is a 1.6 bmw driftable?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by mike mould, Jun 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mike mould

mike mould New Member

just wondering if a 1991 1.6 bmw 316i Lux is driftable. it will be striped and have a set of coilies on it.... is the 1.6 engine going to be powerful enough? if not what needs to be done? im limited to a 1.6 due to the amount of money insurance companies want. i am willing to put a 1.8 in it but really dont want to unless there is no other way. please help :)

2. Will.

Will. Come at me bro

3. mike mould

mike mould New Member

sweeeet.. is there any other modifications that dont cost alot that you would recommend me to do?

4. Paddy drifter

Paddy drifter Member

for a start weld the diff 2 is it gonna be a road/drift car or a dedicated drifter
    a cone filter and a free flowing exhaust anyway

5. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Technically yes, but it's going to be frigging hard work.

Strip it as much as you can, quite literally anything and everything - if it can go, do so. And learn to REALLLLLY abuse that clutch.

Btw - surely stripping your car and coilovers = modifications, thus raising your insurance premium, thus you'd end up with basically the same premium as a 1.8?
    And a 318iS is classed as the same as 318.

Ps. if you don't declare your mods, you might as well not be insured in the case of an accident, in which case, you either declare your mods to start with, or don't even get insured - it's the same thing, and with the latter you don't pay insurance, thus you have more money.

NOT that I condone that, I'm merely pointing these things out. I always insure my mods.

6. wst

wst Member

I think you can technically get away with removing seats and stuff, as long as the seats are designed to be removed, like if you wanted to put some bikes or a shed in the boot and didn't have enough space by leaving the seats in.

7. mike mould

mike mould New Member

i see where your coming from but i would be paying £4,000 as it is and they probably wont insure me if i tell them about the mods. its pretty shit being 18 and having to drive round in polo's and 106's. they bore me shitless thats why im willing to pay £4,000 to have something a little decent and learn to drift.

8. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

If you want a cheap BMW to play with, I have a e36 316 Compact for sale soon, £200 no tax or test.

9. wst

wst Member

Right. The whole point of insurance is for when shit hits the fan. If you tell them about the mods, they might insure you. It'll be rape but they'll insure you. You don't tell them about the mods, then if you cause a single penny of damage then you're fucked, and you will lose your license (6 points at least for no insurance, and you're still within your first 2 years after passing the L-test, so that'd be your license gone) etc etc. Not declaring mods to your insurers is only a good idea if you live in the perfect world with empty roads, no surprises, and you're a perfect driver (protip: Not ever happening in this lifetime with any of those 3 points.)

So basically, not declaring mods is the same as driving uninsured (though that sounds fucking stupid, now I think about it, the system is a bit broken there...), only the cops won't spot you until after you need the insurance, but it's a bit late by then! And then you'll lose your license, need to retake the test, explain to the insurers that you lost your license (which will raise your insurance for future years...) and so on. Not to mention the wallet rape you'll be getting if you somehow find the only ferrari in the county to smash up and cause £100k of damage to. You get the idea by now?

Insurance sucks but just... live with it. Get a shitbox and trailer the decent car if you have to. Get a Volvo 340 maybe, they're not ridiculous to insure and the thousands of threads here about them say that the 1.7 isn't totally shit for what it is. Do some advanced driving courses while you're still young enough to learn quickly, learn to actually drive, not the L-test crap, and maybe you'll stave off having to call the insurers going "Trees are really solid aren't they?" for a few more years, saving a load of wallet rape in the long term.

tl;dr: Insurance fraud looks like a good idea until you crash, and then you have no car and no license, which is even worse than paying for insurance...

#9 wst, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  10. Big_jim

Big_jim Member

Insurance wont be much different from a 316 to a 318..

11. Papercutout

Basically I was getting at what wst said.

Do it properly, or don't do it.

If it means a cheapo, crappy small engined FWD for a while, most people on DW had to deal with the same. Heck, I drove a Daewoo Matiz for a year... And then a 1968 beetle for the year after that. Now THAT is a cheap car to insure, and the scene is huge.

12. mike mould

mike mould New Member

Thanks for the offer but you guys have put it to me straight and it is probably best to stay with my polo :(

#12 mike mould, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  13. Paddy drifter

Paddy drifter Member

a 1.6 is only really driftable if its made a full on drift car so it cant be a road car im buildin an underpowered drift car 2 its a 318is and its a dedicated drifter never see the road again only track its the best way

14. `Dan`

`Dan` Member

4K a year for a 1.6 BMW? Fuck that!

I'm 19, No years NCB and ive had a bump.

Get a Volvo 340.

I've got a 1.7 Volvo 340 And my insurance is 1200, classic car insurance for the win!

And yes they do slide :)

15. Kay!

Kay! Guest

In the wet yes, in the dry, it'll be a bitch

Like Dan said above go for a volvo 340

16. Paster

Paster ....

Off topic but how fucking awesome are Matiz's :wack:

Drove my ex's HARD for 3 years, it never missed a beat haha
    800cc and used to spank 1.4 Corsa's, there proper jokes once your used to how shit they are

Also yea, you can drift a 1.6 it just might be a bit tougher to learn. Some (inc me) might say thats better though... Makes you try harder :)

17. Big'n'Blown

Big'n'Blown New Member

Set of the crappiest budget tyres on the back helps with loosing traction, may be helpful with a lack of horses...

And Weld that diff up!

18. Papercutout

Paster - haha, yeah! It was great fun, as soon as it had some sticky front tyres it could take immense amounts of abuse!

As for trying harder - a 1.8 is trying damn hard, the 1.6 is just a little too far, it's practically not worth it.

19. Super Si

Super Si New Member

Just a thought, A modified car costs more to insure than a standard one, maybe getting a bigger engine with less mods might be the way to go. I know it sounds boring, just worth bearing in mind

20. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

You need banning for recommending anyone buy a fucking beetle!