Joe’s Onevia – BDC – Street Legal – Carloan4u.co.uk

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Joe-sef, Feb 3, 2009.

1. chrisS14

chrisS14 Member

2. tbtstt

tbtstt Member

Car looked great at Lydden in August...

[​IMG]

...look forward to reading the write up! :thumbs:

3. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

wow awesome photo dude! Im up to 8,351 words, just up to round 5 of BDC now so not to far to go, then i just have to insert like 100 pictures edit and format :/ hopefully get some done over the weekend!

4. xCalluumm

xCalluumm Member

5. h_rose4

h_rose4 Member

hurry up joe!!

6. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

Up to 9000 still end of knock hill, driftland, and matsuri to finish :(

7. Ross.

Ross. Active Member

Tbtstt that picture is wild mate, really nice!!!!!

Joe HURRY!

8. h_rose4

h_rose4 Member

I'm in it too... sick photo!!

9. tbtstt

tbtstt Member

Cheers! :)

How is the write up doing? ;)

10. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

I'm working on the car right now, if I can get what needs to be done on it sharpish ill at least get part one of the write up online!

11. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Fuck the car, wheres the update.

12. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

So I know that I have been totally rubbish at my build thread, I do feel like I have let myself down a bit because its such a journey so I'm going to carry on as I was and cover the last few months best I can. It's been insane and hopefully worth the wait.

With the disaster that was round one out the way I set to work strait away on the car, I totally re checked everything to do with the steering lock, and lock stops and clearance. I thought I had done...

still using the car on the road i decided to use it quite a bit to test out the new set up, a trip to the pub to drown the sorrows from round.

[​IMG]

Happy it was working ok I decided to blast it up to Buxton and give it a proper test, Alex came up to give some moral support

[​IMG]

Chris my mate from home and who had helped me so much on my car over the years was there in his wide body s 13 was stocked about going out on track with him.

We went out and did some skids the car felt quite good really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some things never change about drifting!

[​IMG]

However about 20 seconds after this photo was take. His turbo exploded - and made basically the worst sound I have ever heard from an engine!

[​IMG]

infact here is a link to the vid of it actually happening

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151636969987526&set=t.533950250&type=3&theater

i feel sorry for him everytime he gets the car to the track in the last few months something has broke!

[​IMG]

I carried on, me and Ali g of ej9 fame

[​IMG]

in shot gun decided to test out he extents of the lock we were throwing it crazy backwards.... and having some drastic fun. I got the infield testing out the locks full potential after a few runs of this I came down the strait to find... No brakes.. Which in a steel lined banger race track made for a interesting few seconds!!!!! Turns out I hadn't relocated the brake line bracket when I moved to the modified hub. Luckily we managed to source a replacement not far from the track, which we could get down for the Sunday so I can make it home. Which ment I was stuck in Manchester for the night. So I borrowed some of ali's dads clothes and one of his t shirts and we hit the town!! With some of his house mates...

[​IMG]

Next day I fixed the car up and drove home,

[​IMG]

then relocated the brackets. The brackets the next day.

Before that I had to do some more modifications to the car, I wanted to add some adjustable lock stops to wind back on the lock rubbing issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So fitted them – Hywel came over and helped me do some tight grinding work, got them set up and tested it in much more detail then before round 1. The lock stops deffo stopped the lock way clear (probably to much) but I just wanted to be 100% sure that they were safe/not rubbing at all so I could get some decent seat time. Also some adjustment with the hammer was needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was Jap Fest, I really relieved that I went to buxton and found out the brake issue, didn’t really want that happening at castle combe! It’s a track I have never been to, and at the beginning of the day I was really not sure about what to make of the car, the only time I had driven it was round 1 disaster and a few hours at buxton, now im going on probably the fastest track I have never been to.

How i have to get the car otu of this garage built for a mini

[​IMG]

Heres some packing pics, still driving the car there with all the tyres and stuff rammed in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some messing about on the way down and set up.

Then the 5-0 turned up

[​IMG]

#752 Joe-sef, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

With the car issues in the front of my mind, this resulted in a really Tame morning session. I also had a set of Remoulds on, and they were terrible, They were like 50 side wall, the grip was all over and the balance of the car was actually shocking, I didn’t know if it was the new car set up, with the high rear balance, or the new steering, or the tyres or what. So I made the most of it just drifting the main section and back corners, then I came in after the first session, Changed tyres did some corporate greeting style had some photos and generally was really alkward. I think at this stage matt was in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] place in the top speed drift with mike gaynor and wayne keeber (iirc). So we were stocked about that. However on the first corner of the first lap of the first session alex blew his box. Which was abit weak rubbish.

The second session wow. Change of tyres the car was a totally different car. Either the Grip given was totally different to the change in ride highet changed the balance, Im not really sure what was going on but all I knew was the car felt great, - But I still had no confidence in the front or when transitioning or anything really.

