Hudson's street/drift PS13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Hudson., Apr 27, 2010.

1. Andy P

Andy P Member

1000th reply. Good work dude

2. Marg

Marg Member

wicked car - going to message you on face book ref your front end

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gibbo s14

gibbo s14 the yarco

any up dates on this ????????

4. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Not much to report really! I've been rubbish updating this but there's not been that much happening. I've lost a bit of love for the whole thing, but will be drifting again soon so it'll hopefully pick up again!

After Finalboss, I thought id have a go at the final round of the Driftcup series at Lydden Hill. Before then i'd made some alterations on the steering side of things:

Re-located steering rack/modified frame
    WKD straight tie-rod spacers
    Extended S14 FLCA's (25mm)
    Federal 595 RSR front tyres

The extension on the lower arms was way OTT, coupled with the very square fitting tyres, I had to run -11* of camber on the front of the car to clear the arches. This was mental, but i'd left it too late before the final round of Driftcup to swap some parts around, so got it all aligned and headed to Lydden!

I'd never driven in any form of competition before hand, so wasnt sure what to expect. I know how it all works after watching countless videos online, but I really wasnt prepared. The rain was absolutely insane and there was almost a solid river flowing down the track!

[​IMG]

There was an open practice to begin with, I was a bit nervous and for the first time ever, I actually had to aim for certain lines/clips. The car was massive handful to control, barely any traction and very snappy at the front end. Transitioning and the general feel of the car was terrible due to the amount of front camber, the weather definitely didnt help!

[​IMG]

After making some damper and tyre pressure adjustments, I feel I got the car to behave a bit more predictably. But by that point i was so frustrated with my driving, spins, weak transitions etc that I was in a bit of a mess. By the time qualifying came, i'd tried to focus on what I was doing. The first of the 3 qualifying runs resulted in a spin, as did the second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to make it stick on the final qualifying run and put a score down, which was a relief, but unfortunately I missed out on making the qualifying top 16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's totally fair I didnt qualify, i was terrible and to be honest I'm glad I didnt scrape through. My driving was nowhere near consistent enough to take part in any of the top 16 battles. I have barely any experience of tandems or very close driving, so i think qualifying and battles would have ended in tears! Still, some of the rest of my crew made the cut and carried on into the battles so that was great fun to watch!

[​IMG]

Even though on my part it went pretty terribly, it was still worth having a go! After our qualifying the track dried and the sun came out, which is typical, I think id have driven a lot better in the dry. But seeing as i didnt meet the grade in the wet i didnt deserve to!

[​IMG]

Since then a few tweaks have been made over winter, at a VERY leisurely pace. First off was some tamer LCA's, this time with 20mm extension. Along with some adjustable lock-stops. Next on the agenda was the rear traction (or lack of). My friend Stu did a great and neat job of tubbing the rear arches in preparation for some 30mm Origin overfenders i have ready to go on.

[​IMG]

I picked up a DMAX Type-3 bodykit along with some Origin +40mm front wings. Its a bit of a major decision for me as I've always loved the simple OEM+ look my car has always had. I just fancied a change, not to mention with the power increase and the need for more traction, the standard quarter panels just couldnt house anything tyre and geometry wise to do the job. So with the requirement of overfenders I felt the need to beef up the rest of the aero.

As the car stands today 90% of the kit and fenders are in place, unfortunately I had to let go of the Advans as 17's dont really suit the new aero. Again another really tough decision, they were without a doubt my favourite wheels and i'll likely never get to own them again! But im pretty excited when the next set of wheels arrive after this weekend, should be cool!

[​IMG]

Will update wit more pics soon!

#1004 Hudson., Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  5. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

fuck yeah. looking forward to being out on track with this man.

6. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Yeah. Buddy.

7. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Ahh Bro!! It looked so spot on thought!! One of the few cars I actually like in UK drifting to be fair dude. But needs must squire. I'm sure every PS in the country is getting that kit fitted to it ha ha. You competing this year dude?

