Harley's RS13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by KillboSlaggins, May 21, 2018.

1. ifyoucantbeate

Really like this, mates got a 90s style on wat reps with chuki skirts pig nose and splitter etc but this is so much cleaner and nicer. Nice to see it develop

2. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

thanks lad, who's ya mate? wanna see his

3. ifyoucantbeate

Gee from reckless tribe with the purple Fc3s rx7? Has a little s13 as a daily

IMG_20180831_150105.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KillboSlaggins

Ahhh yeah I chat with ghalib now and then, nice lad.

His will be spot on once it’s painted :cool:

5. KillboSlaggins

- Inevitable engine death update -

I thought I may as well report that the ca has died :oops: This is mostly my fault, the turbo gave up on the way to a car meet a few weeks ago and I decided to try and nurse the car to a friend's place half an hour up the road. This of course drained the block pretty quick so I'm sure most of you know what happens when running without oil. Still runs surprisingly but yeah, should have stopped and recovered the car but I didn't care at the time, and in all honesty I'm not annoyed at all. I have been mentally prepared for the ca to die for some time now despite servicing/maintenance, just a shame it was my fault in the end.

I'm sure everyone has seen an s13 on a lowloader before but just in case....

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8337.PNG

Massive thanks to Rory for helping getting the poor thing onto the lorry, and the legendary AA recovery lad for unloading. Was a struggle but all good with a bitta wood.

Despite what I had originally said at the start of this thread I'll be chucking in an sr rather than replace the ca. Just fancy a change, won't be for a while because I don't have a penny to my name and we all know sr's are silly money now.

#85 KillboSlaggins, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Lukey13

Lukey13 Active Member

Just caught up with this thread Harley, your car is seriously looking fucking ace mate!!

7. KillboSlaggins

Ah cheers man appreciate that

Hope you and the ps are doing well, and you know where I am if you ever want to sell the longchamps haha

8. KillboSlaggins

Things have happened

After deciding to go sr20det I was offered a rebuilt bentcam and some help swapping it in by a good mate up at his old man's unit so a few weeks ago he came down south to pick up the s13 and towed it up to his. In the meantime I've been buying some of the sr bits needed (nothing interesting) and sold the ca to someone wanting to rebuild it.

ca to sr conversion loom from Norfy

GUCB8652.JPG

Poly engine mounts as mine are fucked

HIKC3473.JPG

sr ally rad + fans

BUCQ9734.JPG

aaaand backing plate

AIBI7186.JPG

The sr has been stripped and sent off for cleaning, ARP bolts, nissan gaskets and ACL bearings all bought but my mate is taking care of all that. His unit is equipped with manual lathes and mills, surface grinders and a CNC mill so he should be covered!

IMG_8380.JPG

IMG_8379.JPG

I popped up on Saturday to take out the ca and start getting ready for when the sr is done. I mostly fucked about doing stupid little shit so I wasn't much help but we got there in a few hours.

IMG_8955.JPG

spot the rust

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8961.JPG

yes, those are plastic containers at the back, he was brave

IMG_8963.JPG

IMG_8965.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

Can't decide if I should tidy the bay and spray it while it's out, looks pretty rank but the engine isn't going to be cheap and I'm trying not to spend even more. Will need to sort the turret tops anyway

IMG_8966.JPG

Anyway we had a quick clean up, got changed and went for some food and beers knowing the worst was done. Can't thank my mate enough for his help. I've been really lucky with several people lending a hand over the 18 months I've had this and I'd be even more clueless if it wasn't for them so a massive thanks to all.

• Like Like x 7
  9. KillboSlaggins

Not much to report again really, just bought more shit!

The ca got packaged (thanks to my mate) and sent to it's new owner for a rebuild

IMG_9251.JPG

Managed to collect a cheap bellhousing thanks to Adam from team bustin loose. Gave me a good opportunity to have a walk around huxley's unit and look at typically cool shit

MZFU7432.JPG

CA bellhousing off

IMG_9243.JPG

SR bellhousing on, all ready for it's new engine

IMG_9242.JPG

New clutch and flywheel turned up, went for 6 puck sprung stage 4 competition clutch

IMG_9316.JPG
    Non NATS ecu, bellhousing bolts and few other bits also arrived

IMG_9315.JPG

My mate made a start stripping the front for my next trip up to prep the engine bay for paint as some local lads quoted super cheap mates rates. Decided it was worth doing, it desperately needs attention. More russssst appeared which will get sorted

IMG_9473.JPG

Managed to get some paint from work after asking nicely, went for Aston Martin hyper red which hopefully looks decent with the white

DRHP7237.JPG
    Hopefully it should look similar to this

OPYH1602.JPG

Just a few more bits to buy, get it back from the booth and hopefully start putting everything in! I'm sure something will fuck up but we'll see aha

Sorry for the boring updates, I know i'll forget half of this if I don't write it now o_O

Cheeeeers xx

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

That colour is going to look killer dude

Keen to see this back together

11. KillboSlaggins

Thanks mate, fingers crossed it comes out okay xx

12. Tomaphobia

Tomaphobia Member

nice build man, it’s came a long way! looking forward to future updates

13. R33Bill

R33Bill Member

Looks great man! I would say ditch the electric fans though and stick with the standard viscous fan + cowling with an ally rad. I've tried twin electric fans on my SR before and got too hot on drift days (specially in the summer). Just my opinion though.

