Köglerstyle S13 - Turbo BMW powered Drift car on a budget

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Christian, Sep 9, 2009.

1. maxel

maxel Member

Very interesting! :)

2. Christian

Christian Member

With that sorted, I looked after the most vital part of engine life - the cooling system.

Made an undertray out of carbon fibre, to improve airflow THROUGH the radiator.

[​IMG]

With the engine in place and the square radiator there is not much space for big fans.

[​IMG]

So I made some fit

[​IMG]

These are actually from a Primera, and they do a damn good job at sucking.

[​IMG]

I've also received my new turbo last week. It doesn't even look that big in this pic.

[​IMG]

...nor in this.

[​IMG]

Btw look at the air duct, I think cooling issues are a thing of the past
    ...as long as I do not crash. :D

Here you get better idea of the sheer size of that thing, especially
    when you know that the smaller turbo is as big as an HX40 - capable of
    over 600hp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should be able to fullfil all my power needz I'll ever have, not this year though.

Before I need some grippy tires, I've already made space for them.

[​IMG]

3. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

I think your nuts , but I admire your persistence and skill

4. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

I think you need to be sectioned!
    But man did i enjoy reading your build thread. What a fucking Ninja you are mate!

I totaly admire you for all your work and work ethics.

We need more people like you building cars on here. Who gives a fuck what it looks like!

a) is it bonkers
    b) does it skid

Your yes on both counts.

Top work that man.

5. Christian

Christian Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

The car is almost finished now, just some small jobs left to do.
    In the last few days I've been more busy building my website DRIFTAIDS.COM, so make sure you check it out.

In the meantime I've lightened the doors and finally got around to fit the perspex windows that were laying around for almost a year now.
    That saved hefty 14kg per door.

[​IMG]

The get the right curvature I've used the steel wire of the power windows to tension them.

[​IMG]

Also fitted the turbo, which had some weird t4 style flange.

[​IMG]

Still waiting for the new bonnet to arrive.

[​IMG]

When the bonnet finally arrives, I'm gonna register it for a week for final testing, and I so want to check out that big turbo.

6. trax69

trax69 New Member

engine spec?cr?ecu?injectors?
    i have an e30 touring 335,also going to boost it and need to get some know-how. :)
    what whp you are waiting?

pic of my car... :)

7. Christian

Christian Member

- stock internals
    - very important - stronger headstuds
    - stock BMW Headgasket, but the thicker one (2.2mm I think)
    so a bit lower than stock compression about 9.0
    - 870cc siemens high impendance injectors running on E85
    - megasquirt ecu

With the old turbo I had about 350whp @11psi but didn't measure it, but it felt really strong (full boost in 4th @ 3200rpm).
    In a straight line it broke traction in 4th in the dry.

With good tuning I think around 500whp is achievable on E85, but at the end of the day it makes whatever it makes. It'll be overkill anyway as long as you're not running slicks.

8. Dex

Dex kut!

haha that turbo! awesome!

9. Christian

Christian Member

Okay, I haven't updated in quite some time, and there's a lot to catch up.

So with the car sorted I was finally able to compete in a full season in 2011.

The whole season didn't start that bad, the car was running great and I had only minor problems throughout the whole year,
    which was quite an achievement after the disastrous 2010 season.

In my first event where the car held together all the way to qualifying, I managed to qualify 2nd right away.
    That's the first time I could see how well I and the car could do in competition.

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly I got knocked out in Top 16 because of (used) tire delamination, but I was still quite happy with the weekend.
    Probably had more seat time that single weekend than in whole 2010.

The 2nd round went even better, I qualified 1st and walked away with the win at the Nürburgring.
    And with once again only minor car issues.

[​IMG]

A few weeks later me and my friends did a local hill climb event where we left quite some impressions.
    Driving wise it was the most exciting thing I've ever did... till Karpacz.

One week later it was the 3rd round of the IDS Championship in Sosnova, Czech.

The czech organizer joked about how he would pay 100krones (~4€) to the first guy who would scratch the wall on the first corner. Nobody tried it because you were driving almost straight ahead towards the wall when initiating - in 4th. ;)

[​IMG]

I've never got that 4€.

After the pic above was taken, I was changing tires and exactly one run later this had happened.

[​IMG]

It was looking really bad, and the organizers wouldn't allow me on track because of the sharp edges and so on.
    Somehow my friends and I managed to make it look like new again. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

After another technical inspection we were allowed back on track, and then the fun just had started.
    No more worrying about crashing, just going harder and harder every lap. Scratching, touching and smashing the wall - there was nothing to loose.

I managed to go from top32 through to top8 where I lost to the winner of the event, he was just too fast for my shit tires.

