Keeve's Lowstyle S13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by prblmslvrs, Jun 5, 2015.

1. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Cheers guys. Really happy with how it looks just now, need to get my kouki spats repaired and back on. I've just used an old mismatched red paint on the arches so will need to sort that at some point too.

I've uploaded some of the footage from the Track hire on Friday, was tough getting it shortened down as there was quite alot of decent clips with all the 3 layouts but if it was any longer than 5 minutes people will loose interest.

2. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Turns out the wee bit of off roading had fucked my Kazama tie rod ends. Managed to source two "OEM quality" ends locally. Ended up with more problems. Tie rods are now too short again. Ordered some +36mm ones now instead of +22mm ones that I have on just now also the Tie rods now go over the LCA instead of using it as a lock stop so will have to weld on some lock stops before Sunday.

[​IMG]

Headlights just stopped working. Raging as if I need parts I won't get them in time for my last opportunity for a drift day before going back down south. Running out of things to try so have made a post: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drifting-chat/246507-s13-headlights-stopped-working.html

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

You have a welder dude. Why not cut them, sleeve them and weld back together?
    Going good in that video, fast for the conditions.
    Nice to see minimum handbrake too.

4. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Headlights fixed, of course it was the Arch loom rubbing the wing...
    I had considered it but I don't trust myself that I'd do em straight or strong enough, so best left to folk who know what they're on about. That and its an MOT fail when it comes round to it.Cheers mate! Something thats always stuck with me driving wet days was Fraser joking about noone going fast enough when I was driving at a wet day. So now I try and push faster and faster.Handbrake, I only really use it to scrub speed cause I'm too shite a driver to left foot brake. That and when its absolutely soaking and my front tyres do nothing.

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Phone post fail.

#65 Andy318ti, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Whilst looking about for my light issues I came across these shreds of tyre. (knew there was a hole there from hammering out arch clearance. on the list to fix.)

[​IMG]

The tyre had been rubbing on the edges of the tread from the wing so didn't think anything of it.

Fitted my new +36mm track rods and regular ends after fucking my kazamas. Doing my "Alignment" I find this.

[​IMG]

I have no idea how that's still holding air and I didn't get a blowout. £160 on tyres down the drain then.

Culprit was this area, picture was taken after I leathered fuck out of it with a hammer to get it not to catch anything and started bringing the paint back to weld.
    [​IMG]

Decided I can't just risk having it hammered out of the way and ruin more tyres so did a very rushed/shit patch over it just to protect the tyres as a temporary measure until I do my "tub" which will only be raising that section for up and down clearance, hammer will do the rest.

[​IMG]

My NS arch always scrubbed on full lock so took the angle grinder to it for clearance.
    [​IMG]

Looks like ass so I'm going to source another arch.

Since I'm in Scotland still thought "Fuck it, Driftland again". Started checking over the car to be sure its sound and found this.
    [​IMG]
    and both CV joints looking like this.
    [​IMG]

Exhaust mount ripped off from my 4x4 adventure at DL, CV joints from being so low.

So blowing exhaust and fucked CV joints I was about to throw the towel in for Driftland.

#66 prblmslvrs, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  7. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Fuck it...
    [​IMG]

Dry in Lochgelly for the past 2 days and forecast was sun, wasn't going to pass up on some dry skids so took the risk. Loaded up spare shafts in case they died and the blowing exhaust didn't make it too much louder so just went for it...

Running shiftlock which was my least favourite layout. I was hoping for full outer since it was dry but can't have everything. Think this was my first time driving shiftlock regular in the S13 and I absolutely loved it. I was watching some on board footage of a few boys from Finalboss the night before and most were using handbrake. On this layout I was thinking I'll throw it in fast off the wall, jab the handbrake to initiate and scrub speed at the same time instead of my usual flick and kicks.

The way the car reacted to this was exactly the driving style I've been looking for, fast snappy initiations. More I started doing it the more I could snap it round which lead to this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know when it classes as a backie but don't care I'm fucking stoked on this. Ross got heaps of rad photos of the S13 too so will just dump them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cracking day, felt really consistent and the only thing to go wrong was an engine mount getting loose. Couple 19mm spaners and it was sorted.
    Only had 4 skid tyres and ran out of them after 5 runs but I was content with my day so wasn't fussed. Packed up and left before the day was done too which was good for tackling the 3 hour trip back up north. :thumbs:

8. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Forgot to change Spot metering mode so the track white outs sometimes which is annoying.
    Still not sure about if I liked initiating off the handbrake as I've always been against it, but when I was trying just flicks and kicks I was going way too wide and deep into the corner. Suppose fast entry and handbrake is better than slower and none though.

#68 prblmslvrs, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

nice dude.... i can not wait to get to this level

10. mouseS13

mouseS13 Member

Holy shit dude that looked like a fun day !!!!

11. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Looking good dude, using an s13 properly!

