Importing from Japan to UK

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Rajzed, Jul 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rajzed

Rajzed Member

Hi guys,

I want to purchase from Japan but just wanted to clarify the importing to UK process.

Has anyone done it recently?

What costs are involved?

My understanding is:
    - Cost of car
    - Shipping and insurance - up to £1000
    - 10% (of car value) import duty
    - 20% (of car value) tax
    - £250 registering to UK
    - £50 MOT and whatver MOT flags up
    - Normal car insurance to drive away

Am I right? Anyone shed some light?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
    Raj

2. OtakuHunter

OtakuHunter JZXBOSS

Almost there.
    You'll pay tax on both car and shipping costs.
    The car needs insurance for you to register it.
    Registration is around 55 quid, you'll also have to purchase road tax when you register the car.
    Also Ro-Ro shipping might cost more than 1k

3. Rajzed

Rajzed Member

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

I thought registration was £250 - not £50. Having said that, this person said he got 6 months road tax included with £250, so price is the same really.

Have you ever done the UK registration yourself? Is it difficult?

4. OtakuHunter

OtakuHunter JZXBOSS

Yeah imported a car myself in feb. it is pretty straight forward, just make sure all your paperwork is correct.

5. mint

mint touch my fruit

I did this last year - Worked out to cost me a fortune to get the car out the docks! More than £1000 lol! Plus transport to garage for MOT, plus number plates, plus agent fee's as I needed an agent to do the paperwork..

It was a mega faf and took ages.

- - - Updated - - -

I did this last year - Worked out to cost me a fortune to get the car out the docks! More than £1000 lol! Plus transport to garage for MOT, plus number plates, plus agent fee's as I needed an agent to do the paperwork..

It was a mega faf and took ages.

6. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

Clearing a car off the docs should be very straight forward and hassle free if your paper work is in order, costs will include taxes vat and in some cases freight if not prepaid, there will also be a customs agent to pay and using a customs agent facilitates the clearing of the car and eliminates the "Faffing Around".

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

Depending on which company you use - The ones I used were hopeless, infact they delayed things by being slack and not sorting out the paperwork which resulting in the delay of release.

The paperwork was bogus aswell as my real name wasnt present and because of that they could not release the car to me.

8. RXsteve

RXsteve Member

Buy through Japanese used cars, when I did my 34 all the documents were sent through, they use kleerfrieght was straight forward can't imagine it being any more difficult a year or so on! Plus they have a fairly accurate calculator on their website which lets you know the landed cost ;)

9. mpls24

mpls24 Member

I agree. Use japanese used cars and kleerfreight and it will be smooth sailing

10. Rajzed

Rajzed Member

Awesome - thanks guys. Was looking at japanese used cars and must say that I have heard only good things.

11. Cades

Cades Member

Hate to bump an old thread,saves making a new one.

Anyone have any knowledge of cars being robbed of parts at the docks? Any ways to avoid it happening or lower the risk?

12. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Get nice stuff taken from the interior and sent separately. If it's a real fancy car and you are paranoid then get it containered.

13. mpls24

mpls24 Member

Get there to pick it up quickly

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Sent separately, hidden VERY well, container, or takes your chances are your options.

I've imported two cars.
    First car had a few minor things robbed (picked up the day it was available for release at docks) and a smashed front bumper from them getting it off the boat. Know people who've had a LOT more taken though.
    Second car I had put in a container, was worth the effort considering what could've went missing.

You can be there on the day of release and it's still been at the docks for a few days.
    And as a lot of stuff is robbed on the boat, that's even less of a good idea.

15. RyanH

RyanH Lacks skills

Imported 2 cars through powervehicles, everything turned up as described. Gauges etc were hidden before shipping though.

16. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

Imported a few cars into Dublin an the most common thing stole was gearknobs but I did get a pair of blue sti v-limited front seats stole out of my type R a few years ago..

17. mint

mint touch my fruit

Yeah same, Andy hit my turbo timer and boost controller under my dash for export. It took me several months to actually realise that :p lol. Iv been a few times to the docks to pick up cars, I always bring a bottle of water, some oil, a gearknob and a set of jump leads :p

18. _Drifter

_Drifter New Member

Container is the best way to go.

19. Jites

Jites Active Member

good info.

Looking to import my next car once funds allow to get something I really want.

On average what are the lead times from car purchase to arrive at a uk port? Im guessing about 2-3 months or am I way off?

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

My FC was roughly 2 months.

Can't remember on the JZX81, but I think a bit less, 1.5months maybe, as the FC was longer at sea as they was taking a longer than usual route to avoid pirates or some shit. Not sure if they still take the slightly longer route or not.