would get it sorted. They did sort of, they put a new clutch in and stopped the injector leaks but will neber use these cowboys again.

The final thing I did was buy an Alfa recon engine from them (didnt pay as I already had) and then left neg feedback. I suggest that all discontented customers do the same as 1/ they have to pay 10% ebay fees (£149 in my case) and also lets other people aware of who they are and what they do

5. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

Fuck off. Even if people had a fucking lobotomy and wanted to use this bucket of dicks for an engine swap, your blatantly planted review would not convince anyone. Your one and only post is this utter drivel. Fuck you, fuck your "baby bmw x6" and fuck Adam right in the face.

• Like Like x 1
  6. seanyreeves

seanyreeves Member

what a load of shit, nice reveiw of your own company global engines

7. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

hahahahahaha

8. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

Adam's the fucking best, he's so dreamy.

9. Latlum

Latlum New Member

Hi, in the unfortunate position of needing a replacement engine for my LandRover Disco 4 (3l). I was due to deliver it to Global Engines tomorrow (quoted £2,995 plus VAT fitted). Looks like you guys have saved me. Have just watched the watchdog report as Global trading under their previous name Ideal Engines.
    But where else can I go??
    MKL Engineering (Grays, Essex) seem also to talk a good game (quoted £4995 plus VAT fitted) 7 - 10 day turnaround but how do I know they won't be just as bad !! :( :( :( Advice someone please ???

10. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Yea I'm sure they did, funny how all the bad reviews from this company have been removed from review sites.

Still they were bad enough to make TV, Cowboy Traders or something wasn't it??

11. jbsauce

jbsauce Member

Clearly bullshit, first post just trying to save face.