HID Lights

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by MrBish, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrBish

MrBish New Member

Happy Sunday folks

Got a 95 JZZ30 Soarer with some HID lights (dipped beam only) that were installed back before it was imported to the UK. However questionable some of the wiring/install is, they are in proper projector housings, not reflectors.
    Long story short they're worn out and useless to the point where you can hardly tell they're even on at night, hence why night time driving is a no no.

I've been pointed towards a company based across the pond that sell the Morimoto kit. This is the one I was looking at. Just wasn't such a fan that it's got to come all the way from America if I get a problem.
    Can anyone recommend a well known/reputable brand/distributor to get a new kit from in the UK?

Another option I was thinking of was going back to standard bulbs. The only downside is I don't have the bulb holders as the current HID's bulb/holder is a one piece thing. I'm assuming my only option would be to speak to a breaker and try to get some 9005 bulb holders and join wires onto existing wiring?
    Another question is how well do regular halogen bulbs work in projector housings? Had a quick Google and people say both good and bad things but I suppose that's the Internet eh!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

HID systems are ten a penny these days, I don't think you need to import something from the states.
    10-15 years ago there were plenty of dodgy ones around, but now most kits are pretty decent.

You should be able to get a decent kit from someone like https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/