So 4 weeks later the car was fixed just in time for the next round.
    It was raining all weekend and didn't look like much fun at first.
    It was so slippery, it was like driving on ice. Fun for about a minute, but became very quickly very boring.
    Then Phil Guillod told me totally excited how much fun it was doing the backward entries here
    and how lowered the tire pressure to get more grip.
    I tried that, and voila - now it was fun.
    Now I could build up enough speed to initiate 200meters before the hairpin, sometimes backwards, sometimes spinning and almost crashing.
    I think I could get the backward entry right maybe 4 out of 10 times - and it was so much fun.

By the way, I've won that round too. Look at my happy face. :D

[​IMG]

Next up was Nürbring again, this time reversed. At first everyone was moaning about running it backwards,
    but I decided to give it a try. After a few laps it was quite nice to drive it like that, I would hit the limiter in 4th gear
    in the 2nd turn - and there was a whole straight downhill section just after that, just to give an indication how fast it was.

I didn't take too long till I tried the backward entry again, this time in the dry.

[​IMG]

Just when I thought I get it right, the gearbox couldn't handle the abuse any longer.

That was quite early on friday practice. So what to do?

Of course I tried to find a replacement somewhere, ...anywhere.
    But being a 4-speed gearbox that went out of production about 30 years ago - this turned out to be impossible.

Only chance to make it back was to fix what I had.
    Thanks to many friendly people who helped me out big time we dissambled the gearbox on the toilet,
    grinded down the last teeth that were left on the 3rd gear and put it back together as a 3 speed box.

[​IMG]

And so I was back on track on saturday morning. It even was quite drivable like that, cause the car had enough torque to pull the whole track in 4th - barely, but do able.

So the fun could start again. By now drivers got to know each other pretty well, and especially Phil and I tried to encourage everyone to do some nasty drift trains.

[​IMG]

I think the longest we've had was 8 or 9 cars. Fun times.

When it came to battles I managed to get throught to top8 where I met Niels Becker.
    When chasing I couldn't slow down enough in 4th to keep drifting and stay behind him, so I lost there already.
    But on the lead run I went superfast, not lifting anywhere (not that I ever did) and put on quite a lead. But the battle was lost.

[​IMG]

Next round was Italy, because of the long trip and the knowlegde to travel all that way to drift in a parking lot, not many people turned up.
    I didn't want to go either, but I was 2nd in the championship and I needed the prize money for the championship ranking.

Drifting around in parking lots isn't that exciting anymore, when you've done hillclimbs and 200km/h downhill battles before. So everyone was getting bored with the track pretty quickly.
    I turned to the other drivers and we did what we liked best - messing around. Starting with battles, then trains, then trains with overtaking and so on.

[​IMG]

It was kind of sad when it came to the battles, cause the stuff we did in practice was so much more exciting.
    Anyway in top4 I lost to phil, who won the event - well deserved I must say. I came 3rd.

[​IMG]

Then it was time for the final round Nürburgring again. Because we where running that track so often, I didn't even try to practice the perfect line - instead I'm just going nuts, as usual.

[​IMG]

I was 2nd in the championship but too far behind 1st place to catch up.
    Only when he would suffer a technical failure, I would have a shot at the championship - and that was exactly what happend.

I wanted to play it safe and only run the best tires I had, but when it came to Top8 battles they let me down once more and delaminated.
    I had could have straighened out and lost the battle for sure, or just keep the throttle planted and hope for the best. I did the latter... I always do the latter. :nod:

The wall sucked me in and spit me out, I've lost the battle, and worse I lost the championship by 1 single point, and even worse - 1000€ prize money less (you wouldn't believe it, but I'm quite short on money :rolleyes:).

[​IMG]

Anyway, it was quite an achievement, I think. And I've learned a lot in that year, technical and driving wise.

[​IMG]

More on that later.

10. Hazzles

Hazzles Member

How have I only just come across this thread?! Awesome dedication/car/engine swap. Turbo'd BMW 6 cylinder lumps sound amazing.

11. scottycsx

scottycsx Jdm tight yo!

All i can say is legend!

12. povlsen

povlsen Member

Cool build there mate! - but the weldings? to be honest i would'nt drive with that, its just isnt safe!

Anyways, love the amount of effort you putted in to this! :)

13. dsmeds

dsmeds Member

you sir, are my new idol!!! (Y)

14. Christian

Christian Member

Thanks for the kind words.

@polvsen

What welds do you mean exactly, they get better and better throughout the build.

15. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

Holy shit, how've I missed this thread lol

Awesome read mate, love the mentality :D

Keep up the good work :cool:

16. querolant

querolant Member

come on, post those pics from Karpacz!

17. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II Darkside Warrior

Donkeysausage.

Loving your work dude

18. zainey

zainey Member

just spent the last hour reading this! like others have said....great work... I love that you won't give up and you seem to just try something... if it doesn't work...fuck it...next thing to try..

wicked post...you seem a top guy...rock on !

