How to drift with open diff

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Maxevaaans, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Maxevaaans

Maxevaaans New Member

Okay so im not expecting a miracle technique or nothing im just hoping for some help on drifiting with an open diff.

I have a BMW E82 and all i really want to do is get sideways in one direction and drift roundabouts (on private land of course) im not to fussed about transitions and what not untill i get a proper drift car with LSD or a welder that i can throw around without a care.

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Go figure it out.
    Watch out for hard things.

People that actually drift usually don't ask for a walk through guide.

3. EDD.

EDD. Member

There's a very good reason as to why no one runs open diffs.

If it's something you're actually keen on learning, get yourself an appropriate car. Probably something cheaper than an e82, weld it up and take it to a practice day. You'll learn far more that way as opposed to dicking about on roundabouts.

4. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

I know of three people who have wanted to skid with an open diff. I know of three people who wrote off their cars trying due to how unpredictable it is.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

As above. TBF I wouldn't bother.

With a RWD with any kind of power and no traction control, an open diff is more dangerous than having a LSD or a welder in my experience, as it's unpredictable as fuck, awful. What the rear wheels will do one minute, they will do something else straight after.

Not sure why some companies still do it even on powerful cars.

6. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Another plus one for not trying. It's pointless and you'll break your car

7. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

On the other hand I drifted a 325 with open diff solidly for a year maybe more. Monthly drift days and lots of streeto. It was my second drift car the first having a stock lsd
    However I soon changed my mind once I'd experienced a welder.

Certain things are possible with an open diff, big roundabouts being one of them. You'll never get it to leave junctions sideways nor do donuts but it's still possible to have some fun with.

The advice about not learning on the road is a strong one though, especially with a less predictable open diff. Practice somewhere safe and open to practice how to control the car without destroying it or worse still other people.

8. Ramon

Ramon Member

As long as u don't initiate by only using throttle, you should be able to pull off some skids. You need to shift the weight, but this is more dangerous if you are inexperienced. Winter is among us, so I'd say find a nice open parking lot and wait for a snowy day :) Just rainy days help a lot too.

I've drifted an E87 before.. Just the throttle doesn't get it sideways, but it's definitely possible. U need a lil speed and just get the car out of balance by flicking the wheel to the opposite side right before u initiate. Handbrake helps too (if ur car has a manual one).

Having said this, it is not easy to get it sideways, but also harder to control it.. easing back the countersteer sometimes doesn't do shit, and sometimes just whips ur back end out unexpectedly far. It's more dangerous, but u will gain skills. Just be careful, don't try anything near obstacles or other traffic/ppl.