Got Lock??????????? Wisefab kit!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by icewhite, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SeanLove

SeanLove Member

Who said I build car's professionally? My company builds and sells parts, which you can setup however you like, but we don't build cars. I've had a hand in setting up some pretty serious cars though.

You can say generic things about balance and track surface, driver style, etc etc. But the reality is that pro drift cars are dialing in more and more REAR grip. Not necessarily tire size, but just more rear grip in general: softer rear spring rates and shocks, etc Maybe it's not happening in the UK yet, but the fastest cars here have a big rear bias on grip and you can watch them walk away from cars that have a natural oversteer dialed in.

My personal cars have always been setup very balanced, so I know it would take some adjustment of my driving to get used this new trend. I'll be driving again and playing around with setup when my new motor is finished.

As for the jacking effect, I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but as you steer left; the left side of the car lifts a bit because of wheel offset and caster, and the right side lowers. SO running a wide tire on the front of a drift car will help turn-in, but it doesn't matter at full lock since you're only on the outside edge of the tire. It's always the trade-off of self-centering steering, caster, ackerman, camber.

Also when in drift, the lateral forces and staying on throttle shift weight to the outside rear wheel even more than a road-race car, so this is where a lot of the speed has been found.

Have you seen some of the tandem rounds with Daigo Saito, Vaughn Gittin, & Chelsea Denofa? On their Chase runs they have to give a 5 car gap just to avoid catching the other guy before the first clip.

One last thing about rear grip bias is that it lets you throw the car a lot harder and faster on the entry, and it will come back to you still. This is how the reverse entries have become commonplace also.

2. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

I like it, it make sense. The explanation of his point was direct and without any insults. Seanlove is truly a better forum pro.

Seriously though, rear grip and max speed on the entry seems to be an obvious winning combo. BUT, you would need a decent amount of power to make use of that, and actually push you back on line.

3. kevinLee

kevinLee Member

There are a few people setting theyre cars up like this. But people of europe are obsessed with front end grip. Also we dont really have mental tracks, the majority of tracks used for drifting i the uk are kart tracks or air fields or carparks.

Jacking, rake and few other things get mentioned on here from time to time but it just fires up the warriors and starts an argument. IMO more rear grip and a slightly understeering setup is fast and hell of alot of fun. I

m sure Denofa states that over 70mph his car doesnt have any steering :D

4. willmx

willmx New Member

more lock on my bmw e30

just wondring if anyone can help dose any one no were you can buy hub for my bmw e30 to get more lock ??