I used to visit this site everyday now probably once a month.. Anyone else?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Drifttrader, Dec 16, 2015.

1. GETitSIDEways

GETitSIDEways Mutha Funka

I used to love reading the threads where some idiot was getting flamed to death.

YEP "FOOLS" are rising, bring back the old days...Its sad guys; the knowledge is fading fast, so is the quality of the sport in the UK.
    Social media only captures the bragging element and does not carry the hints tips and user cases that this forum caters for, or in some cases 'used' to cater for.

"F**ck I hate Facebook"

We need to thank the Americans, Japanese and Eastern Europeans for holding the fort whilst we (UK) royally mess it up. :nod:

2. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

I miss the old days, but I just don't have the time to be on forums as much as I used to be.

I guess the kids are posting their stuff on facebook/social media to people they actually know and like, rather than a bunch of faceless wierdos on a forum, and us older fucks dont get the time to abuse each other on here like we us to.

edit: Just seen my join date after posting the above, March 2006 !!!:wack:

3. mint

mint touch my fruit

Only posting to see my join date now..

but yeh, Social media seems to have killed most forums now :S I used to be on like 5/6 forums all the time, but as said iphones dont put up with forums as good as comps :S plus most folk use facebook for EVERYTHING!

Even blogs are the same, not the same updates, content, pics etc, its all on IG or FB before a blog posts made. Which is a shame, as blogs are decent imo. :)

Iv been joined here 9 years... f*ck..

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

This place has died a death to some extent, like most (not all) forums.

It used to be brilliant right right back in the day, literally everyone UK/IRE based (and many from Europe and even USA) who drifted, proper, worth listening to, drifters, were on here. The advice and info was brilliant.

Then all the typical bellends turned up who don't know their ass from their elbow but like to think they do, and started giving total bullshit answers to everything, so you no longer knew if the advice you was giving was total shit from a 15yo kid or not, and slagging everything off despite being correct as they read different on another forum- Not because they've ever done it, or even can drive.

The bellends soon made most the people who were worth listening to fuck off, but it stayed busy, mostly with bellends mind.

But in recent times a lot of people, good and bad, have fucked off and just use Facebook.

As mint says, phones and stuff have killed forums as much as social media has, as forums are a bit shit to look at on phones and stuff, and wank like that taptalk or whatever it's called makes it even worse.

The problem, the fucking MASSIVE problem is, I'm here for answers to my questions, tech info, etc, and that's very fucking hard if not impossible to get on Facebook, as there's not the right groups with the right people in. What I need for that is forums, but people have fucked off the forums.

I end up just asking a few people I know, and have to guess the rest, which is fucking shit.

Magazines were partially killed by forums, now forums have been partially killed by social media. Unfortunately one never fully replaces the other, so it's getting shitter and shitter, just more convenient.

And yeah. I've been here over a decade now.

5. mint

mint touch my fruit

People need to get off social media imo, and bring it back to blogs and forums where we have a little more control over our media. As social media platforms such as Facebook, target information to people. Or filter shit so you cant see it, or your meant to see it. Its all dodge imo, I use IG for snaps but I refuse to get back on FB. Not to mention the sheer money these dudes make, from taking just simple information like your gender, and selling it on to companies who then target you for their products. Dont get that shit with forums.

The trend aswell is that we're going down a mandatory social media life. In 4 years time a thing in China called Sesame Credit is coming into effect. Which is essentially... A credit score for your social media life. If you post pro government shit, you get points. If you post anti government shit, you loose points. If you dont have enough points, they can refuse you visa's, leaving the country to a range of other things.

I dont like using the BBC to reference :( however : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34592186

Vid to explain : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

#25 mint, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  6. Carl419

Carl419 New Member

I've always used the forums for advice rather than the chat threads so I've never noticedthe quality dropping.

7. Stevo309

Stevo309 New Member

I find it hard to see why people have migrated to social media instead of forums and wonder if it's a simple division of time. All the fb car related groups i am linked to are a sea of bullshit comments from haters and people reposting other stuff or 'what do you think of this' type of crap just to get likes. Really any meaningful info or useful knowledge is buried very quickly.

Forums like this are a gold mine of knowledge and we should all do our best to make a contribution. There does seem to be a lot of people viewing still.

8. Drift me Arse

Drift me Arse Member

I only joined the Forum in December 2015 mainly to get advice on builds and offer advice from personal experience on builds.

The problem with this forum is a lot of the posts turn into debates over who thinks they know best and this can also be off putting to people browsing the Forum with the intention of joining it.