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

Rad as fuck, love how this thing looks as well. Oem bumpers low on some monoblock 17s is a winner

13. Stylecase-Adam

This thing looks rad man! And great to see you're using it properly too :D !

14. josh3880

josh3880 Member

Adam we need to go up to Driftland to skid with Keeve!

15. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Cheers mate! I don't think I'm anything special so hearing that is quite awesome! Just go drive as hard as you can to your ability and worry about the consequences after.

Aye Paul, you need to get down next time with me!

Thanks mate, Its taken it an absolute trooper too. So much for S bodies being unreliable!

Cheers. I've never really been a huge fan of kits etc until I got into drift cars and theres still a part of me that just wants to make it as cool as I can on stock styling.

Aye lads, get it done! Happy to arrange a private booking as I've said to Josh.

16. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

So normally I've been trying to do updates before/after drift days. Since I'm going to be taking off back to London on Monday I thought I may as well update this with where I am at the moment.

[​IMG]

Drove round to a mates to swap over tyres, had been running 16's to cut about in since the drift day waiting on new tyres. Ended up having a last minute change of mind on what I was doing tyre-wise. I fitted some NS2 205/45/R17's onto my 7.5J Rays to run up front and put the 8.5J's into the rear. Since I hadn't thought about this I didn't really have tyres for the 8.5's so I left the 205/40/R17's on them... This was after seeing a photo of Ali Graham's PS13 at Driftland with what looks like not huge wheels with heaps of lock. Decided if the 7.5's were up front I could get more out of the superstyle knuckles.

The drive up and down the A9 with the car this low has taken its toll on the underside of the car. Playing "Dodge the cats eye's" with the exhaust was pretty intense, and a lot of the time I did not win. Que the fucked exhaust.

[​IMG]

I had a few choices to fix: Cut out the smashed section and put in a new bit of plate just flat. Weld up a twin exit exhaust from scratch or Salvage what was left out of my old exhaust to make a straight pipe.

I went with the latter.

[​IMG]

Basically bolted up a 3" section, Tacked, welded. Held up next section, tacked, welded. Originally I was going for a slight upsweep at the end as i'm a sucker for Bozo style exhausts but I think it looked a bit wank with how little i had and it being 3" wide so it was cut to make just a straight pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had been told to read Daze's S14 build for downpipe ideas by a mate. So from what was originally "find out what this downpipe is" - I ended up reading the whole thing! In this theres reference to spring droop. I thought fuck it why not. And besides there was still 10-15mm to be dropped on my rear coilovers. - Turns out there was about 10mm of preload on the rear. I won't try to pretend and understand what the benefit/problem is with this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst I was under the car I noticed the NS rear brake pipe was wet. turns out the bolt was slightly loose and got an extra 1/4 turn on it. Got my brother out to put his foot on the brakes and it pissed fluid everywhere. Luckily I had spare hoses left over from trying to get the mx5 brake lines the right length so bashed one of those in and cable tied it out of the way.

[​IMG]

The leaky bastard
    [​IMG]

Now since I had introduced spring droop, I had lowered the car more... and it is sitting boss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I fucking hate that arch

So with the Car sitting back on all 4 wheels I took it for a wee run. had an idea to go to the small town just on the outside of Inverness as I always see people take pictures of cars there with the Kessock Bridge in the background. What was originally meant to be an ironic photo for facebook, turned into me grabbing heaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that fucking arch man...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out the 205/40/R17's on the rear with the extra lows made the rear far too low. I smashed my rear subframe/chassis rails about 10 times on a mildly bumpy road. The bangs had pedestrians shitting themselves. Need to size up to 225/45/R17's or something to get height in the rear.

17. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Last day off up north I tackled into the few wee jobs I would have to do before the next drift day.

First off was adjusting the lock stops for the 7.5's. I managed to pretty much wind them all the way in. Tested lock, rubbed slightly, wound back. More lock than I'd ever need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst I was doing this it would start snowing, I'd go inside for a coffee, then jump back out.

[​IMG]
    (Aye thats what I have to work on up here)

Decided to leave doing Driveshafts but in the end just thought I'd make a start and leave it jacked up if need be. Driveshaft replacements on S bodies are a piece of piss. About 30 minutes a side if that. Unreal.

Old vs New
    [​IMG]

Both fucked ones.
    [​IMG]

I don't expect these new ones to last very long although the CV boots do seem longer. I've sourced a 4.1 diff that comes with shafts out of a Stagea so I will gain 10mm from those driveshafts and not need the spacers.

Cleared up my shit ready to leave it for another month.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Love the commitment to the lows

19. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Thanks mate, Always kind of have pushed how far I can get with lowering cars. Spent a few days grading my drive haha.

Found a few more pics from the last February Winter session.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Love this build!

How have you found the spring droop affects the handling of the car? I also want to chase that last 10-15mm but don't want to start fucking things up haha :)