HSD Coilovers : Need confirmation

Thread in 'Driftworks Products & Enquiries' started by mint, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mint

mint touch my fruit

As per the phone call Bon, had the rears off and got them 'un stuck' - Un wound the cup and the collars and cleaned them all up etc, then went to put them back together.

Am I right on thinking if the cup screws all the way up the threads thats as low as I can make the coilover? If so then these really dont go as low as the Silvia ones did.

Hopefully im doing something wrong here as if not i'll need to take my archs off and refit about an inch lower as the car dosnt seem low to me?

I'll wait to hear back. Also, can you supply replacement bushings for the bottom of the cup where it bolts into the wishbone?

Cheers

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

No one? I checked the dampness last night and the rears are on hard, and the fronts 2 off soft.
    If i move the locking collar below the spring up thus reducing the spring play wud this make the coilover stiffer or lower? It shoulds obvious to me it wont because it is not reducing the over all length of the shock its self.

Will it not go lower than this?

[​IMG]

3. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

You must be doing something wrong, we fitted some to Jays car and it was on-the-floor low. If the damper is all the way into the bottom mount, you must have loads of preload, how much do you have?

Do you need it lower?

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

Thanks Kam, Reason being is Im attending JAE in a few weeks time and planned to drop it lower for the show; since its motorway cruising all the way down and back, and a static show so I dont need it to be functional since my drift day is before hand.

Yeah i was typing that on my phone, christ I didnt even understand me. ;) I think I know what you mean .. Iv made a paint pic (as im in work just now)

[​IMG]

What I was meaning was, the threaded part (Grey in pic) has been wound all the way into the cup. So my thinking was, I cant reduce the length of the over all shock now.

However do you mean, If i were to 'raise' the COLLAR3 up to reduce the spring then it would go lower?

Sorry to sound like a 'tard man, Trying to get my neck around this. Thanks for your help bro.

Edit:
    Heres a pic off the phone when me and the mrs were cleaning them up - There is a 1" gap in the collars where the thread is exposed.

[​IMG]

#4 mint, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

chrikey mint, if you've wound the cup all the way up its got to be mega low, i dropped my mk2 100mm and i still had about 20mm left in that i could lower it and it was a complete twat to drive and scrapped EVERYWHERE, chassis rails were about 7cm from the floor !!!!

however the meisters on my mk1 dont go anywhere near as low on the front as the hsd's, the shock is wound down all the way and it was only about 60mm lower so i've just wound the spring down more, it now has no preload at all and flaps about when the cars jacked up but seats itself fine again when i let the car back down, you could just do the same with the hsd's, so just wind all 3 collars all the way down, but seriously i dont think it would be drivable if you did that with hsd's.

#5 Robbs, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

Don't forget to put the preload back on come MOT time, or you'll fail ;)

7. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

not if the spring reseats its self perfectly when lowered back down it doesn't :no:, well so i've heard anyway :confused: :wack:

mint to lower them as much as you possibilly can then do this

[​IMG]

although im certain they'll bottom out all the time if you do that, mine on my mk2 had about a 15mm gap between the collars on the front and more on the back and they'd bottom out occasionally

it was this low

[​IMG]

8. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

They jack cars up for MOTs. If they jack it up and the spring falls out of the cups, it'll fail. Been there with coilovers ;)

9. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

10. mint

mint touch my fruit

wow your sill sits way lower than mine.... like alot! Wonder if the tyres then thats not helping me.

The cup is wound all the way up, so i cant turn it anymore, i'll put all the 3 collars together on friday and see if that drops it some more.

Thanks man.

11. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

yeah it was on 195/45/15's, was a absolute twat to drive on anything even remotely bumpy so i made a compromise and changed to 195/50's and raised it 5mm on the rear and it made all the difference to drivability, so yeah i'd be inclined to agree its probably your tyres, they're a fairly high profile aint they ?

12. mint

mint touch my fruit

60's man, hmm.. iv just bought more 60's though. Bugger.

13. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

well taking a guess that you're running 185/60/14

your tyre diameter is 21mm more than a 195/45/15

14. mint

mint touch my fruit

yup thats the size robb, yeh man i guess this is my failure then.... bugger.

Ok well no issues, Im going down a profile on the fronts on friday simply because i couldnt find any good tyres that i was happy with. We;ll see how that sits, probally shit and like a fucking drag car.

bah.

15. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

16. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

Your tester was a meanie then, if it re settles into the correct place when they take it off the jack its pass & advise :thumbs:

17. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Off topic but:
    The difference in ride height between a 195/45 and a 195/50 is 9.75mm. It's 5% of 195mm

18. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

yeah i know :nod: :confused:

19. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

How much preload do you have? Measure the spring for me?

Still - should be really low as it is. Your car has pretty extreme wheel/bodywork, it could be the arches making it seem higher than it is?

You could take a collar off, and run it right on the bottom mount, but you run the risk of bottoming out and damaging the damper. I'm baffled as to how its so high - can you get me a picture of the floorpan? So i can see how low it is in relation to the floor?

20. mint

mint touch my fruit

Yup sure dude :) I'll get on it now.. waiting for a freezer to turn up so got bugger all going on just now lol.