19. Christian

Christian Member

After the good 2011 season I ripped the car apart once again, cause I had so many ideas in my head of what I could improve on.

Also the front end still needed some repair work. To make this and future repairs as easy as possible, I cut everything off and replaced it with tubing. Also better in crashes, which I was going to find out a few months later.

[​IMG]

Shortly after that, I found a new job 300kms away from my garage, which meant there was almost no time left to work on the car.

One of the things that needed to be improved on badly was the looks of the car.
    But when you're broke, you can't give a shit about it. You're just happy to be able to make it out there. But people don't see that.
    It's just a piece of junk in the pits, and only starts to shine when in motion, but it still looks like junk on pictures.

So with the new job and money available I tried my best to sort that out. Starting out with a 2nd hand bodykit....

[​IMG]

.....and some big wheels - and that's where all went wrong.

[​IMG]

With some shiney 18" inch wheels the car was looking so much better, but it also gave me shitloads of headaches.

Now that the wheel diameter grew from tiny 15 inches to a massive 18" wheel, it would steer right into the turbo.

To make things even worse, I've found that special turbo on ebay which I just needed to have on my car.
    The old HX50 wasn't bad, but a bit laggy out of tight corners.
    I was quite happy when I've found that brand new Schwitzer S300V turbo on ebay for an unbelievable cheap 200€ on ebay.

[​IMG]

The funky titanium compressor is as modern as the efr series...

[​IMG]

...and the variable geometry turbine housing should be able to massivly widen my powerband.

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly this hightech stuff has it's disadvantages too. First of all it's the size.
    The compressor wheel was smaller than on any other turbo I've ever fitted to the engine,
    but the turbo itself was still taking up much more space than any of the others.
    With size comes the weight - 30kg's of it to be exact.
    And lastly it was only rated for an egt of 800°C continous, otherwise the vtg vanes could seize.

So what to do?

Let's put it in the back then. Brilliant! ...I thought.

[​IMG]

Moving weight from the front the rear - always good!
    EGT would certainly be lower than 800°C at the back - so it's safe.
    And there is more than enough space to fit 2 of these - problems solved.

mmhhh - what about the response? Might suffer a bit, but the vtg will take care of that - surely.

Now some smartasses will think: "How could you be so dumb to think that that could work?"

Well some smartasses also told me that if I boost a stock NA engine with over 0.2bar it'll blow up... - well up until today it has seen up to 8x times as much boost and it has yet to blow up.

I just had to try it - no one would be able to tell exactly how good or bad it would work until someone would have tried - and I tried!

Unfortunatly it has taken me 6 months to finish the car and when I finally got to test drive it, it turned out to be pretty shit.
    And no matter if I controlled the vanes by boost or by exhaust backpressure, if I kept them shut, fully open or anything in between. That fucker just wouldn't spool. It was taking around 6 seconds of full throttle to reach 1.4bar of boost, that means keeping it pinned from 2nd gear, all the way through 3rd and finally in 4th there was slowly some boost building up and when I lifted the whole cabin filled up with blue smoke - oil smoke.

Back at the garage I saw that I've fried the bearings in just about 10 minutes of driving - damn! That was around mid June.

Already having missed so many events this year, there was one event on the top of my list that I didn't want to miss - Karpacz!
    There were only 10 weeks left from that test drive to the actual event.
    Realizing how little stuff I had done in the last 7 months, I knew there was no way to come up with a new front mount manifold in 10 weeks time - and there was no space to do so anyway.
    I fixed the oiling system and switched back to my old H1E turbo.

Somehow I came back to an idea that I had already a year earlier, but back then I had no money to build it and I wasn't so dependend on it either.
    It was something which I could just build in time, I hoped.

The video shows what I'm on about.

That was the first time it fired up. I and my friend with the shaky hand were shitting ourselves when the turbo spooled up so violently to a speed it wasn't designed for.

Well here's the result:

[​IMG]

Testing didn't stop there. A few days later I've won on a brand new Schwitzer S3B turbo on ebay - also for around 210€.
    But for the following tests I was more carefully with the fuelling.

Problem was that the burn wouldn't start immediatly after lifting off. I had to wait a second before I could turn on the fuel.
    So I changed some parts of the concept - only to make it worse. I've build an entirely new combustion chamber which wasn't efficient enough to burn enough fuel to spool up the turbo - it sounded gutless and egt's skyrocketed up to 1100°C quickly - and it still wasn't easy to start.

But then it was already too late to mess around with it any longer, because there were so many other unfinished things left to do to make the car ready for Karpacz.

The car had been "finished" just in time when we left to Poland. When I loaded the car on the trailer there had been no testing, boost was unknown and mapping hadn't been done yet - and don't forget I haven't competed in the car for 11 months(!).

What a great start to a great weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dex

Dex kut!

owwww THATS this car now! deffo more info/pics needed on the anti-lag!