Importing, is there any point?!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by KingRP, May 19, 2017.

1. KingRP

KingRP New Member

It's been bugging me for a while now... importing used to. E a great way of getting good cars for reasonable prices... now it seems like importing an S14 or s13 is stupidly expensive bar a few companies. But can anyone shed any light on why you would import a car rather than just buy it here?

First thread btw!

2. rcrozier

rcrozier New Member

Any drifty nissan is becoming more expensive anywhere in the world because of drift tax. Fresh imports *tend* to have less rust so you would be less likely to buy one full of isopon compared to one already landed a few years. The pound is also way down on the yen since brexit so that doesn't help prices

3. jeffries

jeffries Member

Wouldn't even call it drift tax. What's caused it is all the cars smashed up by drifters here and in Japan and rust issues. making them lower supply but a massive demand. Plus America can now import import some models such as the ps13. Just look at the prices of r32s, supras and rx7s. They have tripled in value over the last few years. The sbody hasn't taken off as quickly but it will only climb in value. Also as stated the exchange rate makes it more costly to buy now aswell

4. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

its nothing to do with "drift tax"
    its the fact the exchange rate for the pound is pathetic
    also supply and demand will mean things go up, as most uk nissans are rotten now and getting stripped
    r32's prices have doubled due to the fact americans can now import them due to classic car regulations
    so the godzilla r32 that was banned in the usa is now legal, hence become expencive and hard to find

5. 5M0K3

5M0K3 New Member

EXACTLY!

6. nooden

nooden New Member

Just keep checking till a bargain comes up! I bought a very clean zenki s14 for around 5k landed mot'd etc, didn't go through auctions but though a dealer. You can get a uk s body for the same/less but it's worth it for how clean it is! i've seen the prices go up since last year when I bought mine so now is the time!