I need to replace my E46 steering rack, which one should i get??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jolly F, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jolly F

Jolly F Member

I have a small amount of play in my steering on my E46 325ti Compact and i've had a look at the joints which seem to be a common problem but it is looking like play in the rack itself. I know on the E36 people use a 1.9 Z3 quick rack (i think thats the one). Is this the same for the E46 of is there an equivalent or do i just replace it like for like?

2. suj

suj Member

3. Jolly F

Jolly F Member

Thanks suj, thats really useful...

4. suj

suj Member

No problem, the Z3 one is the quickest, but they are massive premium now (like £200-250), second quickest is the E46 Purple one, and you can get them from £50-60 (just scroll through eBay, just make sure the part numbers align as above) and you are laughing.

5. Jolly F

Jolly F Member

Would i not be better with a refurb jobbie. I'd be non too happy if i get another one with play as it seems a common problem??

I dont fancy a z3 rack for the premium...

6. suj

suj Member

You could yeah, but at £50 a pop, not massively expensive, but I get what you mean, 4-5 mates (add another including myself) have bought them with no bother, if you can get a cheap refurbed one, then you are onto a winner, but most of the time they are massively expensive.

7. Jolly F

Jolly F Member

I have found racks for £115 - £125 refurbished but i think i may just go for a £50 - £60 jobbie that comes with a 3 month warrenty.

I had a look at real oem and teh rack number for my car is 32136755068, looking at your picture that translates (to me) 6 755 068. do you know the difference between the 067 and 068 racks?