Induction kit or panel filter?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by burnslide, Mar 5, 2009.

1. burnslide

burnslide New Member

I Have a 318is and have bought an inuction kit for it from ebay (cone style). I have not fitted it yet but read in a magazine yesterday that an induction kit will lose you 8-10lbs of torque! And thay recommend getting a sports panel filter and drilling the air box for more noise?

I'm going to chip mine and get a full exhaust for it. Has anyone had any good results from an induction kit or a panel filter?

2. nizmo

nizmo New Member

I wondered this, different car i know but i just put a pannel filter in the stock airbox on my s14, my reasoning was that cold air burns better that hot so y would you want to draw hot air in from under the bonnet especialy if your going sideways and dont get a good airflow, having said that alot of people seem to use cone type filters so maybe im wrong,
    im sure someone here will correct me.

3. Robert

Robert Member

that is a good point nizmo but when i got my cone filter i also added 2 cold air feeds from the bumper that are directed to the air filter :thumbs:

4. Vova

Vova Member

Often, cheap aftermarket filters and even exhausts, will LOWER..yes LOWER your power. Talked about it today with a guy who does chips and dyno...

5. Robert

Robert Member

yes thats true as well ... K&N are some of the worst ... as soon as the oil on the filter dryes the filter is absolutely uselless...