Got Lock??????????? Wisefab kit!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by icewhite, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Cookie97

Cookie97 New Member

@madisa its bcus he was running on 5 cilinders but i guess 100hp wont make any difference at this point but anyway...
    mitto, you must obviously be blind because you missed that at the point where he straightned out he was about 2 secons away from being up in the ass of the soarer.
    am i right???
    and with that kit idgaf what anybody says but in eastern europe country's this lock comes in handy bcus of the size of the tracks here..
    they are small... meaning alot of smoke, angle and speed
    im from Estonia and most of the guys here use that kit and non of em are slow. its just that from the videos they seem to be.and trust me they still make mistakes even with the kit... i personally think that this kit gives you ability to improve more and get sicker runs then ever before.
    if you think of buying this kit and your country has mostly huge/wide tracks then forget it....
    problem solved.

#101 Cookie97, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Scrabby

Scrabby Member

That's just plain bullshit if you ask me, why wouldn't you be able to use it on a big track...?

@Madisa:

Atleast 500bhp? If you're not on full lock all the time, you don't need 500bhp. Allot of people seem to use those kits incorrect so they just won't spin out and do a 5 mph rolling burnout....

#102 Scrabby, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. AE86Zoli

AE86Zoli Member

Juha Rintanen S14 2JZ 700++(FIN), Dimitry Illyuk S13 SR20 500+ (UKR), Alex Golovnya S13 RB25 500++ (UKR) they use the wisefab lock kit too... I saw them last week at EEDC and Drift Allstars Hungarian round. And to tell the truth wisefab is really great. You need a lot of HP and balls to use the kit advances. The three guys above show way better drift then others, without reference to the results. I hope the guys will build up a kit for R33 too...
    But It's true that the polish guys did the same without wisefab (maybe on DW items) on the KOE Hungaroring round, but they are crazy :) Bochenek, Karkosik, Wartalowicz etc...

4. jankes

jankes Member

Polish guys didnt use wisefab as its expensive and there some rumours about it that wisefab kit doesnt self centre wheels itself as normal suspension does

5. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

ive been told by someone using this on an e30 that it improves the self centering

6. Mikko

Mikko Member

And what seen incar from Rintanens S14, it seems to work and selfcenter pretty well. And no complains either from other Finnish guys that use wisefab in their nissans...

7. ariel

ariel New Member

Hi guys.ive got wisefab on my Nissan s14a and love it to pieces.well desing and so far best steering kit I've driving on.got some vidieos when I took it first time Norfolk it was awesome but I've killed my engine-spark plugs melted LOL

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

You dont need cheat lock for backwards entry. You need to know what your doing for backwards entry. Most people dont. TBH Theres nothing in the drift world more boring than watching certain cars with 'cheat lock' going into a corner, basically loosing it and slowing down then relying on stupid mega lock to sort them out.

It looks shit, its not really drifting but thats how shit gets won here in the UK.

Almost.. as gay as people who use the handbrake more than the accelerator ....

9. tkddave

tkddave Member

i doubt i could drift with or without the kit...so yeah :/

10. peterhouze

peterhouze Member

juha came to ireland couldnt run the wall he had speed was about the hieght of it the lock saved him a million times if he had normal lock he would have socked balls fact cheat lock

11. RND

RND New Member

Wow.... A guy spends alot of cash and time to come to drift with you guys. He achieves alot, gets podiums and stuff. And then you come and say, he sucks balls, because he uses a modified steering kit?

It's basically the same, as if Phil would come to anywhere else in europe with his S15 and then someone would say: Yes he drifted fine, but without the Geomasters he would've spun out alot, therefore he sucks balls.

I mean yes. You guys from the UK/Ireland are really patriotic over Driftworks parts. I get it and I don't see nothing wrong with it, since people around Europe get to install some drifting goodies to their cars. But Wisefab is the same thing, just their main concerns are on different aspects. Wisefab has produced kits to BMW's, Nissans and Toyotas(The new supra kit, that Aasbo tried out and approved). So Wisefab has enriched drifting parts to other cars aswell. And whats so bad about that? It looks stupid? You guys should think a little before you say something. Most comments here are just ''I don't like it therefore it must burn in hell''

12. reeperR32

I'm sorry mate but what exactly is "cheat lock"?!

People try them selves to get as much lock as they can from modifying there standard items but when a company develops an off the shelf product they get slated!!

If someone made there stock parts capable of lock like this they'd be a hero right!! :wack:

13. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I only have one issue with the wisefab kit and that's the price.

14. Scrabby

Scrabby Member

Yup, main reason I went for the SLR kit.

