Landing a new import

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PerceptionNZ, Feb 7, 2018.

1. PerceptionNZ

PerceptionNZ New Member

Hi guys, have had a bit of a look here but can't seem to quickly find what I'm looking for (apologies for being lazy).

I'm currently looking at bringing a near show spec 180sx over from ebisu through a good reputable exporter (powervehicles.com). It's not cheap, but the thing is the most impressive 180 I've seen in years.

What I wanna know is, when I pay the money and the vehicle lands in whatever port it comes to, what's the process from there? Obviously I'll need to pay tax at the port? Once this is paid, from what I can see on other sites i need to get it registered and certified. Now as it's over 10 years old it appears I only need to get it run through an MOT, and one other test which i cannot remember...

I'll need to register it etc and get plates I would assume. My main concern is the emissions testing here and what I need to do to comply, basically the list of modifications is huge (it's street legal mind, great condition inside and out) and I'm concerned this may impact on it being able to be registered on road.

If somebody knows the process that I need to take from boat to my driveway would be much appreciated!!

If I've missed a thread that already answered this, please point me in the right direction and I apologies for wasting time!!

P

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Have power Vehicles offered to hook you up with a company over here that could do everything for you?

3. PerceptionNZ

PerceptionNZ New Member

They arnt aware of current regulations, he has advise but at this stage he has said he would purely be guessing.

He has also done so, but I wanted to do a little research of myself to see if it' straight forward. Or worth handing over to someone else and paying them for it

4. Axeboy

Axeboy New Member

Easiest is to just pay a Customs Agent to sort the paperwork. Its not hard but the fees are pretty low.

They would ensure payment of VAT & Duty etc so the car can be released from the docks. Its then up to you to get it home. I tend to use my agent for delivery to my garage where it can be kept awaiting registration.

Off the top of my head:

1. Car on the boat
    2. Send the translated docs to the Agent (usually posted by the importer)
    3. They will sort the paperwork to allow release of the car once you pay the bill
    4. Collect the car or arrange transport
    5. Get it converted (usual, fog light mainly) and get it MOT'd on the chassis number
    6. Insure it on the chassis number
    7. Order a DVLA import pack (now) and complete this yourself including the documents above, MOT, insurance and proof of Duty paid
    8. Registration done, order plates

You dont need any other checks if its over 10yrs old, just the MOT. You dont have any other emission checks as the MOT is the requirement basically.

The customs/shipping agent I use normally is JC Shipping, Cheryle can be emailed on cheryle@jcshipping.co.uk and is very helpful with the process.

As I said, you can do the paperwork yourself to have the car released but I just use them