help diagnosing problem

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by JDMtom, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JDMtom

JDMtom Member

Well this is confusing the hell out of me ,

couple of weeks ago I noticed more vibration through my gear stick also at the same time when i pull away in 1st the whole car judders badddly, also if i change into 2nd too low down the rev range it judders.
    I have found that if i release the clutch suddenly with more revs then it does not judder.

Also if i depress the clutch pedal i get like a ticking / tapping noise.
    also occaisionally as i depress the clutch to change gear i get a noise that sounds like a metal version of turbo chatter, Defo not coming from the turbo though .

I have a welded diff that seems to have some play in one of the shafts but why would noise be coming from the clutch ? If i clutch kick in 3rd it still spins up the rear wheels

any help is appreciated

2. Tiz

Tiz Member

warped flywheel?

3. JDMtom

JDMtom Member

what could cause a flywheel to warp ?

4. Si-Sideways

Si-Sideways Member

Do you have any problems selecting a gear?

5. JDMtom

JDMtom Member

only problem i get selecting gear is when its cold 1st to 2nd can be a bit shitty . and occasionally going in reverse requires a bit of a tug

6. Si-Sideways

Si-Sideways Member

I had a similar sounding problem on my mx5 then my clutch release bearing exploded into a million pieces! i dont remember the ticking/tapping sound though

7. richy d

richy d Active Member

I would say that one side of the friction plate has come loose from its rivets.

I get this a lot,with the line of work im in cars/clutches get abused,and usually these symptoms are related to the above.

You will still be able to select gears and drive as with the clutch released,everything is clamped tightly,then as you push the pedal down,one side of the disc continues rotating at speed,giving you the chatter type noise.

This will also cause judders and ticking clicking noises on depression.defo worth a look.

#7 richy d, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. JDMtom

JDMtom Member

ahh so would you say new clutch ? then obviously with it of check the flywheel ?

spose with that aswell sometimes if i catch it right it wouldnt judder?

9. richy d

richy d Active Member

Yeah new clutch,check,maybe skim flywheel if fucked.

And yeah,sometimes you'll get a good bite on the clutch and the car will drive as normal.it's a wierd one which can be hard to diagnose,but once youv'e seen a few you pick the problem up a lot quicker.

Though i'm not saying yours defo has this problem,it stands a good chance that it could be.