Licence demotion/relegation?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Stavros, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Was having this convo the other day, so thought I'd bring it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you have a BDC 'whatever' licence, that's it, you're at that level, or better, for ever, no matter how well you do or how much you compete in the future.

But, for SuperPro especially, times/talents/skills have moved on from the years when people were first given SuperPro licences- Are all the SuperPro licence holders/competitors really better than all the Pros/Semis?

Wondering if like football etc a league style relegation/promotion thing is a good idea?

2. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

I spoke about this to someone months ago and thought the whole relegation/promotion thing would be great.

Make it more interesting and have people want that top spot more like top 4 promote and same with relegate...

3. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

Agreed should have to fight for your place every year but if your in pro and phil Morrison has a bad year I guess your fucked ;)

4. r30jew

r30jew Member

not sure how this would work?
    some people only do one or two events a year, meaning they would end the year below someone who had done crap over all 5 rounds.

5. r30jew

r30jew Member

you really think they would demote phil even if he did have a crap year? LOL

6. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

I believe if you dont compete at all for 2 years you have to re-do your license, probably different for SuperPro standard though understandably.

From memory the only class you can get downgraded from is SuperPro but i can't remember what the rules were, something like if you don't qualify a certain amount of times you go back down to Pro.

SuperPro has only been going for 2 years i think anyway, if they're not good enough to be there they'd likely be moved down.

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Has anyone ever been moved down from one of the classes?

8. reeperR32

If you can't complete atleast half the rounds then why you competing .. To fill the numbers or to win is what I'd be asking?

You need to atleast give yourself a chance to do well by attending lots of rounds..

This way it would alsO keep numbers down cos as I see it, bdc hold several licence days every year and only lose drivers when they chose to retire, try something different etc etc..

Just seem bdc drivers will be in the thousands soon (or maybe it already is) lol

9. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

You really think I was serious about phil going down to pro it was just an extreme example?? Lol

#9 Car Media, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Sounds like a good idea too me

11. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

My brain is a bit dead this evening, i don't know, i seem to remember hearing that someone was moving down though.

I only did 2 rounds this year and still had fun, not everyone does BDC to win it, it's just a good experience :)

12. dannyboyS14a

dannyboyS14a Active Member

From my understanding you get demoted if you don't score any points i.e.don't make top 16 at any of the events.

Luckily I just scraped through but that can go for anyone who has a bad season or issues throughout the season, I for example lost a sponsor at round 1 meaning that I was back to a 250bhp SR trying to mix it with Super Pros's and a lot of other issues along the way. Just gotta keep plugging away, its paid off as it appears with new sponsors we should be quite competitive next seaon.

13. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Grant Laker didnt score any points in Super Pro this year, that gives you the option to move down. He will be pro class for 2013.

Will be nice competing against him again.

14. reeperR32

I see a competition where you play to win tbh lozz..

Have fun obviously it's why we do what we love

15. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

The thing is, this applys to all classes, but just for this example lets use Pro and semi Pro.

Say no there are 32 competitors in pro at each round so there could technially be 160 competitors in a year (probably never going to happen but Say for arguments sake, The top 20 cars are the same for all rounds so, that leaves 12 new competitors at each round. so a total of 96 in a year. in most cases the lowest 20 of the Drivers in Pro would have not quailified at any rounds or Maybe only doing one round and not quilified. so lets demote them great. youve demoted 4 drivers, That are in a group of 20+ that didnt quaily or score points. and who may never ever compete again anyways.

maybe the figures are abit inflated but you get the point? theres almost no point demoting people.

Unless all 96 places at all 5/6 events are paid for before the year starts. then you have a set number of drivers for the year.... If people can just re-licence, or rejoin at any point in the year, then demotion system is pointless?

16. Clive

Clive Active Member

as far as I know.

you can only be demoted from super pro to 'pro': like Polo was in 2012.

anyone can work their way up. Look at Huxley :bow:

you can also jump up a class by getting 3 lucky runs on a licensing day... Ricky emery as an example... although he still span on one of his runs gained a pro license for 2013 :)

17. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

It's a fucking competition.. Why would you enter for any other reason than to WIN. It's not a good experience, it's a huge load of money and a pitiful amount of seat time..

I'm entering to win.

18. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

but out of 64 drivers, only 16 got a license iirc.. (at Lydden few months ago)

19. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

I call bullshit of the highest order to that mate

20. Clive

Clive Active Member

Huge load of money and pitful amount of seat time?

seems about right to me :)