15. reeperR32

i dunno man, ive been speaking with SLR and there price is still like £800 for an e30 so less than £200 in it

16. Scrabby

Scrabby Member

Ah ok, well was much lower when I bought it. So ye... :)

17. inertiaMS

inertiaMS Member

Hey guys, thought i would share my opinion of the kit, although i have not driven a car with it (will very soon), i have a fair bit of experience with big angle entries, from stock cars all the way up til my custom design which is designed specifically for big entries.

first things first, i think it's a pretty good piece of kit, but it's not exactly designed for what i believe the best advantage of a good lock kit is.

the wise fab kit does quite a few things, first it takes care of your clearance issues, by creating a very long lower control arms, it also effectively relocates your strut tower, or atleast it relocates where your upper steering point is, it both moves it outwards and forwards, it moves it outwards to allow the lca's to be long, without creating stupid amounts of camber, this gives maximum clearance, and is why the wheels protrude so far out of the guards. it also moves it forward, this is to reduce caster angle, which is responsible for a lot of the "jacking" of the wheels you get where they lean over, this is why the wheels sit so flat with the wisefab kit. the issue is, this is what gives most standard cars a lot of their wheel return, wisefab counters this by offsetting the stub axle on the upright, this increases the caster trail, which is different, yet not unrelated to caster angle. now how much wheel return this gives you i'm not sure as i haven't driven the kit, but i'm sure it's sufficient for most uses.

so far the kit has dealt with clearance, wheel jacking, and it's next step is the bind, it does this by a few things, first things first it positions the wheel quite central in the guard as unlike with most aftermarket setups where they shorten the tension/caster rod to gain caster angle, pulling the wheel forward, which in turn creates bind, the wisefab doesn't have to deal with this issue, reducing bind. They also use offset rack spacers to combat the bind, these are probably the weakest link of the kit, they have been used for years, but quickly fell out of fashion due to the damage they did to both the racks, and the threads in the end of the racks, often coming loose or completely failing. I have already seen this happen to the only wisefab kit i have seen in person, although after having a chat with him he has ditched the offset spacer and properly relocated his rack further back, so that should fix that problem.

So all said and done, it does all this fairly well. The issue i have with the kit is trying to understand what it's point is, as someone who has been practising backward entries for years, big angle 101 is making the front compliant, less grip the better, as even with the craziest lock, it's not going to help you past that amount of angle. say for example wisefab gives you 65 degrees, and you're attempting a 90 degree entry, your fronts will need to slide, ideally they slide as easily as possible, and your rears resist the slide more, meaning you can throw harder, and have the rears catch instead of continually going around. So here's where im a bit confused, as one of the big draw cards with the wisefab kit is they keep the front wheels flat, increasing traction at big angle, making the fronts much less compliant. so here's the problem, at angle below 65 degree, the front might be considered more controllable, however i'm not sure that's really a problem with a lot of setups already.

some people might consider this free grip, so what's the problem? the problem is caster angle, and it's jacking effect, which wisefab got rid of, is there for a reason, under conditions where you're not drifting, ie not using opposite lock, the effect improves grip, and one of the best things about caster angle is the turn in it gives you, which i consider is the most important place to have front end grip on a drift car, on turn in. Once you're past that point, at low amounts of angle, their is minimal jacking regardless of whether it's a wisefab or other setup, so the effect on it's grip there is minimal, it's once the lock gets big that the jacking gets big and starts to bugger your grip, in my opinion, this is exactly where you want lack of front grip, where the rear is most vulnerable.

for more info, jump on here, i have gone more into depth about other big lock aspects:
    » Lock Hunting

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

IMO Wisefab kits etc isnt about backwards entries etc, as tbh they are next to useless in comps etc (unless its a backwards entry comp, lol), it's just about giving the maximum possible lock, reducing the chances of having to let off to stop a spin etc.

Yeah its 'cheating' to some, but thats like saying if we were real drifters and not cheaters we would have the steering locked in the dead ahead position, run stock lawnmower engines, and paint all the windows black so we have to do it blind.

19. inertiaMS

inertiaMS Member

i know where you are coming from dude, but the whole point of a good lock kit is you can get on the throttle sooner with big angle, there are certain entries on certain corners where stock knuckles are suffice to get backwards, however a problem good lock setup at the front will help go that same kind of angle into corners where you can't hold the same angle with stock knuckles.

lock setups these days are the same as engine setups have been for years in the drift scene, just another way to make it easy to hide their mistakes and poor driver skill, however there are others out there that are using the setups to push the limits, and in my opinion that's worth the trade off.

20. inertiaMS

inertiaMS Member

you don't have to go backwards to go past 65 degrees of angle, the japanese consistently go near or past 90degrees within competition, you also don't need to go past 65degrees of angle to feel the benefits of a compliant front end.