[​IMG]

So I just spent the session drifting the track as much as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get as much feel for the car with the new set up. I was struggling to Even keep up with Matt in the 300 its so fast mid drift – and I was Griping it a couple of times (cool down). Either way his entry speeds where insane. The car on a whole felt good (the change in set up as made the car much more nervous about what tyres are on the back (more on this later)) so I was generally happy and we came in for our final break.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The third session was cut short, I was about 10 car lengths behind Matt, going into the blind left, as I began to transition I could see all 4 wheels locked on matts car mid transition. I knew it was going wrong, I slowed down as he nailed into the wall – I slowed down enough to make sure there was no fire and he was ok. Then came around to the red flags and headed back to the pits to let the team know what had happened (even tho most of them were stood right where he crashed) so just prepped the pits for the arrival of matts broke car)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon further inspection his car didn’t look to bad – just a little sad. It wouldn’t start but not to much damage, Then it was presentation time and matt took 1[SUP]st[/SUP] place dispite his crash which was the silver lining I guess but I think it took the full prize money to fix the car in the end!

[​IMG]

I was heading over to Matts for the Sunday to have my roll cage modified, so everyone gave matt a hand getting the car on the trailer then we headed over to his that night. The next morning we switched out the AFM on his car which to a whack and it started – Lovely. So we headed to his work to get my rollcage modified as it didn’t met the BDC regs (which I had checked around Christmas time in the off season alas the changes were added after apparently) anyways got the bars weled in, then it was time to head home. Massive thanks to matt for this!

[​IMG]

When i got home i cleaned and painted it up right away.

[​IMG]

14. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

So before the next round i had a bit of time to chill out, i went on a “holiday” to france, in a wet caravan... and it was raining the whole time... but i saw a few cool cars and views....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This next photo... maybe leave room for hookers???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a “relaxing” holiday.....next up was bdc round 2 pembrey, South Wales, Another new track for me. Before we set off I just wanted to check the Compression of the Engine, Did so and it seemed ok High 10’s and a little lower on the rear one. Which is exactly the same as it has been since I brought the car 5 years ago! By this time tho my little T25g (yes the same original turbo, on the original solid lines) and everything was smoking on idle like crazy, I just hoped it would hold out for this round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drive down was though the mountains of north Wales then down the coast then though south wales and down to the coast again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The drive down was fantastic the weather was amazing, Air con was on and I cruised down some wonderful roads I had not been on for years.

Arrived late after leaving just after work, helped set up the camp and get settled for the night in Camp CL4U! the team felt good we have had a fantastic start to the year, and we hoped to continue this at round 2.

[​IMG]

#754 Joe-sef, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  15. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

team set up looked great

[​IMG]

The track looked gnarly, totally not what I needed a Mega slow first corner hairpin then building up speed as we go though some transitions then a big left hander.

[​IMG]

Weather was unreal not even a cloud in the sky, Car felt ok. But the seat time was poor, With like 55 drivers and a top 32 was abit tricky. Luckly this was the only time this season where I felt it was really tight on seat time.

[​IMG]

I struggled with the car really, im still having some funny issue where when I clutch kick with not a lot of weight transfer either the clutch slips or the diff slips, its really weird, and coming out of the hairpin into the transition this was happening a lot, ruinng runs as you needed to carry so much speed through the track to even have a chance of making it around the last corner. Basically the same issues persisted though the morning practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Matt blew his steering rack. And alex crashed both of them now with broke steering, Matt sat out a session – after watchin for a bit he quickly set to work draining the rack to run with no Powersteering – on a 300zx I think that’s brave! So we all headed into qualifying all not on best performace at all cars with issues. And I was struggling so much to link the right hander into the left – the car just ran out of power and gripped inbetween the corners. I think I qualified about 20’th, Matt qualified in both Semi pro and Pro with no powersteering and Alex qualified 33rd with a car that only turned one way basically.

While waiting in the que i had a great message

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the night time it was my birthday and the team got me a massive cake and mega cheered me up!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1003888_10152925000315494_1269170590_n.jpg
    The following day was the battles, I was up agaist a local guy is a dewalt R33 – He was local and knew the track well, but it was his first BDC event, during the battles I was appauling both times I struggled with the transition the car doing the funny drivetrain slip it was really shit, however the guy span behind me mid transition maybe because I was alittle offline – not really to sure but by some luck I was through to top 16,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent the next 3 hours trying to find the source of the problem with the slipping I adjusted the clutch peddle which made the car much nicer to drive and it seemed to help alittle, even if it did take some getting used to a totally different bite point.
    Then I was up against nick stathem in the white R33, Had a good battle with him but basically I straitened before the last corner where the car was running out of Grunt all weekend can bee seen in video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

And I was out – nick went on to win the round which was fair, he was driving great – and to go out to the round winner always makes it seem a bit better.

If you skip to about 5 mins in we are the first battle – Was awesome to see myself on national/international TV for the first time!

I cant remember but I think matt made top 8 struggling with no Powersteering,

And Alex managed to get promoted to 32’nd after Dylan pulled out. He somehow due to a few technical calls and some awesome driving battling against a car with no left lock at all. He managed to win the Pro class!

Once again we were on the podium for the team event – totally awesome result This weekend felt like a great team effort all with issues we kind of slogged a good result out of a shit situation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to pack up the Camp and head back to Wales, I was happy with the result – first battle was rubbish, but I doubt I could have done any more against nick. Just out driven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

Great write up dude really enjoyed that shame about the mishaps but you all did great keep it up!

18. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Good write up, keep it up :)

19. h_rose4

h_rose4 Member

Don't think he is anywhere near finished yet...... lol

20. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

nah i got loads more to put up, uploading the photos and slotting them in takes ages about 2/3 hours just to do the above (granted while watching tv) should be able to get alittle more done soonish! bit of a pain as im doing the car right now, its tempting to just jump the gun but if i do that ill never fill in the gaps!