I had an arguement with one of the moderators because they were slagging my BMW off for having BILSTEIN stickers on it...they later edited their comment...not good for a reputation point of view

#28 Drift me Arse, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. Nismo

Nismo Hachiroku Master

I've been here 10 years...F*ck, and still have the same car, the 1986 corolla!

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

It was more the fact you was selling 'sponsorship' stickers.

That's far worse for the reputation of drifting than a mod supposedly slagging off your car.

11. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

Fuck me I joined in 2005!!?! Really... must have been during my drift groupy stages. This forum was helpful for seeing drift builds and getting great media, I've always found tech knowledge was best to get on the marque's club/forum (SXOC for example).

Still there is a chunk of information on here, just a shame a large portion of the OG users have moved on due to either personal circumstances or they can't stand what "Drifting" has become.

12. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

where was this? are you referring to this thread: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/eba...nsorship-drift-package-supplied-bilstein.html

In which i asked you a question? Which by the way you still haven't answered? Is that slagging off? Where is this argument you speak of as i must of missed it? Please do reply as very interested to know how you have managed to get sponsorship by Bilstein if you dont actually compete in a drift series?

Occasionally when writing posts, myself or anyone else may make a spelling mistake or think of a better way to word something that has been written and then go and change it. That is why it says edited below. Like this post

#32 initial_j, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. MazdaNoob

MazdaNoob New Member

I'm relatively new to the forum but have been reading it for quite a while before joining. Think there is some great info on here but as others have said, it's not as busy and active as I expected it to be.

It's a shame because first thing I do if I am looking to have a question answered is Google the question. 9 times out of 10 a driftworks thread pops up. However, with everything moving to social media, the majority of the content on there isn't indexed in Google so won't show up in searches.

Eventually will get to the point where a lot of the advice appearing in Google will be from years old threads on here. A lot will still give the answers and value but as time goes by it may be that the info just won't be available for people, which is a shame.

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yep. Honestly, the last 20+ drifty related answers I've needed I've ended up Googling, and every time the answer comes from here from a few years ago etc.

Blogs/Facebook/whatever is useless for decent tech stuff, Forums are the only real way for that, but they're dying, and the knowledge will go with it.

15. speedykonzales

I started to like this forum cause of two things. Number 1: the awesome cars and number 2: the people. Was fun to see pictures of drunk blokes and the stories, then the Show us your WAGS topic, then the gay jokes. I specially remember the one where one guy was looking for fake tan and somebody suggested that when he pulls out the next time from his BF ass, he then wipes it on his face. This made me laugh a lot. The forum was like a fellowship. I may not be good at words.

#35 speedykonzales, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  16. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

I only ever browse when in work really or if I have stuff for sale I will try and come on at points over the weekends but I no longer have a car/project for the first time since passing my test 10 years ago.

Not a long lasting member but was browsing without a membership for alot longer than I can remember.

Still end up trawling for sale threads even though I have no intention of buying anything lol mostly look through peoples builds or look for some banter if theres any going on but I agree on the technical side there are some hidden gems and agree with Stav I use google alot lately but still brings you back here anyway.

17. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

I haven't been on much, more due to time, after starting full on competition drifting in 2012/13I've used the forum alot less just due to lack of time, my build thread for my ps was up to date to the day, and really enjoyable to do, but now I'm In a rush to do everything, even though now the stuff I'm doing is way more advanced and interesting, there is no way I have time to keep the build thread up to date and check what other people have been up to! Which is a shame but alot of the people I looked up to around 2006/2010 have moved on or in a similar position. Most people starting up for coilovers and a intercooler and some generic chipped ecu... I'm just not interested by that. If I'm looking for drift inspiration I'm looking.toeards Japan or formula d and online mags like wreaked, or the drivers/builders indervidual social media.

18. Johny_k

Johny_k Member

I don't use social media at all so maybe the reason it appeared to me that drifting is fading out is because the driftworks forum, or forums in general have become very quiet and lack new "quality" content. Its true that almost everything is posted on facebook as when friends of mine send me a link to parts or cars for sale their normally found on facebook, so unless your friends with that bloke you wont ever know about it, it all starts to make sense when you look at social media mainly facebook taking over everything literally.

19. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Problem back in the day was we were all mates and it was like a digital social club

Then it got cool and a flood of tools kinda made it suck

Then they made Jack a mod, which really sucked ball :D

So no one came back

The End !! :D :D :D

20. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

christ are you still alive?