Great GT car but pretty average Drift Car

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by FredInToronto, Sep 10, 2020.

1. FredInToronto

FredInToronto New Member

Hi,

Total Newb here. I am looking to build a nice GT car for the warmer months. I already have a nice Winter beater. I thought I would check out the various drift projects that people are doing and then just scale it back a bit to make it a crummy drift car but a decent GT. Keep the welded diff but get street not drift tires. Make it a manual transmission, but don't worry so much about shedding weight. Those sorts of things.

My budget is US$10-15k. I don't have a garage and will need the help of someone experienced and know I need to pay them but really don't want a turn key type place as I don't have the budget for it. I would help, source, gopher, scrub, etc.

Of course buying someones partially done project would be great but I live in Canada so crossing the border with a non running car is not the easiest way (talking post Covid of course).

Anyway, looking forward to reading about your projects. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

I have several projects I am considering already. Not my own experiences, opinions here. These are just rehashed things I have read. Would love to correct any inaccuracies.

Here are 3 of them:

Stock
    Infiniti G35 sedan 6mt
    Obviously the easiest choice but is it the best for me?

Conventional
    Volvo 940 CD009 swap, bigger turbo and a tune
    Pretty old, hard to find and expensive parts

Unconventional
    Audi A4 RWD conversion, welded diff, better turbo and a tune
    Heard about electrical issues, possible money pit, and wouldn't JDM be more reliable route?

Many, many others.
    Thanks for reading.

Regards,

FredInToronto