Just a few beginner questions

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DriftSultan, Sep 1, 2018.

1. DriftSultan

DriftSultan New Member

Hey everyone,
    Im new to this forum and basicly to drifting so please don’t be rough with me.
    I am planning to get into drifting on a proper track with a proper car. My first thought was a s13/14 with an sr20dett. Yet im wondering how you guys are handling the maintenance. I am trying to figure out everything before i even dare to touch a car. Well, long story short, how many times are you changing the headgasket, or when do you know you have to change it BEFORE your engine is ruined. These are just few of many questions i have and i hope some of you can help me to get my mind a little clear. Thanks in advance.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Not many beginner posts focus on maintenance, but well done

Almost all the stories you hear about people having to change the headgasket on an SR20 are because they are either a) neglecting maintenance, or b) pushing the engine hard or c) have bought a car that has been neglected

Maintenance can be split into two areas: routine and modifications. Routine maintenance is about oil changes (engine, gearbox, diff), fluid changes (power steering, clutch, brake) and wear items (water pump, bushes, bearings, joints, brake pads, clutch, handbrake shoes). Engine oil and gearbox oil can be classified in a preventative routine maintenance, and should be changed much more regularly. The others should just be regularly monitored for premature wear and performed if needed.

Maintenance modifications are about improving the engines ability to take the increased punishment of drifting. These are best done in a preventative approach as opposed to waiting until an issue arises. Larger, aluminium radiators are first and foremost. Next are external oil coolers.

Keeping an eye on the vital fluids is the next stage. The reason you see so many gauges on drift cars isn't (mainly) for show, it's keeping an eye on the engines vital signs. Water temperature and oil pressure are the most important, with oil temperature slightly less important. A critical part of this is getting gauges with warning lights built in. This helps catch issues before they cause things like headgasket failure or oil starvation, or shows you issues that need to be addressed.

So in summary: change engine and gearbox oil more often, regularly check fluids and wear items, proactively upgrade radiator and oil cooler and fit some gauges with warning lights. Follow that and you will be giving any vehicle the absolute best chance of giving you a trouble-free experience.

(ps, it's SR20DET, not SR20DETT)

• Like Like x 1
  3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

If you're just starting out pick up and old beemer and get some seat time.

Shouldn't be too hard to find something suitable given that you live in Germany.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DriftSultan

DriftSultan New Member

Thank you for the replies guys.
    Sorry SR20DET* obviously, probably put a typo in between. And yes beemers are found like sand at the beach in germany. Yet they are beat up to the furthest and the price range is just like any cragislist offer (for you guys its craigslist) that says ‚no low ballers i know what i have‘. Thats why i am looking forward to own a car like the nissan, which is a well appreciated car over here that no idiot can abuse and throw away. Cuz they are pretty rare and expensive. And before even daring to start this sports i wanted to make sure i have the most important knowledge, as i have experience and understanding for the whole car, yet still can learn alot from the pros.
    In this case thank you for explaining me the most important things about it since i thought its a weak spot of the sr20.
    Cheers.