14. KillboSlaggins

Cheers dude, yeah I heard similar tbh but the rad came with the fans so I thought I may as well use them and see for myself. The plan has changed and I’ve bought another sr which has the standard viscous fan so at least I’ll have a choice aha.

Thanks for the heads up

15. KillboSlaggins

Thanks matey :p

16. KillboSlaggins

Updaaaaate

Been busy and I've probably forgotten loads

So as I had predicted, nothing at all went to plan. I wanted the car back for STL4 as I had paid for my seat and missing out on that would have sucked so that was the goal. Unfortunately we quickly ran out of time and rebuilding in a rush isn't a good idea. Plus running in a fresh sr banging around driftland is a worse idea. Another mate had a bentcam for sale so I bought that instead.

IMG_9654.JPG

Compression tested and 86k miles, also came with 555's which might be used if I chase power one day.

That was one less problem to stress about, the next was rust. After my mate stripped everything out and wire brushed the bay he sent me some rank photos

IMG_9521.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9636.JPG

Rough as fuck! Luckily his welding is decent so I got a cutout for the headlight backing to patch the massive hole, and he cutout and patched the rest too. He also remade the turret top pads that were completely rotten which came out mint

IMG_9688.PNG

Next time I came up all the welding was done and was primed ready for paint

IMG_9704.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

Couldn't believe the difference, was so much happier! Next was paint, I reaaally wanted to use the aston red I got but I had completely run out of money and there was still a lot I needed to buy so I had no choice but to rattle can :( Couldn't decide on a colour so just walked into halfrauds and picked up the first colour I thought looked alright.

IMG_9708.JPG

IMG_9706.JPG

First coat looked alright, I was happy. Similar ish to cusco blue

Next was ABS delete which my mate's mate did at his unit, super tidy job again and I was starting to realise how many people do things properly and how I should start approaching things with a similar mind set. Steering bush changed also as the oem was shagged

IMG_9772.JPG

IMG_9773.JPG

Will paint under the bonnet when I get time but really happy with how it came out

IMG_9771.JPG

Then the sr was in, rocker cover will also be painted eventually

IMG_9774.JPG

Drove up with liquids and filters ready to start it and made myself useful by putting some of the panels back on

IMG_9763.JPG

EMPX8891.JPG

Started on the first turn so that was another thing not to worry about.

Next was fitting smaller battery, intercooler, maf and washer bottle. Again I did none of this just bought the bits. My mate was not happy with how low the intercooler sat (japspeed special) so he went about making a bracket to sit it as high as possible and welded the pipework to suit. Again I was really happy with how it came out

IMG_9812.JPG

IMG_9813.JPG

IMG_9920.JPG

Everything was fitted ready to run with just a few days to spare before the trek up to scotland. But it wouldn't rev past 3k and yeah, stressed as fuck. Tried 3 maf's all working on other motors, checked timing, knock sensor etc etc but no luck. So the last thing I could try is the ecu, but everyone had told us if it was the ecu then it wouldn't start? So I left work after being there 2 hours on monday and drove 2 hours to buy a stock uk s14a ecu to try. Then drove another 2 hours to the car, removed the nats, plugged it in and it revved as it should. Idled a bit wank but didn't stall and revved. Tweaked the idle, filled it up with fuel and tested it. No hesitation or boost leaks, everything ran as it should. Sick!

So drove it home monday night, booked tuesday off work, cleaned and loaded the car up (picture before I cleaned)

FXSE8515.JPG

Left wednesday morning and met with norfy, rory and dan for the 8 hour trek. Was a fun drive up and I was stoked to have my car back and to be around a good bunch of people

IMG_E9981.JPG

Made it to driftland with no issues at all, parked up and unloaded. Then drank too quickly and ended up play fighting with mates forgetting I wasn't 8 years old. Did my back in falling over on the gravel and basically ruined any chance of me getting sleep in the back of the s13 so basically no sleep for 3 nights :no:

I only drove the Thursday and had a killer time, but I struggled like fuck all day. I could blame the lack of alignment but in reality it was my driving. I was too scared of binning it up the bank to go fast on entry knowing how far I had to drive home. But still a sick day learning a lot especially with transitioning and changing down mid drift. The marshals there were great, telling me if I had driven the friday I would be linking the whole layout so that was encouraging.

Car didn't let me down at all minus bending a tie rod which luckily my friends had a spare

IBUJ7662.JPG

STL4 was still the best event I've been to and worth the drive, sick cars and great people. Good to meet some faces in person and hang with my favourites

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_9980.JPG

The drive home was longgggg but made better with some company. Car made it home no issues so although nothing went to plan I'm kind of glad we went this route. Stock power means more chance of reliability I guess! Alignment and lock are next after I've paid for all the work gone into the nissan

Sorry for the big update and picture overload x

#96 KillboSlaggins, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  17. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Good to see it running again, hoping to get to an stl day at some point but it's such a trek!

18. KillboSlaggins

cheers, yeah it's not an easy trip for us southerners ay

19. Bjz97

Bjz97 New Member

hehe cute x

20. KillboSlaggins

hi ben xx