8. mindgame007

mindgame007 Member

cars looking good
    seen as your goin the dmax rout dont spose that factory bumper is going up for sale is it?
    drop me a pm if so
    cheers
    Al

9. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Yeahhh it looked good, its a bit different for me, having owned the car for 5 years looking like that! Change is always good.

Of course i care about how it looks, but just having fun driving is whats really important to me now.

Afraid the stock aero was sold before I picked up the new kit!

Over the past few days i've been doing bits on the car, my new wheels arrived on friday and i couldnt wait to throw them on and see. My friend Billy had these on his SR32 and im pleased i could make use of them after that car was broken.

Work Emotion XT7
    17x9+17 (235/40 Nankang)
    18x9.5+12 (265/35 Nankang)

[​IMG]

I wasnt sure about stagger before, feeling pretty certain that the same size wheels front and rear always look better. But in reality and more so in the flesh than pictures, these look awesome! I could lower the front a touch and im still debating it, but everything just clears steering wise as-is, along with the D1SL negative rake, i think it'll steer nice! Kinda fed up with rubbing and bending arches, now theyre fibreglass theyd just rub through. Stress free and fun driving is all I need now.

All the aero is now on properly, needs a fair bit of prep work before paint though. I pinched the 30mm overfenders to more like 60+ to house the 265's, its a snug fit! Quite likely to drop to a 245' ish tyre for more clearence and dial the camber out a bit more. The fenders dont fit great, i think if i ever need to replace them i'll get ones wide enough haha.

https://instagram.com/p/1qWeUyQa7u/

(If that link doesnt work, search hudzirra on instagram!)

10. tooley

tooley ドリフトキング

Saw this at Final Boss. Was out with you a few times. Car is awesome good work man!

11. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Thanks James, likewise! Are you going again this year?

Forgot to add before, i felt a change was in order from the Nardi wheel ive had in both my cars for 7 years and got this nice Keys semicone.

[​IMG]

Also booked up for Lydden Hill on the 30th of May, need to start looking for tyres!

12. Joss

Joss Member

Awesome, look forward to seeing this in action [emoji41]

13. tooley

tooley ドリフトキング

Yes mate, Car will be ready before so all good :) Will start building it back up next week.

14. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Mad rush to get the car ready for Lydden Hill on Saturday just passed. Had a few running issues and a bit to tidy up, replacement fuel pump and a road map and the car was ready to go.

[​IMG]

Rear bumper didnt last long!

[​IMG]

Car felt good to drive at the track, a bit cautious out in the first session, in the pro class i was worried about getting in peoples way while i found my feet.

[​IMG]

Then unfortunately on the second session out, had a coming together with Mike Walton. A car span in front of me going through the cut-through, i had to stop off line to let it pull away, meanwhile 10 cars came flying round devils elbow, due to some bad flags I ended up getting shunted. Absolutely no fault to Mike, just very unlucky and unfortunate for both of us :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some big help from friends, we got the car back out on track and ripping again. With a bit of fury from the accident, it helped me cut loose on track a bit and drive a bit harder. It was a lot of fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car was amazing in the end, really felt good to be back getting some seat time and doing some fast drifting. Annoyingly forgot my SD card for my Gopro so got no footage :(. Massive thanks to my friends for helping me on Saturday, and to the photographers for taking some properly cool pictures! Time to put in some work to make the car presentable for the trip to Finalboss Matsuri at Driftland in a few weeks!

Hers's a video the guy Daniel Bridle made from the day, good times!

https://youtu.be/TlhV_4_XnIQ

15. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

Onboard videos? Want to see and hear this baby!

16. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

Awesome as always Rich :thumbs: Bummer about the rear ender :( But I'm sure you'll have it sorted soon

You've almost converted me to liking the new look (squat pictures are ridiculously cool), I'll hold full judgement for once its painted :smash:

17. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Once its painted it should look pretty cool hopefully! :D

I took my gopro but it had no SD card in it, really annoying!

18. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

Any updates on this?

19. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Swapped it for a beemer.

20. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

no he cant off swapped it