How can I remove this broken half shaft flange from inside the diff?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RawrMeansFYou, Sep 28, 2020.

1. RawrMeansFYou

RawrMeansFYou New Member

The story begins with a welded diff in an E46 problem. I have a 318ci and broke the half shaft first night I got the welded diff in... In the rain. So upgraded to 320d shafts and cups. Lasted for months, now I've broke the cup. Problem is, I can't get the broken part out of the diff. I tried prying it out with the small lip that was left, no luck. Screwing a bolt in didn't work and just stripped the threads. Now I've welded a bolt on and it seems this thing is just not budging with any prying and banging I do. Any ideas would be great. May just have to take it to the mechanic to get on the lift and remove the diff to get it out.

IMG_20200928_183323.

IMG_20200919_135725.

2. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

If you take the other half shaft out, can you punch through ?

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Chances are it's welded in, easy to get the end of them with the mig of not careful

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. RawrMeansFYou

RawrMeansFYou New Member

I've tried this with a spare diff I have laying about and should work... I just stripped the heads off the torx bolts. Waiting on spares and just cut them off and try punch them through.

I think I'd leave this as a super last resort hahaha

5. Mgentry90

Mgentry90 Member

Is that groove around the end of the thread not for a circlip? Would there be on one the end holding it in place from the inside?

6. RawrMeansFYou

RawrMeansFYou New Member

Naw there's usually a seal on top but I exploded that too. You can usually just give it a few taps with a hammer and it should slide out.